Peep's Sausage Bread

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peep's Sausage Bread

3 lbs Italian sweet sausage - bulk or removed from casing - crumbled and browned till cooked through.

1/2 lb Locatelli Romano cheese - grated
8 cloves Fresh garlic - chopped fine
1/2 large bunch Fresh flat parsley - chopped fine
Ground red pepper flakes - to taste

When sausage is cooled; add remaining above ingredients and mix well.

1 lb Mozzarella - shredded

Favorite raw bread dough (homemade or may use prepared RAW pizza dough from local store, pizzeria or bakery) - enough for 2 French bread loaves

Preheat oven to 450°F

For each loaf - Roll out dough into a rectangle (long side toward you). Spread sausage mixture over dough only to the edge of long side closest to you, leave about 2 inches from the edge of the other long side away from you and about 1 inch from the end of the short sides. Spread mozzarella over meat. Start at the long side closest to you and roll dough and meat jelly roll style towards the long side that is away from you (roll tightly but be careful not to rip the dough). Pinch dough together along long side. Pinch short ends together and fold over long side seam. Roll dough over so all the seams are under the roll. Place on parchment lined sheet pan seams down.

Bake at 450°F till dough is golden brown and sounds hollow when thumped. About 45 to 60 minutes.

remove to cooling rack. Cool slightly. Serve warm. May freeze cooked loaves and reheat in oven before serving.

sausage_bread_101309_1_P1040433.JPG

sausage_bread_101309_2_P1040457.JPG

sausage_bread_101309_3_P1040464.JPG

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
What recipe did you use for your bread dough?? Recipe, please!
don't use any milk or butter for this dough. just flour, yeast, salt, sugar, water and oil.

i really didn't measure so the flour and yeast are exact measures the rest are approx.

4 cups AP flour
about 1 teaspoon salt - (i poured into palm of hand which is about 1 tsp) add to the flour
1/3 cup olive oil - i just added oil till dough looked right
1 tablespoon sugar
3 1/2 tsp Dry Yeast
1 cup water - (105 to 115 degrees) - more if needed depending on the day and the flour

place yeast in the warm water and stir to dissolve then add the sugar and stir again. i sprinkle a layer of flour on top and let rest till the yeast bubbles through the flour like a volcano. if using a Kitchen aid or stand mixer - place flour in the bowl. pour the water and yeast mix to bowl of flour and with a dough hook slowly start to mix. add the oil slowly. mix dough till it is all wrapped around the dough hook about 10 minutes (add more flour, oil or water if needed till dough comes away from bowl and wraps the hook). turn dough out onto a floured board and knead till smooth and elastic. form into a ball by tucky the dough into it self underneath and the top of ball is smooth. place a small amount of olive oil in bottom of large bowl, roll dough in oil to coat and place ball smooth side up. cover bowl with parchment paper then a thick bath towl. IN COLD OVEN place a roasting pan of hot water on bottom rack of oven and then place another rack above the roasting pan. place the bowl with dough on the rack above the one with the water. close oven and don't open for 2 hours. dough should be doubled in 2 hours, punch down. make the sauage bread and then place loaves on a parchment lined sheet pan and cover with a towel till ready for oven. then bake.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
thank you everyone. i hope you enjoy it. please post your pics and let me know what you think.

Last edited: