Forum Slowness.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Not one to complain, but has anyone noticed that the forum seems to run really slow at times? Especially threads that have several pics on a page.

Is there anything being done to speed up the downloading of certain pages in the forum? Or is a new server being sought after? :unsure:

chowhound

Every page seems to be taking a while for me today. Even threads without pics.
Last week the forum was killing me, timing out and giving me an IE page saying that the page wouldn't load, which of course erased everything I had typed and tried to post when I hit the back button. I rebooted my router and the forum worked fine after that. I have to do that quite often here.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We are sooooooo close to getting a brand spanking new server in place. I am in the final phase of that upgrade. Working on a DNS hurdle, getting mysql server set up and setting up the mail server on a separate server. All these things together should provide a noticeably better browsing experience for all users.
This will mean an outage. I'm hoping to have everything in place and tested thoroughly by the end of this month. Then I will move my smaller forums first and NCT and FF last.
Wish me luck, and hang in there. Things will get better soon.

Deelady

Today is fine for me.....I've noticed it at other times though. But not nearly as bad asother sites! Sheesh some sites I normally enjoy takes about 5 mins just to load!

FryBoy

Yeah, it's been erratic, often very slow, not available at times, and then seemingly fine. I look forward to the upgrade.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We are sooooooo close to getting a brand spanking new server in place. I am in the final phase of that upgrade. Working on a DNS hurdle, getting mysql server set up and setting up the mail server on a separate server. All these things together should provide a noticeably better browsing experience for all users.
This will mean an outage. I'm hoping to have everything in place and tested thoroughly by the end of this month. Then I will move my smaller forums first and NCT and FF last.
Wish me luck, and hang in there. Things will get better soon.
good job doc!! btw will this mean losing any of the old threads? or is everything backed up and archived in the event of a mishap? i asked because this was done with another forum and for some reason all was lost.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
We'll all hang in during the upgrade Doc. ;)
Right now it seems a-ok and that's all that matters.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
good job doc!! btw will this mean losing any of the old threads? or is everything backed up and archived in the event of a mishap? i asked because this was done with another forum and for some reason all was lost.
Never fear about loosing threads. This forum is backed up every 24 hours. The absolute most we could ever loose is one day's worth of posts and that is if the issue happened 23 hours and 59 minutes after the last backup. Not real likely.
I will shut the forum down, and then back it all up and save the backup in multiple places. This ensures there is no data lost.
I've done this before and have a sure fire process in place to ensure nothing is lost and to keep downtime to a minimum. Sometimes the downtime is extended due to issues beyond my control but no way no how will we loose posts. Of that I am positive.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Never fear about loosing threads. This forum is backed up every 24 hours. The absolute most we could ever loose is one day's worth of posts and that is if the issue happened 23 hours and 59 minutes after the last backup. Not real likely.
I will shut the forum down, and then back it all up and save the backup in multiple places. This ensures there is no data lost.
I've done this before and have a sure fire process in place to ensure nothing is lost and to keep downtime to a minimum. Sometimes the downtime is extended due to issues beyond my control but no way no how will we loose posts. Of that I am positive.
very cool doc! you are doing a FANTASTIC job!! so when should i be there for smoked ribs and turkey birdie?

smoke king

Banned
When the forum slows down, I usually open "www.coedsinsaranwrap.com" in another tab and do some "research" over there until things pick up again.

And btw, I think its safe to say we all love the forum Doc-technical glitches and all!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
When the forum slows down, I usually open "www.coedsinsaranwrap.com" in another tab and do some "research" over there until things pick up again.

And btw, I think its safe to say we all love the forum Doc-technical glitches and all!
co-eds in saran wrap?