On Being Veggie And Having Been Veggie :D

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
When I first ever decided to go vegetarian (waaaay back)-- I didn't research it enough at first.
I collected books-- Frances Moore Lappe (Diet For A Small Planet) the original Moosewood cookbook- Linda's Kitchen and clipped recipes from magazines and even went by some of Peter Singers vegan recipes, as well as finally becoming a huge fan of Harvey and Marilyn Diamond's Fit For Life, and I thought John Robbins was a God. lol

It took me a while to realize that you don't have to follow any specific recipes in order to eat healthy as a vegetarian. It's pretty simple.
At that time I'd spend more on MY food, than I did for making meals for my then husband and two sons. They loved seeing me pull in at a local health food store.

As the years passed, I finally got it, and ate well and rarely got sick, and maintained my weight.

Typical meals were: breakfast-- always fruit or a fruit smoothie (nothing else before noon)
Lunch: buttered potatoes and corn and a salad, or any combination of vegetables prepared in some fashion. Rice or pasta dishes. Red beans and rice with yams was a favourite.
Dinner: meat substitute, and two vegs, or I'd make my favourite standby--
Stuffed pita with caramelized onions, peppers, mushrooms and vegan cheese.
If I had a snack, it was popcorn or some fresh vegetables.

I'd also do a juice fast one day per week and drink nothing but watermelon and celery juice.

I've fallen off the wagon recently because I chose to.
Really has nothing to do with this forum (although I can still joke and blame Bam and bacon).

My New Years resolution was to go back to eating vegetarian.
It's 1/17/10
Yikes.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Can I ask your reasons for being vegetarian in the first place. I have always been fascinated by peoples reasons for this decision.

Having been both sides of the fence so to speak, do you see a health advantage in either diet.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ok kid and hope my teasing you about it was taken as just that. I it works for you then more power too you really. I have cut down (about 1/5th ) of animal protein I take in daily myself. I just don't seem to not have hunger when I eat a vegetarian diet and I tried for 3 months. I'm a carnivore and will never change but go with what you want. Oh and be prepared for me to tease you more about it as I only pick on people I like, just ask my wife, she gets some abuse to hear her tell it. :mrgreen:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Can I ask your reasons for being vegetarian in the first place. I have always been fascinated by peoples reasons for this decision.

Having been both sides of the fence so to speak, do you see a health advantage in either diet.

There was a time back in the late 80s early 90s where I found it hard to digest meat.. beef in particular. I was having a few health problems back then that a nutritionist suggested all came down to my diet.
I don't think she was entirely correct, but I did feel better without the meat, but oddly enough it doesn't bother me now.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Ok kid and hope my teasing you about it was taken as just that. I it works for you then more power too you really. I have cut down (about 1/5th ) of animal protein I take in daily myself. I just don't seem to not have hunger when I eat a vegetarian diet and I tried for 3 months. I'm a carnivore and will never change but go with what you want. Oh and be prepared for me to tease you more about it as I only pick on people I like, just ask my wife, she gets some abuse to hear her tell it. :mrgreen:
Tease away Joe!:tongue:
Not to do the forum drift jive, but since you've joined FF I feel like I have gotten to know you a whole lot better.
So, you're teasing is most welcome.
You'll find that I am a good sport, and don't really take things all that serious.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Tease away Joe!:tongue:
Not to do the forum drift jive, but since you've joined FF I feel like I have gotten to know you a whole lot better.
So, you're teasing is most welcome.
You'll find that I am a good sport, and don't really take things all that serious.

I always figure that about you but then I have always had a sense about people even when I don't know them other than trough a forum like this. It is a sense that I can't explain but I just like people or don't, you are one of the likes. Hell I even like JoeV and Buzz so that will tell you something about me. :yum:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I always figure that about you but then I have always had a sense about people even when I don't know them other than trough a forum like this. It is a sense that I can't explain but I just like people or don't, you are one of the likes. Hell I even like JoeV and Buzz so that will tell you something about me. :yum:
Same here.. :D

Ive been a vegetarian since college (about 20 + years). My wife also became a vegetarian about the same time ( since i do all the cooking). And my kids have been raised as vegetarians. I always wanted to be one because of the animal thing, but my 330 cholesterol level and 450 + triglycerol level is what made my decision for me ( the 2 chili dogs for lunch , and 2 cheese burgers with fries for dinner every day of the semester didnt help any). 3 months after changing my diet, my levels were back to normal.

