Eggplant Rollatini

Cooksie

Site Supporter
IMG_0146.jpg

When I saw this video, I knew I had to try these. I followed the directions, except for omitting the prosciutto. We had Italian sausage on the side, and I used Buitoni marinara. Click on "more" on the right-hand side of the video for the recipe.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D2BN13E9Pg[/ame]

Rolled and ready for the oven:

IMG_0142.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The end result looks fantastic, Cooksie!

I adore eggplant and will definitely try this!

Beautiful job!

Below is the recipe.

Lee

EGGPLANT ROLLATINI RECIPE (Cooksie’s/Chef Ron’s)

1 Large Fresh Eggplant
1 cup whole milk
1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg
4 Jumbo Fresh Eggs (on 1 egg- separate yolk from white)
1 cup flour
1/4 pound or 1 cup grated best available Parm or Romano
1 cup Ricotta
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella
3 or 4 Basil Tops
Salt & Pepper (taste)
1/2 cup Olive Oil (use the "pure" or other low-grade blend with a higher smoke-point than X-V)
2-3 ounces fine Parma Prosciutto- VERY thin sliced
2 cups Marinara Sauce (See Web Site for Recipe)

In a large bowl, grate nutmeg into Milk, add a pinch salt. Slice 4-6 slices lengthwise from Eggplant- 1/8-1/4 inch thick; immerse slices through milk, cover & rest for 20 minutes.

Prepare en glace mis en place- separate bowls of flour & a bowl of 3 eggs PLUS 1 egg white mixed with 1/4 cup fine-grated Parm-Romano, a chiffanade basil top, salt & pepper .

Remove Eggplant Cutlets from Milk, shaking off excess, dredge through flour, shake off excess. Immerse in egg batter, until all are covered with egg. Put a large skillet on the fire (med-high) add the Oil- Pan Fry Cutlets (350 F Oil) for 30-60 seconds, each side, until Light Golden brown. drain On Paper towels, Pat Dry Cutlets.

When done Mix 1 cup ricotta, 1/2 Cup Mozzarella & Remaining Parm-Romano with 1 Basil-Top Chiffanade, 1 egg yolk, Salt & pepper. Spread Cheeses Mix over Cutlet, skinny side to Fat side, leave 1/2 inch bare at fat end, Gently Roll Skinny to Fat, evening out the cheeses through your roll.

Bake on a sheet pan (lightly oiled) for 15-20 minutes at 400F, till cheese ebbs from sides, and eggplant color is a perfect gold Serve sliced in half (slightly on bias) on a sauced plate, Garnish with Basil top

YIELD 4-6 Rollers (Depending on cutlet size)

FOR APPETIZER PINWHEELS: Allow to cool for 5-7 minutes. Stab through 4 or 5 long "Frill-Picks" or small skewers. Slice Between the Picks. Should Yield 4 or 5 pinwheels per Roller. Serve with a dip of warm Salsa Marinara This Classic Umbrian Dish can be served as an entree or sliced into pinwheels, as a festive appetizer. Fairly easy to prepare, Eggplant Rollatini can be prepared in less than 30 minutes! Includes link to printable recipe, and other Chef Ron creations. Watch as Chef Ron demonstrates step by step cooking instructions. Omit the prosciutto to enjoy a vegetarian treat!

Last edited:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:mrgreen:Thanks QSis! Embedding for the video was disabled, so I was afraid to put anything other than the link on here.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Holy cow! That is so beautiful! Wonderful presentation and it really makes me want to eat some eggplant. Awesome job!!!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I finally made this tonight, with three of my Japanese (Ichiban) eggplant.

They turned out wonderfully, but I forgot to add the darn prosciutto slices!!

I will make this again, Cooksie - great recipe!

Served with orriette (sp?) and wilted lettuce salad.

Lee

Attachments

• 1 Ichiban eggplant and Globe basil.JPG
    1 Ichiban eggplant and Globe basil.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 3 Eggplant, battered and fried, close.JPG
    3 Eggplant, battered and fried, close.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 4 Eggplant smeared with cheese filling.JPG
    4 Eggplant smeared with cheese filling.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 5 Eggplant, before baking.JPG
    5 Eggplant, before baking.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Eggplant, sauced with oriette.JPG
    Eggplant, sauced with oriette.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 247

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have a story about why I made this again: I have hundreds of photos in my laptop and my screensaver randomly rotates them on my monitor. I have deleted most of my food photos.

But the other day, three photos I had saved of this dish appeared almost back to back, while I was sitting here. :ohmy: I took it as a sign to make it.

I got a big fat eggplant and sliced it too thick (shoulda used my mandoline). I couldn't roll them up, so I cut each slice in half and made sandwiches.

But AGAIN, I forgot to add in the darned proscuitto! :oops:

They were delicious anyway. Served with Italian sausages and marinara over oriecchete (sp?).

Great recipe, Cooksie!

Lee

Attachments

• Eggplant sandwiches.JPG
    Eggplant sandwiches.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 193
  • Eggplant plated.JPG
    Eggplant plated.JPG
    183.8 KB · Views: 182