killer leek recipes needed

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
we've had a stretch of milder temps so I took the opportunity to dig out / harvest my garden leeks.

Leeks_s.jpg

I use these in stews, braise as a side, etc. - have made potato leek soup a couple times but never found a killer recipe - anybody have a good one?

or other ideas?

they'll last I'm guess about two weeks in the crisper....

How about potato pancakes. You could make them ahead, and freeze for later. Serve with homemade applesauce, horseradish/sour cream or Tzatziki.

Potato (Leek) Pancakes

http://web.mac.com/marciaskitchen/Site/Potato-Leek_Pancakes.html

Cauliflower gratin

http://www.redbookmag.com/recipefinder/cauliflower-leek-parmesan-gratin-recipe

Mixed Onion Soup (in bread bowls)

http://www.crisco.com/Recipes/Details.aspx?recipeID=1182&loc=14

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mixed-Onion-Soup-in-Sourdough-Bread-Bowls-101025

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
oh, good looking stuff - thanks!

CC - I think sometime last century I did a similar cauliflower dish - it was good, nice flavor combo - but I had forgotten all about it. it's on the menu for tonight!

MM - that soup in on the list for later this week. I may have to add a little bacon (g)

always on the prowl for a good salmon variation - so that's printed out as well!

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Butternut squash ravioli with browned butter and caramelized leeks

Salmon with sweated leeks, bacon and dijon

Stewed pork with leeks, potatoes and natural jus

Anything leek and bacon is gonna be a winner, either as ingredients, or topping/nage/filling/stuffing. . .they really respond well to ALL cooking methods, but for me, low and slow in lots of butter, the leeks themselves once cooked down will become very velvety, and SO sweet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE EM! And, pan fried until crisp makes an awesome topping for a pork chop, filet, fillet, soup, practically anything.

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ah,,, butternut & leeks - sounds like a winner! straight onto my list!

did the cauliflower dish last night. stupendous raves.
my nutmeg nut apparently is lost in the Christmas cookie shuffle so I had to use ground nutmeg, and used a combo of parm & coarse grated smoked Gouda. splendid dish - highly recommended!

DW, upon going for seconds,,, noted "Oh, you made this with heavy cream?" (she's dieting....) ".. no wonder it's so good."

served with meatloaf. now... DW likes a tomato topping on her meatloaf. I don't especially care for that but..... I usually use a can of tomato sauce, but had a little leftover Ragu Traditional from eggplant parm, so used that. also commented as "save that recipe...." wonder if I should tell (g)?

ah,,, butternut & leeks - sounds like a winner! straight onto my list!

did the cauliflower dish last night. stupendous raves.
my nutmeg nut apparently is lost in the Christmas cookie shuffle so I had to use ground nutmeg, and used a combo of parm & coarse grated smoked Gouda. splendid dish - highly recommended!

DW, upon going for seconds,,, noted "Oh, you made this with heavy cream?" (she's dieting....) ".. no wonder it's so good."

served with meatloaf. now... DW likes a tomato topping on her meatloaf. I don't especially care for that but..... I usually use a can of tomato sauce, but had a little leftover Ragu Traditional from eggplant parm, so used that. also commented as "save that recipe...." wonder if I should tell (g)?

The cauliflower is a rave here as well, particularlly for Thanksgiving w/ roast turkey. Gruyere is good too. Glad you enjoyed the dish.

buckytom

Grill Master
lol, i keep reading the title to this thread and thinking, "where does one find leeks that have committed murder?"

:whistle:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yes, that is a little better, Peep.

But both are still too smiley.

I wish "errm"'s eyes rolled. :ermm:

(Sorry for hijacking your leek thread, Chowder. Blame it on BT.)

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I've never tried it, but there's always Cock-a-leekie soup. :huh:
We went to a little restaurant/Pub (while driving to florida on vaction) in Georgia I think it specialized in mostly Irish and Scotish Pub foods. We tried the Cock-a-leeky soup. I didn't think it was "leeky" enough. LOL

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>hijacking . . .

/quote
Anything thing worth hijacking has to be good.
/unquote

annon. Somali dude in a boat

We went to a little restaurant/Pub (while driving to florida on vaction) in Georgia I think it specialized in mostly Irish and Scotish Pub foods. We tried the Cock-a-leeky soup. I didn't think it was "leeky" enough. LOL

I wont ask the obvious bad joke here. LOL

Or, you could make a big pot of chicken soup.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I wont ask the obvious bad joke here. LOL

Or, you could make a big pot of chicken soup.
UMMMMMMMMMMMM I didn't mean to make any joke. BUT now that you point it out it is kinda funny!! LOL

I just meant I didn't think it had enough of the yummy leek flavor in the soup.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
UMMMMMMMMMMMM I didn't mean to make any joke. BUT now that you point it out it is kinda funny!! LOL

I just meant I didn't think it had enough of the yummy leek flavor in the soup.
Real cock-a-leekie is a true thing to behold and devour.
I've had it in Scotland... it's kinda sweet and has bacon, rice and yes.. prunes too.
The Horseshoe in Glasgow serves it on Burns night:chef:.. or at least they did back then.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I ALWAYS put the green leek tops in the pot when making chicken stock. And I use the white part in the soup.

abi_csi

Simple Leek and Potato Soup.
Boil up the potatoes in a big pan of salted water.
Meanwhile fry the leeks in butter with onions, garlic and celery until soft. Season with salt and pepper.
Add the boiled potatoes to the mix.
Add vegetable stock, some mixed herbs and a bouquet garni.
Simmer for 10 mins.
Blend, add cream if you desire - I'm not massively into creamy soups.
Season.
Serve with crusty bread.
It's a really simple recipe- like everything I do.