Has anyone every deep-fried a turkey before?

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here are two more pics of my nephew's deep fried turkey. One of them shows him carving the bird. :applause:

Attachments

• Deep fried turkey done by my nephew.jpg
    Deep fried turkey done by my nephew.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 156
  • My nephew carving the turkey.jpg
    My nephew carving the turkey.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 157

Shermie

Site Supporter
I'm not understanding your question Rick. If you are concerned about the amount of calories and fat, they are pretty similar. If you've never tasted a deep fried turkey, they are amazing and well worth the small amount of extra calories and fat compared to a roasted/baked turkey. I don't know anyone who eats deep fried turkey everyday but it certainly is a treat when you get to have some.

You're right, Mama!!! It certainly is, and I, also, would not eat it every day.

But I WILL ask my nephew to deep fry one when I go visit him in July!! It HAS been a long while since I had some of it.

For those of you who might be interested in this, you can substitute soybean (veggie) oil in place of the peanut oil. It is far less expensive than peanut oil, yet it has the exact same high-temp qualities as peanut oil. Also, if you don't want to do a big turkey, you can also deep fry a small whole chicken, which would cook even faster!! :weber:

Last edited:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmmm That sure looks good Sherman. Mouth watering. :thumb:
I have not deep fried one for quite a while. Seems it's about time to do it again. :D

Shermie

Site Supporter
Mmmmmmm That sure looks good Sherman. Mouth watering. :thumb:
I have not deep fried one for quite a while. Seems it's about time to do it again. :D

Thaks, Doc!!

I think I'll do turkey PARTS next time, over doing a whole turkey. To much to try to eat!! :cooking:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hmmm I like the way you are thinking Shermie. For just the two of us we could easily do some turkey parts in the little deep frier. :thumb: Good idea. :D

Shermie

Site Supporter
Hmmm I like the way you are thinking Shermie. For just the two of us we could easily do some turkey parts in the little deep frier. :thumb: Good idea. :D

Yup, thanks! That's what I'M going to do, the next time that I get turkey parts!! Glad to help out!!

Since they can't be stuffed anyway, they would be much easier to manage in your regular size deep fryer, rather than getting out the big cumbersome turkey deep fryer!!:applause:

thegrindre

You're all grease lovers. LOLOL

Mama said all right here.
I'm not understanding your question Rick. If you are concerned about the amount of calories and fat, they are pretty similar. If you've never tasted a deep fried turkey, they are amazing and well worth the small amount of extra calories and fat compared to a roasted/baked turkey. I don't know anyone who eats deep fried turkey everyday but it certainly is a treat when you get to have some.
That scared me away and is why the south is obese with heart conditions more then any other place in the world. It's that little extra that'll do it to ya.
Of course it just isn't the turkey, it's the eggs, bacon, biscuits, chicken, okra, pork chops, hamburger steak, bread, ice cream, etc., etc., etc. that gets eaten everyday that adds up.
The south is famous for frying most everything.
No thank you, I'm more health conscious then that.

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Well, you might want to rethink your brownies then. The average 2" brownie has more calories and fat than a serving of deep fried turkey. Medium rare bacon has to be loaded with fat but, like everything else, if you want to eat it, you need to eat it in moderation. Once or twice a year isn't going to be a big deal.

All things in moderation.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>No thank you, I'm more health conscious then that.

hopefully you then don't eat any of the other traditional stuff on the Thanksgiving table - the turkey - deep fried or deep frozen - is the _least_ of it.

thegrindre

Actually, I don't celebrate thanksgiving or any of the holidays because of religious beliefs.
So, no, I don't eat anything around a thanksgiving table and I don't like turkey or stuffing anyway.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>Of course it just isn't the turkey, it's the eggs, bacon, biscuits, chicken, okra, pork chops, hamburger steak, bread, ice cream, etc., etc., etc. that gets eaten everyday that adds up.

be sure to let us know when you revise the recipes.

1 12oz. can of Pet Evaporated Milk plus another 1/2 cup of any milk later
1 Tablespoon Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter

1 large pasteurized egg
1/4 cup Florida Crystals Organic Sugar or granulated white sugar
1/2 cup packed C&H Brown Sugar

Dollop of Real whipped cream or mini marshmallows (Optional)

4 Tablespoons Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter (1/2 stick), divided
2 cups Half & Half milk

3. In goes 3 tablespoons of real butter. (Just a pad less then a 1/4 stick)
6. Top it off with grated 'stinky cheese' (Parmesan).

1/2 cup Organic Sugar
1 Tablespoon Land O Lakes Sweet Cream Butter
1/4 cup Sweetened Coconut Flakes (See NOTE 2)
3 Tablespoons Hershey's Cocoa powder (See NOTE 4)
Real whipped cream
(Don't skimp here with that chemically manufactured Cool Whip, treat yourself.)

2 large pasteurized eggs, separated
5 strips of bacon cut in half (Optional. See PLUS)
And some real maple syrup to top 'em off

??pork is okay but religiously turkey is not??

thegrindre

No revisions here. That's all good healthy food, CM.

