View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Pizza Chef

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,019 Posts
medtran49 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moussaka for Many

Per request,

David Rosengarten's of Taste (a show on Food Network in its infancy) moussaka. When I can find it, I use Mizithra cheese instead of pecorino. It comes in a rounded shape and it's not cheap, but it does freeze well because it's a hard dried cheese. Just for the 2 of us, I make the whole recipe but do it in 2 dishes so I can freeze one, and I make 1-1/2 times the sauce because Craig likes extra sauce.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...recipe-1926678

I just kind of wing the tzatziki. We made extra this time because we never seem to have enough. There's not much left, enough for a little snack for 1 with some tortillas or pita bread for dipping. Used 3 cukes, seeds cleaned out, shredded on big side of box grater, salted, weighted in a colander for at least 45 minutes. 2 individual serving cups of Greek yogurt, maybe 1/2 to 2/3 cups of sour cream, chopped fresh dill (maybe a Tbsp) and maybe a tsp of microplaned garlic, 1/2 lemon juiced, and S and P to taste. I just taste and add dill, garlic, lemon juice, S and P until it tastes pretty good, then let it meld for a bit.

Be careful with the garlic though. Craig's brother made some once and he was of the mindset that there's never enough garlic. Yes, there can be and he was the first to admit it.