Sundays Pastrami.....

DanMcG

I wasn't sure if this should be here or in the homemade meat section so feel free to move it if you wish. Also I have to admit I don't know the rules here about pic's. I try to follow the rules but rarely read them so if there's to many or they are to big I'll delete the post. thanks

I'm one of those people that buys meat on sale and sticks in the freezer and to not use it up as fast as I buy it. So I'm doing some cleaning out and found a couple corned beef points that thought would taste good as pastrami....and I was right ….
Had a cold pastrami sammie for lunch today at work that was damn good, but I just finished a hot one for dinner..and it was awesome...been a while since I had pastrami.

Here's how it went;
Rinsed the two points in cold water then dried them good. Then made a rub of 3 parts course ground coriander, 3 parts black pepper and 1 part garlic powder.

403773731.jpg

Coated them good with the rub and placed back in the frig for a few hours;

403773732.jpg

403773733.jpg

After about 6 hours resting in the frig I fired up some charcoal and got the smoker running at about 250°f , added some hickory and just left them alone till they reached 165° internal temp.
here they are almost finished.

403773734.jpg

Once they reached temperature I pulled them and wrapped in HD aluminum foil and let them cool down before I placed them back in the frig for the night. This morning I sliced them up.

403773735.jpg

and a close up to make ya drool;

403773736.jpg

My wife who is not a big meat eater or smoked food eater was eating it almost as fast as I could slice it so it couldn't be to bad.

Thanks for checking out my pastrami.

Last edited:

chilefarmer

Looks really good from my place. I to make pastrami, I have never tried the corned beef type, but might. Yours looks mighty nice. CF

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Looks Wonderful Dan! We love drool worthy pics....and these are definitely drool worthy!!!!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Pastrami is my weakness. Mmmmmmmmmm That looks GREAT Dan!!!!! :tiphat: :clap: :clap:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Dan, those are the LEANEST points I have ever seen!

I like fatty pastrami, so I look for corned beef points that have some fat cap on them. I know, I know ... it's bad for me!

But so good! :wub:

Lee

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I wasn't sure if this should be here or in the homemade meat section so feel free to move it if you wish. Also I have to admit I don't know the rules here about pic's. I try to follow the rules but rarely read them so if there's to many or they are to big I'll delete the post. thanks

I'm one of those people that buys meat on sale and sticks in the freezer and to not use it up as fast as I buy it. So I'm doing some cleaning out and found a couple corned beef points that thought would taste good as pastrami....and I was right ….
Had a cold pastrami sammie for lunch today at work that was damn good, but I just finished a hot one for dinner..and it was awesome...been a while since I had pastrami.

Here's how it went;
Rinsed the two points in cold water then dried them good. Then made a rub of 3 parts course ground coriander, 3 parts black pepper and 1 part garlic powder.

403773731.jpg

Coated them good with the rub and placed back in the frig for a few hours;

403773732.jpg

403773733.jpg

After about 6 hours resting in the frig I fired up some charcoal and got the smoker running at about 250°f , added some hickory and just left them alone till they reached 165° internal temp.
here they are almost finished.

403773734.jpg

Once they reached temperature I pulled them and wrapped in HD aluminum foil and let them cool down before I placed them back in the frig for the night. This morning I sliced them up.

403773735.jpg

and a close up to make ya drool;

403773736.jpg

My wife who is not a big meat eater or smoked food eater was eating it almost as fast as I could slice it so it couldn't be to bad.

Thanks for checking out my pastrami.

Yummy! I love to use pastrami on reuben sandwiches.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Dan,

That is absolutely mouth watering. Looking at the pix, you can almost taste it.

Andy

DanMcG

Thanks for the kinds words people, I'm glad you liked the looks of it. Not sure what to do for an encore

DanMcG

One thing I forgot to mention if you're using a store bought corned beef.
They tend to be salty, so you might want to soak it in cold water for a couple hours or so and change it every 30-45 minutes to pull some of the salt out.
then cut off a thin slice and fry it to see if it still to salty. If good move on, if too salty soak again,

Embryodad

Wow! Dan... my wife would eat that too. She is a fusssy when it comes to fat on beef, but on the other side, she will eat pigs feet....go figure??

I like pastrami, and usually with the fat drippage as I eat it, but that beef is so lean.

I can't wait to prep and cook a corned beef into pastrami.

Great recipe.. Thanks so much!