California Firm Recalls Turkey Burger Product Due To Misbranding and Undeclared Aller

waybomb

WASHINGTON, May 18, 2012 - Foster Farms, a Turlock, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 15,040 pounds of a turkey burger product because of misbranding and an undeclared allergen. The product contains a seasoning mix with hydrolyzed soy protein, a known allergen, not declared on the label.

The following product is subject to recall: [View Label]

• 10-lb. cases containing 30 5.33-oz. "Foster Farms, Ready to Cook, Boneless Mediterranean Style White Turkey Burgers" with the case code "96384" and the following Julian dates: "1362," "2027," "2033," "2039," "2040," "2046," "2054," "2125," "2129," "2130" and "2131."

The product bears the establishment number "P-157" inside the USDA mark of inspection. The products were produced on various dates between December 28, 2011, and May 10, 2012, and were sold for institutional use in Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.

The problem was discovered during a routine label review by FSIS and occurred as a result of the company receiving a spice mix from its supplier after an ingredient reformulation request by the company to have the hydrolyzed soy ingredient removed. The reformulation included soy, which was not declared on the turkey burger label. FSIS and the company have not received any reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of the products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.

Consumers with questions about the recall should contact the company's consumer affairs manager, Teresa Lenz, at (209) 394-6914, ext. 4369. Media with questions about the recall should contact the company's director of advertising and public relations, Ira Brill, at (209) 394-6914, ext. 6891.

jazzycurtis

This is one of the reason why I am being very picky when purchasing meat products, I see to it that what I am buying is fresh. This is not the first time that this thing had happened, if I remember it right I had read a news about butterball turkeys being pulled out on supermarkets for some reasons.