I never said pork was OK and turkey wasn't.
I said frying or deep frying is bad or unhealthy. I said the southern folks are grease lovers.
Almost every southern kitchen I've ever been in has a pot of bacon grease sitting on their stoves.

You missed the point, CM.

:)

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mmmmmm!! It's been a couple of years since I've deep-fried a turkey, too!

I'm about due, I think. It's a wonderful (and rare) treat!

Lee

chilefarmer

You know Rick, This is a friendly forum. No one is knocking what you eat or how you eat it. I for one don't even care if you eat. We all have different taste life style and budgets. Doesn't make us all wrong and it certainly doesn't give you the right to bash other people. CF

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
There's no need for you to go. You just sounded a little uppity is all. It sounded like you were saying that people who eat fried food don't care about their health and people were trying to explain that it's fine in moderation. It's not like you're eating grease when your eating fried food. If your fried food tastes like grease, it was cooked wrong.

Many of the foods that you eat are not exactly healthy either but in moderation it's no big deal. For instance, saturated fat is the "bad fat". Butter is actually higher is saturated fat than lard. Just something to think about.

We all like different things, that's what makes the world go around. If we all liked the same things, this would be a very boring place indeed.

Last edited:

Leni

I totally agree with you Mama.

The problem Grinder is that you come across as very self rightous. A little of live and let live will go a long way. We are here to talk about food and cooking. Yes I have to eat to live but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy my food especially since I grow a lot of it. I try to eat healthy which is why I do grow a lot of it. I find your comments a little overbearing but that doesn't mean that you have to leave. Relax and enjoy the group. I take your comments with a grain of salt and seriously consider what you are saying. You might want to try to do the same.

Shermie

Site Supporter
There's no need for you to go. You just sounded a little uppity is all. It sounded like you were saying that people who eat fried food don't care about their health and people were trying to explain that it's fine in moderation. It's not like you're eating grease when your eating fried food. If your fried food tastes like grease, it was cooked wrong.

Many of the foods that you eat are not exactly healthy either but in moderation it's no big deal. For instance, saturated fat is the "bad fat". Butter is actually higher is saturated fat than lard. Just something to think about.

We all like different things, that's what makes the world go around. If we all liked the same things, this would be a very boring place indeed.

You're right, Mama!!

I tried to explain that to him a while back about things eaten in moderation.

I like fried foods, but I don't eat them everyday. What I DON'T like is KFC and fried chicken from most other places, simply because it is too blasted salty.

Which is why every once in a while, I make my own. Eateries have just gone overboard with this ridiculous salt issue!! And if health officials have stopped the use of transfats in restaurants, then why on earth didn't they also ban the use of excessive salt as well? It's beyond me!! :bbq::bbq3:

kirbyburt

I have never done it personally but I watched my father in law fry one last year and it came out PERFECT. Deep fried turkey tastes way better than one baked in the oven. Needless to say I'm a little afraid to try it myself after hearing the horror stories of peoples houses getting burned down. But maybe I'll get my Dad in law to make one fr us next year if he does his again.

phreak

You all know that frying or searing meat does NOT seal in juices right???

It's a myth.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ah.

KFC extra crispy. salty, crispy, absolutely decadent.
I make a point of getting a batch at _least_ every other year.

there was just a news blurb about how all the "famous chef on tv" recipes are worse for you than prepared foods.... no flipping kiddin? all that butter and cream....what's the question?

here's my question: in proportion, how much prepared / convenience food is consumed vs the $300 dinners of buttered/heavy creamed up 'stuff" by famous chefs?

go to the supermarket. how much shelf / freezer space is devoted to frozen entrees / sides?
how much shelf space is devoted to butter and heavy cream?
what's the question?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well I read a study a while back that said if your parents ate the perfect diet and you did it would add about 3 months to your life over just eating a healthy diet. Now the healthy diet consisted of all the food groups but in moderate amounts with exercise. Now to me eating a perfect diet to add three months to a boring life is hardly worth it so I'll stick to the healthy plan of eating what I want in moderation. Just saying as berries, nuts and vegetables gets old in a hurry unless some flavor it added to it.

Shermie

Site Supporter
OK, I'll go.

Rick, I don't think that anyone dislikes you here.

It's just that when you keep saying that what we all like to eat is bad for us, it tends to rattle some of the members' nerves here.

I hope that you're not angry with us at all, but as a dear friend to you, I have to tell you that you eat what you like, that's fine, but I would think that as long as we eat some of the things that we like in moderation, like Mama said, it's no big deal.

I'm quite sure that no one here eats unhealthy every day or every waking moment. Part of life is about eating, and since we all have to eat to sustain life, then it might as well be some of the foods that you may deem as unhealthy.

Nothing wrong with eating them once in a while. Enjoy life & relax, buddy!! :bbq::bbq3:

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Mmmmmm!! It's been a couple of years since I've deep-fried a turkey, too!

I'm about due, I think. It's a wonderful (and rare) treat!

Lee

Well, since I'm going to Georgia to visit my nephew, I'll just wait until then to have some deep fried turkey, since he'll probably do one anyway.

He likes to do it just like his dad did it!! He has no problem with it. :applause: