Question: Ever smoke with Walnut?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
A buddy of mine gave me some walnut for the smoker. I've never used it, and I see the net says this:

Walnut - Walnut is best used for red meats and strong tasting, heavy game because of the strong and somewhat bitter flavor it provides. It is often mixed with woods with milder flavors in order to provide a more subtle flavor to foods.

Has any ever used Walnut? How was it, and would you do it again? I'm a bit bothered by the "bitter" part of that description......

Got about 2-3 hours to answer this, or I'm on my own and am going to try it on a grilled meatloaf (beef - red meat). Save me if you can! :yum:

:weber:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I have never used it, but if you decide to try it, Keltin, you should be able to tell right away if you like the smell of the smoke or not.

I once put a couple of chunks of mesquite in my smoker and it immediately STUNK so badly that I pulled it off and never used it again. Really foul stuff!

Pulling off the stinky mesquite right away saved my BBQ from disaster that day.

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Excellent tip Lee. Very good advice. I agree, Mesquite is STRONG! If Walnut smoke comes in like that, I think I'll pull it and switch in some cherry instead. Cross your fingers for me!! :biggrin:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Good luck Keltin. I would guess that walnut would be strong like Mesquite, a guess is not worth much though. No matter what you try be sure to let us know how it comes out.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, it’s on. The smoke actually smells really good. A bit strong, but nice. Depending on how much smoke the loaf picks up, this could be awesome. Here are some progress pics. First the loaf prepped and ready to go, then 10 minutes on.

I’m using the 18” Weber Kettle as an offset cooker for this. Takes about 1.5 to 1.75 hours to do a 3 lb meatloaf like this. I’ve got one large hunk of walnut on the coals that you can just see in the back. Heck, it actually burst into flames in the last pic! LOL!

Another hour and half to go. We shall see.

Attachments

• ml1.jpg
    ml1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 229
  • ml2.jpg
    ml2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 147
  • ml3.jpg
    ml3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 141

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, it's smelling REALLY good! I'm beginning to get impressed by this. Use a small chunk for low to medium smoke, and it is combining with the beef fat and smelling great. Can't wait for the tasting. I've got high hopes at this point. Again, keep those fingers crossed!

mhend

OMG. LOL!

The meatloaf turned out great! Didn't take any pics, but it was absolutely delicious! Made Mama's Au Gratin potatoes to go with it and man, those are keepers too!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
OMG. LOL!

The meatloaf turned out great! Didn't take any pics, but it was absolutely delicious! Made Mama's Au Gratin potatoes to go with it and man, those are keepers too!

Awesome! I've so got to do those potatoes!

Uh.....so we don't sound weird, we chatted in email today and both decided to do grilled meatloaf. She's already done......I'm such an under-achiever! :yum::yum::yum:

mhend

LOL! Yea, that probably clears things up a bit. :) Can't wait to see how your's turns out with the bacon and the walnut smoke!

Cuisinette

Keltin, is looking good. I wouldn't worry about the wood unless smells bad.

Last fall I smoked about 50 lb of meats.
My boyfriend got into an argument with me about the use of different type of wood. I told him to get the big branch laying on the ground by the creek and let me do the job.
He thought I would ruin the meat and in the end he could not believe how tasty the meat was.

I used Cottonwood.

What you think?

Costite+de+pork+2.jpg
Costite+de+pork+1.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Alright, it’s done. We did a quick sample since we couldn’t stand to wait, and we had to let you guys know. The majority is now resting as the sides complete…..yeah, we eat late. :lol:

Ok, 2 slices off the end show fantastic color on the smoke ring.

We pulled the bacon off the top and stuck it in a 400 degree oven to crisp, then we sauced the top of the loaf. That bacon is AWESOME! Nice treat. Try it! Really!!

As for the loaf, GREAT! I’m loving the flavoring. It’s bold, and makes itself known, but not bitter or nasty at all. The true smoke flavor comes through and lets you know that YES this is a grilled/smoked meatloaf. I LOVE this flavor! You will never, ever, EVER get this flavor from an oven loaf. Ever!

I’m impressed, and will be saving all my walnut for future loaves!

