What to do with Zucchini?

Leni

Anyone have a new good recipe for zucchini? I can only leave so many on the doorsteps of my neighbors before they figure out who it is and retaliate.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Re: What to do with these ingredients Forum?

Anyone have a new good recipe for zucchini? I can only leave so many on the doorsteps of my neighbors before they figure out who it is and retaliate.
<<snort :yum::yum:

Have you tried stuffed zukes? Stuff them just like peppers. I add homemade salsa when I have it.

Mom used to slice zukes paper thin, fry them in olive oil till crisp. Then place in a bowl cover with fresh EVOO (don't use the cooking oil) and add fresh mint leaves. Cover and let sit in fridge overnight. Eat with crusty bread to dip in the oil or make a zuke sammie with them.

HTH

Leni

Now that is different. Did you ever just eat the crisp zucchini? Maybe dip them into sour cream or some such thing?

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

2879295241_c349715b11_o.jpg

2 cups grated zucchini
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying

In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, and butter or margarine. Stir in seasoned crumbs, minced onion, and seasoning. Mix well.

Shape mixture into patties. Dredge in flour.

In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Fry patties in oil until golden brown on both sides.

MORE HERE

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

Now that is different. Did you ever just eat the crisp zucchini? Maybe dip them into sour cream or some such thing?
That was mom's thing I am not a big zuke or mint lover. She had spearmint, peppermint and I think wintergreen mint growing like weeds!! She even put it in fresh brewed tea with sugar.

Slice & saute in butter with garlic & herbs.

Zuke (& potato - optional) pancakes. Serve with Tzatziki sauce & cherry tomatoes.

Zuke pasta (ribbons):
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/23/health/22recipehealth.html

Stuffed zucchini (with ricotta etc.):
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1041862

Zuke Lasagna.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/zucchini-lasagna.html

Last edited:
To add to the zuke ideas:

Zucchini fries

Zucchini (white) pizza

Add zukes to an omlette, frittata or quiche

Again, stuffed/boats - many ways to go - try adding some diced salami or cooked ground beef, turkey or sausage & cheese

Zucchini carpaccio - over crostini w/ toasted pine nuts or walnuts, ricotta & herbs.

Saute zukes with mushrooms, garlic, onions, & herbs, & toss with cooked pasta. Top with parm-reg.

Re the zuke lasagana - you could add mushrooms, shredded carrots etc., & make a veggie lasagna.

Stuffed shells

Leni

Thanks everyone. I now have some new ways to prepare them. I only have two plants but still my gardening partner and I are overwhelmed.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Here's a recipe I use alot; everyone seems to like it.

Corn and Zucchini con Crema

Ingredients
1 tablespoon corn oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
4 small zucchini, diced
1 can sweet corn, drained
2 ripe Roma tomatoes, chopped
1-2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and diced*
1-2 chopped jalapeno or Serrano chiles (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ cup crema (you can use heavy whipping cream or sour cream)
Crumbled or shredded cheese for garnish (I use cotija - you could use feta or any cheese you like)
Directions
1. Heat oil in skillet and cook onions until tender.
2. Add garlic, zucchini, corn, chiles and tomato; cook until crisp-tender. Remove from heat, cover, and let the mixture rest for 10 minutes or so until flavors are miced.
3. Just before serving, add cream and heat to serving temp, but don’t boil. Crumble about ½ cup cheese on top for a garnish.

*You could also use a can of diced green chiles

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
A couple more ideas:

- Zucchini bread is easy and delicious! Recipes are all over the web!

- ZUCCHINI AND ROSEMARY SOUP

From the Inn at Perry Cabin, St. Michaels, Maryland
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
6 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt broth
1 russet potato, peeled, sliced
3 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Croutons
Chopped green onions

Melt butter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in garlic and rosemary. Add stock and potato; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add sliced zucchini; simmer until tender about 15 minutes. Working in batches, puree in blender. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook cubed zucchini in saucepan of boiling salted water for 30 seconds. Drain. Rewarm soup over medium heat. Ladle into bowls. Top with zucchini and croutons. Sprinkle with green onions.

- Zucchini, Baked Slices

Ingredients

• 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions

In a bowl, toss the zucchini, butter and oregano. Arrange in a single layer on a greased baking sheet or shallow baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper.

Leni

WOW! I should have asked this question a long time ago. Stuffing the zucchini or making bread is something that just about everyone knows about. All of you have come up with some really good and different ideas. Thank you again. I just may have to stop the midnight skulker deposits on my neighbors front porches.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
mmm MMMM, K!

What's not to love there? Fresh, simple, delicious!

