Chicken Cutlets with Creamy Shiitake Mushroom and Sherry Sauce

Cooksie

Site Supporter
IMG_2533.jpg

For the chicken cutlets:

I use chicken tenders and lightly pound them so that they are a uniform thickness. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Pan fry them in a mixture of olive oil and butter.

For the sauce:

Here's the original recipe: http://www.forestmushrooms.com/recipe/shiitake.html

Here's what I did:

2T butter
2T minced shallots
6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
1/2 cup sherry (I used Fairbanks medium dry sherry.)
1/2 cup Kitchen Basics chicken stock
3/4 cup heavy cream

Saute the shallots and then add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. You are not looking to brown the mushrooms. Remove this mixture from the pan.

Add the sherry to the pan and cook over medium high heat for about 1 minute. The sherry will turn a little syrupy. Add the chicken stock and reduce by half.

Lower the heat and add the cream. Cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens. Return the mushroom/shallot mixture to the pan and stir to combine.

You could skip the chicken and serve the sauce over pasta for a meatless meal.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, I missed this the first time around, but it looks and sounds incredible. I wanted something new for chicken this weekend, and this is it! Thank you!! :clap:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
LORD that looks decadent!! Do you discard the shiitake stems? Some celeb (can't remember who maybe RR) said they tend to be woody so I throw them away?

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
IMG_2533.jpg

For the chicken cutlets:

I use chicken tenders and lightly pound them so that they are a uniform thickness. Season the cutlets with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Pan fry them in a mixture of olive oil and butter.

For the sauce:

Here's the original recipe: http://www.forestmushrooms.com/recipe/shiitake.html

Here's what I did:

2T butter
2T minced shallots
6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
1/2 cup sherry (I used Fairbanks medium dry sherry.)
1/2 cup Kitchen Basics chicken stock
3/4 cup heavy cream

Saute the shallots and then add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. You are not looking to brown the mushrooms. Remove this mixture from the pan.

Add the sherry to the pan and cook over medium high heat for about 1 minute. The sherry will turn a little syrupy. Add the chicken stock and reduce by half.

Lower the heat and add the cream. Cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens. Return the mushroom/shallot mixture to the pan and stir to combine.

You could skip the chicken and serve the sauce over pasta for a meatless meal.
And sub vegetable broth for vegetarians (can you sub something for the cream to go all the way to vegan?).

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Wow, I missed this the first time around, but it looks and sounds incredible. I wanted something new for chicken this weekend, and this is it! Thank you!! :clap:

I think you'll like it :).

LORD that looks decadent!! Do you discard the shiitake stems? Some celeb (can't remember who maybe RR) said they tend to be woody so I throw them away?

I just use the eyeball method....cut it off if it looks bad, leave it if it doesn't. You definitely need fresh shiitakes for this.

I don't think subbing the vegetable broth would hurt, but I would't sub for the cream.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Cooksie, I just finished dinner ... yet, your photo made my mouth water!

Lovely!

Lee