Walnut is strong, but not as bitter (or as strong) as mesquite. Still, I think it best used on red meat. I’m not sure I’d like walnut on chicken or pork chops, but for red meat, I whole heartedly suggest it.

Just don’t use a lot. I used one large chunk for the whole 2 hour cook. For smoking, I’d say a single large chunk every 2 hours. Go for the thin blue thread of smoke over time, and you’ll see the joys of walnut. A little goes a long way, but it does so in an impressive fashion! I’m very impressed with this wood on red meat!

I’d like to see walnut on beef ribs and burgers in the future. But remember, a little goes a long way, so one chunk at a time!

Thumbs up!!

Attachments

• fn1.jpg
    fn1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 129
  • fn2.jpg
    fn2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 150
  • fn3.jpg
    fn3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 134

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Oh WOW! Beautiful smoke ring Keltin! I'll bet it tastes wonderful!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh WOW! Beautiful smoke ring Keltin! I'll bet it tastes wonderful!

Thanks Mama! That smoke ring is actually impressing me! I've never had one that bright on a loaf before. Wow. And yep, it tastes great! Definitely a keeper.

Maybe there is something about walnut that adds to the ring? Don't know as this is my first shot at it, but that smoke ring is incredible! Might be a good competition tip to add a little walnut to your mix! :wink:

Cuisinette

Very nice result and a great idea for BBQ.
I can't wait to fire up mine and do a trial with a loaf or two.

Thanks for the pictures.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Very nice result and a great idea for BBQ.
I can't wait to fire up mine and do a trial with a loaf or two.

Thanks for the pictures.

Awesome! But be careful, once you do a loaf on the grill, you'll never go back to any other way! I think Mary can attest to that, yes?! :biggrin:

mhend

Oh WOW!!! That is beautiful K! Maybe walnut does have something to do with that ring. I used hickory on mine and it didn't look like that at all! Wonderful!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh WOW!!! That is beautiful K! Maybe walnut does have something to do with that ring. I used hickory on mine and it didn't look like that at all! Wonderful!!

Thanks! I'm no chemist, but the bacon was on top, and the ring is 360 around (and even a bit thinner on top), so we can't call it sodium bleed-through. I think maybe walnut has something that adds to the ring? Don't know......but I do know I got that ring with one small chunk over 2 hours, and it tasted great!!! :yum:

Who loves grilling? Raise your hands! Come on!! :lol:

mhend

Thanks! I'm no chemist, but the bacon was on top, and the ring is 360 around (and even a bit thinner on top), so we can't call it sodium bleed-through. I think maybe walnut has something that adds to the ring? Don't know......but I do know I got that ring with one small chunk over 2 hours, and it tasted great!!! :yum:

Who loves grilling? Raise your hands! Come on!! :lol:
I've got the grilling fever for sure! I was so glad when it finally warmed up!:weber:

Cuisinette

Awesome! But be careful, once you do a loaf on the grill, you'll never go back to any other way! I think Mary can attest to that, yes?! :biggrin:

I'll take your word for it. I love BBQ in any way or shape.
I am thinking to open a thread to show you my "toys".

mhend

I will indeed! I cook meatloaves in the oven now and it's just not the same anymore. LOL! Smoked meatloaf has ruined me! :biggrin:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Awesome Keltin. :thumb: :clap: :clap: That looks so good. I was going to ask where the bacon went as I could not see it in the finished product but since you mentioned it I know it was there. I bet that meatloaf would make for great ML sandwiches today or tomorrow. I like the cold ML sammies as much as the ML dinner of late. DW tuned me on to mayo on the sammie instead of the traditional ketchup and that makes a world of difference.

Cuisi, please show us your 'toys'. :thumb: :D

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
So where do the peons obtain walnut chunks, Keltin? With my finger in the wind it sounds like it might combine well with hickory for ribs or pulled meat prep. I was thinking maybe some apple chunks too but then again the walnut would probably overpower it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never used it for smoke but do know Walnuts make a great leather dye. As a matter of fact I'm having a holster and belt done in it as of this posting. Next time I crank up the smoker perhaps will give it a try with a brisket.