COVID-19

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is everyone here doing okay?

I just flew to Florida, went on a 5-day cruise to Key West and Cozumel, flew back to Boston.

So far, I'm good.

How are you guys doing?

Lee

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Our small town is taking precautions.

The banks have closed their lobbies, some of the restaurants are drive through only and my Doctor has canceled Office hours except for emergencies. I have a phone appt to discuss test results.

There are 95 reported cases in Texas with three deaths. One in Matagorda County SW of Houston, one in Collin County north of Dallas, and one in Tarrant County, Ft Worth.

We’re 100 miles from Ft Worth, maybe 120 from Dallas.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/18/third-texas-death-linked-new-coronavirus/

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, we're all ok (myself and the family).
I won't get into the mass panic and hysteria that's taken the world by storm.
Soon, this will pass.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
flying is out of my question - simply too close-a-quarters with absolutely no options to 'protect' oneself...
but we're going anywhere else....

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Is everyone here doing okay?

I just flew to Florida, went on a 5-day cruise to Key West and Cozumel, flew back to Boston.

So far, I'm good.

How are you guys doing?

Lee
Welcome back Lee.
Prayers all is okay for you.

We flew to Miami and on to Antigua Feb 22, back on Feb 27th ...before the madness started. Two weeks past all that with no symptoms. Hope the same goes for you.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Map showing all of Caribbean has cases of Corona Virus ...

Attachments

• AntiguaMapWithCoronaVirus.png
    AntiguaMapWithCoronaVirus.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 1,031

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
PLEASE READ: FROM AN IMMUNOLOGIST
AT JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY SO INFORMATIVE!!!!!

This is exactly what the public should be hearing maybe, just maybe, they can see how bad this is:
Here is a little more information on the virus that may help explain a few things that people don’t understand. This is from an immunologist at Johns Hopkins University.
��
Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...
It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.
Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.
Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.
Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”
This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.
And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.
Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...
And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.
Be smart folks... acting like you’re unafraid is so not sexy right now.
#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.

I Pray for all Americans ������

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
The supermarket where my hub and DD's work just announced starting today all hourly workers will be getting a $2.00 an hour pay hike till May 2. I think that is a great way to reward the workers for being there in this trying time.

pay_close_up_IMG_6752.JPG

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The supermarket where my hub and DD's work just announced starting today all hourly workers will be getting a $2.00 an hour pay hike till May 2. I think that is a great way to reward the workers for being there in this trying time.

View attachment 35884
That is awesome peeps. Good for that company, and thanks to those who are working to keep things we all need available. It is not an easy job for sure. :tiphat:

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Neil Diamond

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPLgsV_Ms3Q[/ame]

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I viewed a great video last night on Facebook.
It was an ER nurse basically telling the people in her community to not come in if you're having cold symptoms, do not come in if you missed your period, do not come in if it's something that is non-critical.
Hospital beds in triage right now are for those folks showing symptoms of what could be, but are not necessarily this virus.
Stay at home, be well and KNOW this will soon be over.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
A bit of a vent here. Both DD's work in online shopping at a supermarket. Customers whether in the store or on the phone (when they need to be called) are VERY abusive AND rude to them. Hub works in produce dept. in same supermarket chain but different location and getting treated the same. Customers just DON'T want to accept that there isn't a product and they don't know when the items will come in. (AND customers DON'T want to accept that there are item limits at the moment) They are getting screamed AND cursed at!

They don't deserve that treatment! They are still at work taking the real risk of DYING (they aren't allowed to wear masks because it may scare the customers) to get these people what they need. It's not their fault there are shortages. If the greedy pigs would stop hoarding there would be plenty for everyone!!

End of vent for now.

Last edited:

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Everyone,

Covid-19 has been a roller coaster here. As of the moment, I am feeling as OK as usual.

All of the shutdown orders for me and my customers came down like a hammer blow. My 3 biggest customers has maybe... 48 hours. I have been furiously buying laptops, configuring routers. setting up laptops, etc. None of this is by virtue of complaint. How I care for customers now will to a large extent determine my future business. So far .... I'm doing OK.

I am the designated shopper in the house. DW is blessed (Sarcasm intended) with small nasal passages and very easily gets URI's. We keep her home as much as possible. Hence I go shopping for us. Fortunately, I have not had to go onsite. It would take me a pretty big emergency to get me in NYC right now. My NJ customers are shut down and empty offices. I have keys and would not really hesitate to go in an empty office. I am the designated "button pusher" for some customers. With the entire office working from home, if a server or router needs hands on to get the office working agin, that's me.

