Cheese Diablo Wafers

LADawg

For several years I have made what I call Cheese Diablo Wafers, and have always wondered what they would taste like it I added some toasted Sesame Seeds. Well my curiosity got the best of me today, and since I have plenty sesame seeds I gave it a try. Not Bad……… I added about a quarter cup of sesame seeds to this recipe.

CHEESE DIABLO WAFERS
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 Pound Grated Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Softened Butter
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
2 to 3 Tablespoons of Water

Mix all ingredients, cutting the butter into the cheese and flour much in the same manner that you would if you were making pastry. Add only enough Water (one Tablespoon or less at a time) to hold the dough together. It should be like a pastry dough. On a floured
dough board roll the pastry out to about 1/4 inch thick. Using cookie cutters, cut into wafers and bake on a cookie sheet in a 450° oven for about 6 minutes. You will need to watch these closely as they cook quickly. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I would think that a little egg wash and sesame seeds on top would be wonderful!

Lee

LADawg

I just mixed the SS in with the cheese, butter, and flour...... Maybe next time I will just sprinkle them on top......If I were using an egg wash I would not use very much.....

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I watched Trisha Yearwood make something similar to this yesterday. She mixed everything together, loaded the dough into a cookie press with a star tip, and piped them onto a cookie sheet. They sure looked good.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I've used an egg wash for sticking seeds / things to bread -

one egg white
add 1 tbl cold water
whisk together
- strain/fish out the stringy bit on older eggs; easier to strain after thinning....

it's thin - doesn't have a "goop" factor - does add color....

Leni

When I saw Diablo I thought hot and spicy. I think that I'd add a little hot pepper flakes to it. Instead of water you could add hot sauce such as Red Rooster.