Need help with a Lobster Ravioli idea

High Cheese

Saucier
So I'm watching Colameco's show and the chef he had on made a scallop and foie gras ravioli. The foie rendered down a bit during the cooking process to create a "sauce" or moisture inside the ravioli. What I would like to do is: Make a lobster ravioli but use an egg yolk inside. When you cut into the ravioli the egg yolk runs out into your plate and mixes with a beurre blanc.

The question is: How to keep the yolk from cooking?

One idea was to blend the yolk with oil but I'm not sure what thet would do to the taste and texture of it. I guess it would have to be emulsified. I'm pretty sure the lobser would have to be par cooked, then diced and used that way. All I really need to do is keep the yolk in a liquid form while the wonton wrapper cooks. If worse comes to worse I could inject the yolk into the cooked ravioli then gently heat it through in the sauce.

Any ideas?

chowhound

Having no idea what the culinary terms you are using are referring to... :blush:

If the lobster was cooked all the way, rather than par cooking like you mentioned, then the ravioli would need even less time to cook. Maybe that would help keep the yolk in a liquid state.
Or maybe not ;)

Calicolady

Oh shoot, I think I just saw an episode of 'Martha', last week, where a chef did 3 different attached ravs. One end was spinach stuffed, the middle was a still wet yolk, the other end Ican't remember. It did work, as the FRESH ravs, only cook for mire minutes, and remained whole. But it wasn't mixed with anything.
I'll try to go to her site and find it for ya. They looked fantastic.

High Cheese

Saucier
The problem with fully cooking the lobster is that it will overcook while the ravioli cooks.

It's a timing thing. The lobster meat, the wonton and the yolk must all finish at the same time.

High Cheese

Saucier
Oh shoot, I think I just saw an episode of 'Martha', last week, where a chef did 3 different attached ravs. One end was spinach stuffed, the middle was a still wet yolk, the other end Ican't remember. It did work, as the FRESH ravs, only cook for mire minutes, and remained whole. But it wasn't mixed with anything.
I'll try to go to her site and find it for ya. They looked fantastic.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm overthinking it and the wonton will cook faster than I'm imagining. It's just that it would suck to have cooked yolk in there. lol

chowhound

Thanks, Jeeks.
I guess I was thinking that for the little time it took, the lobster would only heat through. Especially if it was room temp or colder.

Calicolady

I found it and am PMing you. The pic looks scrumptious!

4114_031309_ravioli_l.jpg

1x1.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif

This soft farm-egg ravioli recipe from chef Brian Lewis of Bedford Post is sure to impress any dinner guest.

High Cheese

Saucier
Thanks.

After skimming though all the BS, they boil the ravioli for 3 minutes. If that's the case, and the end result is what's pictured, then I'm good to go. I'll practice with just an egg yolk ravioli first and see what happens.

Thanks again.

Calicolady

They did not break up the yolk at all, & when she tried placing it the first time it broke. She got bent out of shape, so tried it again. You could alway do the ricotta one a lobster one instead, or mix lobsta with a creamy cheesey filling.
Ravs are my fav. way to have pasta.
Take pics and let us know what you come up with. Luck & fun to ya!

Calicolady

Watch the video. it says it's 5:47 minutes, but then there's an advertisement and goes to part 2. At about 1:45, in part 2, it goes tothe egg filling part. That's what you're looking for.