Also, fortunately, DW is a "Soaper" and makes skin care products (queue shameless plug) One of her products is all natural hand cleaner (It's against FDA regulations to call it a sanitizer) we have gallons.

Hopefully we will all ride this out and come out the other end happy and healthy.

Andy

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
good to hear from you Andy!
when nature hands you a virus, make a business out of it!

this all seems to be quite over blown. there are indeed some outlying cases, but as known from the beginning, and as known from prior 'pandemics' . . . people who are already compromised are at the highest risk - and nothing is going to change that.
the "cures" in development may work super for normal otherwise healthy individuals but not for high risk patients. same for a vaccine - we already have a "stronger version" of flu vaccine for older people - being high(er) risk is not exactly new science.

this idea of shutting/closing down the world is not going to work out.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Hey Andy. Glad to hear you are doing okay. You are to close to NYC for comfort from my way of thinking. Good luck buddy.

Chowder I have wondered much the same. Is this shelter in place merely delaying the inevitable. If anyone has the virus when the lockdown is lifted they will start the cycle all over again .... I must be missing something but for now we are doing as requested and social distancing ...and surviving being stuck with each other. No problem. :beer: :D

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, Andy, so glad you popped in to give us an update! I know you will be careful to stay healthy.

Be safe!

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I live outside of the city now, not exactly in the sticks, but can hear the constant stream of truckers on the overpass getting their product out to grocery stores, etc.

As for now, there have been no reported cases in Henry county.
We are doing everything we can at work to keep our residents and staff safe.

20200325_140544.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Peep, you certainly fall within the "vulnerable" category, and I trust that your family members are taking great care when they come home to you after working in the grocery store!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm pretty stressed out about this. I've been taking the normal precautions...washing my hands more often and for a longer period of time. I also trimmed my nails so that they don't extend beyond my finger tips.

I figured out that most of my Amazon pkgs come through a distribution facility in Dallas County, which is a hot bed in Texas for the virus right now. I spray the pkgs with disinfectant before opening them and bringing them into the house.

I haven't been able to find any bread, so I made bread in the bread machine yesterday. I had to use some yeast that was about 3 months out of date, but much to my delight, the bread came out just fine. You can also forget finding toilet paper or disinfectant right now.

Peeps, the grocery stores around here have been installing plexiglass shields so that the checkers get a little bit more protection. I know that doesn't provide total protection, but maybe it's better than nothing. I also drove through a drive-thru the other day, and the woman at the window had on latex ? gloves. That didn't scare me. I just thought she was being smart and protecting herself. I agree with you. They ought to let the checkers wear masks or at least get on board with the plexiglass thing. The masks shouldn't scare people. Most will just think that's extra protection for themselves.

Hopefully we'll all be okay and be able to go back to normal soon.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
It's beginning to pop up more in the counties surrounding mine.
For right now Henry county is not reporting any cases, but with Defiance and Fulton reporting in with positive testing, I expect it to change soon.
SOB!

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I viewed a great video last night on Facebook.
It was an ER nurse basically telling the people in her community to not come in if you're having cold symptoms, do not come in if you missed your period, do not come in if it's something that is non-critical.
Hospital beds in triage right now are for those folks showing symptoms of what could be, but are not necessarily this virus.
Stay at home, be well and KNOW this will soon be over.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-DnWWGBNiQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

You don't need Instagram to view this.

Saliha

Hello all friends!

:tiphat:

Came here to check if you all are ok. I wish to you a good health. Stay safe all.

Covid-19 has arrived also to Finland but as my country is small and far from the restless world (here very far north), situation is not very bad here, even not yet. About 1100 people have got infected and 8 have passed away. In my home town officially number is 3 infected, non has passed away yet (as here is about 50 000 inhabitants it´s not very much).

As precautions, all persons over 70 years old have been in the home quarantine now last few weeks and will be until this epidemic is over at some day. Also the area of the capital city has been closed as majority of the infections have been in that area. The state of emergency laws are apply throughout the country.

I am in good health, still working as practical nurse and have a lot of work. Sometimes it feels like a bit too much work…

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
6 confirmed cases as of yesterday in my small town (pop. 2,800). There was also a death one town over (pop. 11,000).

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good to hear from you, Saliha - I miss you!

Stay well!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I used the formula from the CDC website to make some disinfectant with bleach...4 tsp bleach per quart of water. I made mine a little stronger. I'll use that on pkgs and use what I've got left of Odoban for inside.

My neighborhood is doing a teddy bear search to try and occupy the young kids who are out of school. I think some of the parents of the young kids are getting a little bit overwhelmed :ohmy:.