Tidy Tacos!

FryBoy

Oy! As a 3rd generation native Southern California who grew up thinking tacos were a major food group, I don't know which is worse, using those cardboard taco "shells" (an abomination that would never be found in a Mexican home or a serious Mexican restaurant -- or especially in a good taco joint around here) or pita bread for tacos. I like pita, but it just isn't for tacos. Besides, a non-messy taco is like a tidy hamburger -- what's the point!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
Not a bad idea but if you watch her hand close you will notice that she delibretly causes the taco shell to crack. lol

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Not a bad idea but if you watch her hand close you will notice that she delibretly causes the taco shell to crack. lol
To make a point for the video I suppose.

I think it's a good idea, especially for kids and messy taco munchers like myself.
I like crunchy taco shells, I LOVE pitas.
Adding the tortilla chips at the end really turned me on.:yum:
I'll be trying these.

phreak

LOL, that's not such a new idea, I grew up eating tacos out of whole wheat pitas bought from the food cooperative.

Sorry, but while I well know that hard-shell taco shells aren't "authentic", I LOVE them nonetheless.

Frankly, very little in the food world is really an "abomination" if you enjoy it. May not be authentic "cuisine", but certainly not an abomination.

FooD

Sorry, but this is dumb idea. And I enjoy American hard shell tacos from time to time. Burgers can be messy too. Would you assemble your burger in a pita bread?

FryBoy

Sorry, but while I well know that hard-shell taco shells aren't "authentic", I LOVE them nonetheless.

Frankly, very little in the food world is really an "abomination" if you enjoy it. May not be authentic "cuisine", but certainly not an abomination.
Hard-shell or crispy tacos most certainly are authentic Mexican fare -- provide they're made with fresh tortillas and fried crispy just before serving.

Soft tacos are authentic, too, just a different form, like the difference between a cheese sandwich and grilled cheese. Trust me, Mexicans eat their tacos both ways, although it's a matter of personal preference and somewhat regional. I like them both ways, depending on what's in them.

What IS an abomination are those pre-fab cardboard-like "shells" in that ad. They're not only fake Mexican food, they don't taste anything like the real thing. No self-respecting Mexican would touch them.

FooD

Although I've never seen taco trucks in mi barrio serve them in hard shells..... and the best tacos in SoCal come from these trucks...:D

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Here in San Antonio, if you order a taco, you will get a soft taco as default. You have to specify a crispy taco to get that. But only white folks buy the taco shells you find in the grocery store.

phreak

Sorry, but this is dumb idea. And I enjoy American hard shell tacos from time to time. Burgers can be messy too. Would you assemble your burger in a pita bread?

Yes, if that's what was available.

I'm surprised at the closed mindedness of some on here.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I think a lot of this is semantics. Almost every culture has some form of food wrapped in something that allows you to eat it without utensils or plates. Working man's food. Hot dogs, pita pockets, sandwiches, tacos, kolachys, egg rolls, etc. Then when other cultures take these foods and put their own spin on it, based on what's readily available, it becomes something different with it's roots in the original.

FooD

Well, I guess I'm a traditionalist. I don't care for Western style sushi either.....:tongue:

But when it comes to pizza, I like all varieties.... :D