What to do with Tomato Juice?

AllenOK

I have been given several 46 oz cans of Tomato Juice. They're pretty darn big. I don't drink the stuff, nor does anyone else in the family.

I would make chili with it, but I only need about half of the can. At the same time, I would also make a batch of Tomato Bisque, but I'd never eat any of it.

I'd hate to waste the stuff. Any ideas?

goatherder

I can a lot of v-8 juice because it is easy and uses a lot of fresh garden vegetables. What I do most with it is: buy a case of tomato paste and use one can of paste for a quart jar of tomato juice and I get an easy tomato sauce.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
You have all covered what I can think of. SS, how many Bloody Mary's can you make with 48 oz of tomato juice? LOL

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
The juice will keep in the can for a long time. Once opened, I would freeze the remainder of the can in ice cube trays or muffin tins.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
My aunt's Hungarian MIL uses those big cans of tomato juice in her stuffed cabbage recipe and in her saurkraut soup recipe.

Gazpacho (salad) - w/ shrimp, avocado & croutons.​

l_R120402.jpg

• 2 1/2 pounds very ripe (7 or 8) medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
  • about 1 1/4 pounds (2 medium) cucumbers, peeled and seeded
  • 1/2 pound (1 medium) bell pepper (red, green or yellow), cored, seeded and cut nto 1-inch chunks
  • 2 large celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
  • 2 cups tomato juice
  • 1/2 pound grilled shrimp
  • avocado for garnish
In a large stainless steel, glass, or ceramic bowl, combine the tomatoes, 1 1/2 cucumbers, bell peppers, celery, tomato paste, salt, pepper and cayenne. Pour over the olive oil and vinegar, cover and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours, up to overnight, stirring occasionally.

Using a food processor fitted with a steel blade, process the vegetables until they are minced, still retaining some texture. (This will have to be done in 2 or 3 batches). Return to the bowl and pour in the tomato juice. Correct seasoning to taste and chill until serving time.

When ready to serve, cut the remaining half of cucumber into thin slices.

Ladle the gazpacho into 8 soup bowls. Garnish with the cucumber slices and top with grilled shrimp and avocado.

Crabmeat or lobster may be substituted for the grilled shrimp.

Last edited:

AllenOK

I might be interested in the recipe as well!

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It's not really the "what can I make" issue, though, it's "the frakking huge quantity" that's the issue. I like the freezing option. Hopefully I'll be getting a deep-freezer soon, and will think about freezing some.

Hope I have the juice & stock amounts correct, but you could make it to taste. Here's the general idea.

Red Pepper & Tomato Vodka Soup
Serving Size : 4

3 red peppers -- deseeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves -- peeled and chopped
1 medium onion -- peeled and roughly chopped
1 pint chicken stock -- approximately
1 pint tomato juice
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp Soy Sauce (low sodium)
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil -- plus extra leaves to garnish
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp vodka - or to taste
To garnish:
Sour cream
1 tomato -- seeded and diced

Put the peppers, garlic, onion, stock, tomato juice, sugar and soy sauce in a pan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for 1 hour.

Puree the soup in batches until smooth, season with freshly ground black pepper and stir in the basil and vodka.

Serve immediately or reheat when needed, garnishing each serving with a spoonful of sour cream and a scattering of finely diced tomato and some small basil leaves. Alternatively, reheat and garnish when needed as making the soup the day will allow its rich flavours to develop.

If the peppers are very large, the finished soup may need thinning to the desired consistency with a little extra stock or water

http://www.kikkoman.co.uk/recipes/?p=674

Last edited:

buckytom

Grill Master
yes, skunks love a good bloody mary and will not spray you if you make it right...

and then, blammo!!!!:bounce:

katlin

• 2 1/4 cups tomato juice
  • 1 1/3 cups finely chopped tomatoes (about 11 ounces)
  • 1/2 cup (generous) finely chopped roasted red bell peppers from jar
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon prepared white horseradish
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed
  • Generous dash of hot pepper sauce
  • Fine sea salt
  • 4 1/3-inch-thick rounds soft fresh goat cheese
  • 6 grape tomatoes, cut in half
  • 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
  • Additional extra-virgin olive oil (for drizzling)

Combine first 8 ingredients in large bowl; whisk to blend. Season soup to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled and flavors blend, at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 6 hours ahead. Keep chilled.
Ladle soup into 4 bowls. Top each with 1 goat cheese round and 3 grape tomato halves. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and basil. Drizzle with oil and serve.

This looked good to me.
BTW skunks are horrible drunks.

Last edited:

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Chili Con Carne FAST!
This will not win any Chili Cook offs. I gaurentee it will satisfy your family, friends, and yourself for a couple days.

"Etymology:
American Spanish chile con carne ~chili with meatDate:1857".
3 lbs Gound round
2- Ancho Peppers. (Lg Dried Pablano Peppers).
1 - Jalapeno Pepper.
1-Serrano Pepper
1- Tbs Chili Powder
1-Medium Yellow Onion
1-small yellow onion.
1-Lg can (Or glass jar) of Tomato Juice
2 sm Cans Kidney Beans. 1 Dark,1 light.
1 small can of corn (Color & Texture).
Olive Oil.
Lg. Kettle
Lg Frying Pan

In the large kettle. Pour in the Tomato Juice, Put burner on low.
Chop up Peppers,& Medium Onion. Toss in Kettle.

Fry Pan
Add a tbls Of olive oil, Chop small onion, put in fying pan, Add ground Round, (Brown Well & Season. Toss in Kettle

In the large kettle.
Cook covered, about 1 hr. Add Can of Corn, Any additional Chili Pepper(to your taste preferance) Another 15 Minutes. Lets Eat.

Top With Cheeze and Onions.

abi_csi

Soups and sauces for pastas.
Chuck it in casseroles for extra pizzazz.
Of course Bloody Mary's aswell.
You're going to be very healthy for quite some time!