Lee

Phiddlechik

My mom grates zucchini and puts it into freezer bags, already measured for her bread or muffin recipe. Then throughout the year, can just pull out a bag and mix into bread/muffin.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Leni, I'm really glad you asked the question as well - lots of great ideas, even if (like me) you have no zucchini growing, but have to go purchase it at the market.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm not a huge fan of zucchini. I've always felt it needed a friend, like breadcrumbs!
I love zucchini bread, and there are countless recipes. They freeze well, too; so you can have bread all winter.
I love love love fried zucchini, served with marinara or remoulade.
I like stuffed zucchini - stuffed with sauteed vegetables, pignoli nuts and dried cranberries, topped with feta cheese.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Here's my favorite.

Slice some onions very thinly - so thin you can almost read the newspaper through them. Saute in a bit of olive oil over high heat until they start to get brown and a little crispy on the edges. Toss in a clove of minced garlic and heat briefly just until you can start to smell it.

Add sliced zucchini (kinda thin), plenty of salt & pepper, a dash of cayenne, and whatever Italian herbs you have around. Toss this over high heat so that the zuke slices cook quickly and get just a hint of golden on the edges, but don't get soggy.

Remove from the heat and toss in a handful of grated parmesan.

This is attractive if you use a mixture of zucchini and yellow squash.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I like to stuff mine w/a mixture of brown rice (cooked in chicken broth), shallots, mushrooms, red peppers and parmesan cheese :biggrin:

LaParis

Banned
I make a zucchini 'stew'. I add chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned), sliced pepperoni and red pepper strips. Other seasonal veggies that you have on hand can also be added.

BTW The pepperoni is essential for the flavor of this dish.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I make a zucchini 'stew'. I add chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned), sliced pepperoni and red pepper strips. Other seasonal veggies that you have on hand can also be added.

BTW The pepperoni is essential for the flavor of this dish.
That sounds good!! How long do you cook till the flavors are nicely married?

loboloco

Really good Zucchini Recipe.

1 bushel Zucchini
mound of stovewood.
5 gal gasoline.

Carefully stack firewood to create a pyre.
Place Zucchini at apex of pyre.
Soak with gasoline.
Light from safe distance.
Wait till fire is completely out, sift out large pieces, and use the rest as fertilizer for more useful crops.

Leni

loboloco, there have been times when I felt exactly like doing that but without the gasoline. My husband would routinely plant 6 to 12 zucchini's. You can just imagine how much we got. We have two plants that are more than feeding two families.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter

1 bushel Zucchini
mound of stovewood.
5 gal gasoline.

Soak with gasoline.
Wait till fire is completely out, sift out large pieces, and use the rest as fertilizer for more useful crops.
Not a fan of zucchini Jeff? :yum:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Here's my favorite.

Slice some onions very thinly - so thin you can almost read the newspaper through them. Saute in a bit of olive oil over high heat until they start to get brown and a little crispy on the edges. Toss in a clove of minced garlic and heat briefly just until you can start to smell it.

Add sliced zucchini (kinda thin), plenty of salt & pepper, a dash of cayenne, and whatever Italian herbs you have around. Toss this over high heat so that the zuke slices cook quickly and get just a hint of golden on the edges, but don't get soggy.

Remove from the heat and toss in a handful of grated parmesan.

This is attractive if you use a mixture of zucchini and yellow squash.

This sounds magnificent, SS!

Is your favorite done with fresh herbs or dried? I have both, at the moment.

Lee

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I found this one:

Source: from the River Cottage Cookbook (from the WWW)

Another way to utilize summer squash. Consider adding chicken or beef medallions, bits of ham or prosciutto or bacon. Grape tomatoes halved would work.

Servings: Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 pound zucchini, chopped
1 tablespoon cream
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan
8 ounces pasta
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Put a pot of water on to boil for the pasta, salt, and cook pasta until al dente. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Add garlic and zucchini. Season with salt early in the cooking to help draw out moisture. Stir whenever zucchini begin to stick to pan, and do not allow them to brown more than a shade. Keep cooking until they are no longer watery and begin to fall apart. Mash with a potato masher. Stir in cream and Parmesan, and let bubble until the cream is incorporated and has reduced slightly. Drain the pasta, toss with the sauce, and serve, passing more Parmesan at the table.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter

1 bushel Zucchini
mound of stovewood.
5 gal gasoline.

Soak with gasoline.
OH LORD!!

lifesaver91958

Queen of the Jungle
Gold Site Supporter
I use zucchini when making homemade spaghetti sauce.

Using in homemade salsa is also another good use.