Being a vegetarian is what made me a more creative cook, having to find substitutes for meat in meat dishes, and the ongoing challenge of trying to make tofu taste good. I watch all cooking shows ( meat, non meat , whatever) just to learn the skill, ingredients, techniques and to broaden my mind of all the cuisines and possibilities that are out there.

Im often asked what i miss , and the truth is, years ago, it was much more difficult, because there wasnt as much easily available. When you did find something, there were very few products to choose from. Many companies made more efforts to make the food " look like" its meat counterpart, but not necessarily taste like it. Now, it is much more accessible in common supermarkets and the internet helps quite a bit. Also, the popularity of cooking, food channel, international networking, forums like this have made it more acceptable, and made people more curious to see what us freaks are eating. When I drive by a house and smell a barbecue, I miss something good on the grill. Many of the other things have a decent counterpart to work with and creates the challenge.

I think us vegetarians are used to the jokes , the comments... They just come with the territory. My goal is not to try and convert anyone to be a vegetarian, or spray paint peopls fur coats. But just to open my eyes to new cuisines, flavors, techniques, products... Many of the dishes i create are just modifications of meat recipes.

What I actually find funny, is the people who rant and rave about the vegetarian thing and are die hard, proactive vegetarians, usually look sick and unhealthy. I know im in a good vegetarian restaurant, when I look around and the people dont look like freaks, but just look like people trying to find a good meal. I can only imagine what the think or say about me :whistling:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Mmmmmm bacon...lol

but on a good note,thanks to Sass every time I go into a new grocery store, I look for different vegetarian foods...as a matter of fact when I was in Miami, at the local publix I took a bunch of pics of the new foods..

U can take a look at them here

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/43518397@N05/

Anytime i go away ( or even pass a market i havnt been in) im always checking for new brands or new items available. Hoping that I find one that tastes better than the crap ive been eating. Sometimes its a hit, other times its a miss. But thats all part of the game. I have a friend from Brazil. Anytime i see Brazilian items in the international section, i take pics and send them to her too.

vyapti

My path was similar to Larry's, I think. I don't eat any animal at all and and my doctor still wants me on a statin (he can suck it, btw). I grew up in an Italian family that seemed always to center around food, so I didn't think I'd ever be able to give up all the specialty meats and cheeses. I started giving up meat about three years ago and quit altogether soon after that. It really wasn't difficult, but cheese became the central point of my diet . . . and my triglycerides went through the roof. I LOVE cheese, but it had to be all or nothing (for me), so I gave it up. I've been vegan for a little over a year, I think.

I do feel strongly about the other reasons for being vegetarian. I do think it's better for the environment and I find the atrocities in animal processing to be intolerable. I see myself as a positive advocate, though. I want to raise awareness about the vegan options available and that vegan food can be just as delicious as omni food. It pleases me to no end when someone tells me that they've started eating one of my recipes or they've started no-meat Mondays or even to say "wow!, that was vegan?

Sass, if you decide to climb back on, I'll slow the wagon down and even toss you a rope =)

Good to see you, Larry. I've missed seeing you around here lately.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thanks for sharing your stories Vy, and Larry.
Jeff, I caught you sneaking the turducken in there at the end. lol

Well today was the first day back ON the wagon. ;)

I had an orange for breakfast with oatmeal and a little Lyle's golden syrup.
Lunch was leftover wild rice, chopped onion, some shredded cheddar and salsa wrapped in a big flour tortilla.
Dinner was......... OUT.
Subway-- 6" veggie delight and their fire roasted tomato orzo soup. Oh my!

I feel good for doing this, and intend to stick to it. :brows:

2010-01-18 12-48-38.772.jpg

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
That soup is delicious Larry.
It's got a bit of kick to it, but not overly spicy.
Actually I was surprised to see it on the menu card, because they usually always have a potato soup or chicken noodle.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I recently was at B Spot and ate rosemary fries. They are fries cooked in pork fat--a few--pretty good. A lot, not so much. The second time I did not share an order and I felt really sick afterward.

