Great Britain's "Fry Breakfast"

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
In another thread, Sass Muffin mentioned fried bread as part of an English Fry Up.

Of course, I had to look it up. http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zgk7mp3

The Fried Breakfasts in the various parts of Great Britain look pretty much the same, with a few variations - all look good to me!

I've never had the dark sausage - is it blood sausage? What's it taste like? Is it sort of like liverwurst or braunschweiger?

The bacon looks more like Canadian bacon than the bacon I know and love.

Looks like mushrooms and tomatoes are common items on the plates. And baked beans! Near to a Bostonian's heart!

I'd like to make this, some special day off!

Lee

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I never cared for the taste of black pudding.
The consistency or the taste.
I have had Lincolnshire sausages in fry ups.
They are heaven!
I was mostly vegetarian when I lived in Yorkshire, Lee, but tried many things that are traditional.
A Full English was one of them of course.

Johnny West

I've had the fry up in Whistler and it was good. There are several cuts of bacon and first learned of the speck type when in Germany. Now we have the shoulder or Kansas City bacon locally. My bud from Vancouver Island is from Scotland and he always serves a fried tomatoe with breakfast. I'm the only one that does that in this house.

Johnny West

Here is a photo of the fry up at Dubh Linn's Gate Pub in Whistler. The last time we were there they were closed for remodel so will be interesting to see it this Fall. I prefer their smoked salmon bennie. If I'm not mistaken they changed the spelling of the name.

http://www.dubhlinngate.com

Attachments

• #######FryUp.jpg
    #######FryUp.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,117

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm good with about 80% of that.

Not at all sure about the blood pudding. And I really LOVE our bacon.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Not quite a full English by a long shot.
I should have added some quartered tomatoes and bacon.
Lincolnshire sausages would have been great too.
20181008_085848-768x768.jpg