I think beef tallow is the best way to make fries or raw fries. It is what my grandpa did at his steakhouse.

I understand the desire to eat healthy--to only want to put good things into one's body. However, I am not that virtuous ;-)

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - If I wanted to have a meatless Monday. Can one of you suggest a real head turner that I can open with.

vyapti

Thai and Indian cuisines are easy to make vegetarian. I leave out fish sauce, of course, but a Thai curry can be made in the time it takes to cook rice. Indian food, my favorite, usually takes longer and has a world of spices all its own but readily incorporates beans and lentils. Niether needs to be hot to be good.

Pasta
is also good, and not just marinara. I make tomato sauces, cashew cream sauces, herb sauces and many others. Veggie lasagna is always a winner too and can be made on Sunday and cooked on Monday. I really like this simple pasta & peas.

I make tacos quite often. In place of meat, you can have a can of refried beans or cook lentils with some taco seasoning and salsa or Spanish rice. My latest favorite topping is to saute an onion in oil, then add 1 cup of bulgur and 2 cups of boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes. It's especially good on nachos.

Some of my favorites include Beans and Rice with Cilantro Pesto, or the Cilantro Pesto in Pasta salad or Confetti Pasta Salad. These are all easy and, if you have the pesto prepared, they're 30 minute meals. Enchiladas are good too. This page has some good enchilada ideas. This Sofrito is especially good. I use Nacho Sauce instead of cheese, but either would work.

Finally, Chickpea Salad is a vegetarian hidden gem. which is basically partially mashed chickpeas made like egg salad. It makes a delicious and nutritious sandwich. Last time I went camping with my family, I brought six cans of chickpeas so that we'd be sure to have food to eat. My family wolfed the six cans in three days and I had to get more.

Finally, Chickpea Salad is a vegetarian hidden gem. which is basically partially mashed chickpeas made like egg salad. It makes a delicious and nutritious sandwich. Last time I went camping with my family, I brought six cans of chickpeas so that we'd be sure to have food to eat. My family wolfed the six cans in three days and I had to get more.

I just want to vouch for for Vyapti's chickpea salad recipe. I made this last summer a few times. Tastes great, makes a great sandwich and the wife liked it too.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
we eat vegetarian thai curry soup all the time...we just serve chicken on the side...you just have to watch what curry paste(if thats what you use) you use because most have some kind fish stock or shrimp etc..

Yeah, i found it difficult to eat many asian dishes because many include fish sauce, or something of that nature. And , aside from being a vegetarian, even when I ate meat, I always hated fish/ seafood. Never had Thai curry soup though. Sounds good.

vyapti

Thai Kitchen, at least their red curry paste is vegetarian. And when I cook Thai, I use Golden Mountain Sauce, which has a tiny bit of that fish sauce undercurrent. I make my own green curry paste, but when I make it I end up putting it on anything. You haven't lived until you've had the guilty pleasure of dipping tater tots in green curry paste mixed with mayo.

Does the Golden Mountain Sauce actually have fish sauce in it ?? or does a similar flavor to make it appear as if it has the fish sauce ? Also, when converting a recipe that calls for fish sauce, what do u use as an alternative, or is there no alternative ? I once found a recipe for "Mock Fish Sauce" , but I wasnt crazy about ( maybe because I just dont like fish :yum:).

vyapti

GM sauce is just Thai Soy sauce, although I'd still check the ingredients in case there are differences between brands. It tastes more similar to fish sauce.

I'll just skip a recipe that calls for uncooked fish sauce. Otherwise, I'll add a little GM sauce and check for taste or skip it altogether, depending on the recipe. I've read that condensed vegetable broth works as a substitute, but I've never tried it.

AllenOK

I've had GM sauce before. I always wondered what the difference was between and a "regular" soy sauce. Thanks, Vyapti!

BTW, would you mind posting your green curry recipe?

vyapti

BTW, would you mind posting your green curry recipe?

It's a little hot, but I keep it milder for the sake of my wife. I usually put 1-2 tbs into a curry or mix half and half with mayo for use as a spead or dip. It makes about a cup and would probably keep for quite a while in the fridge or freezer, but I always eat it up in a few days. Follow the link for the recipe.

Green Curry Paste
:

4010237645_645f0c67ff.jpg