Why I can't have a garden...

mhend

I don't know where the corn cob came from! I tried to have a tomato garden last year, but they got to them before they were ripe. Cute little things, but annoying!

Squirrel.jpg

Squirrel3.jpg

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I agree, they are cute, and I love watching them scamper and chase each other early in the morning and late in the afternoon. However....they have helped themselves to the coconut liners in my hanging baskets and have ruined them. At first I didn't mind. I thought, "Ohhhhh, that's so cute. They're using that to line their nests." Now that they've torn them to chit, it's no longer cute.

mhend

Exactly! They have eaten their way into our attic more than once and the wiring harness of DH's car. Not cute at all.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Talking about not cute at all....if you leave that corn cob out tonight, you might be able to sneak out and snap a shot of a possum :lol:. They love corn cobs!

mhend

LOL! Cooksie, if I run up on a possum, the last thing I will be thinking of is taking pictures. I grew up in the country, but I am not a fan of wild, possibly rabid animals. I'll be the woman screaming like a crazy person!

Leni

Cute? Yes! But they got every apricot and every peach this year. I have the urge to kill! I had to go and buy those fruits in order to make preserves this year.

mhend

I hear ya, Leni! I had lots of peaches on my tree this year, and they were eaten before I could get to them. We have tons of squirrels here. Don't know what to do about them either. As I said in the previous post, they have chewed their way into my attic more than once. Each time they do, I have to get someone out here to trap them and seal up the hole. Totally aggrevating!!!

Leni

At least they didn't get my Satsuma plum tree. I've never seen this plum in the stores and it is my favorite. Great for eating out of hand, making pies, and the preserves are wonderful. I had the help of a mocking bird and next doors dog. I laughed out loud when I saw the bird dive bomb the squirrel. It ran as fast as it could and dove into my neighbors orange tree.

Leni

If you ever see them buy Satsuma plums. They are not the prettiest of plums but the flesh is dark red, very flavorful, and on the meaty side. You will not have juice running down your chin but they are so good. I don't know why they can't be found in stores.

mhend

Talking about not cute at all....if you leave that corn cob out tonight, you might be able to sneak out and snap a shot of a possum :lol:. They love corn cobs!

Cooksie, you jinxed me!!!! I went out on my front porch late last night and guess what was there waiting on me? A huge, ugly possum, just eyeballin me! :shock:

I screamed, my lighter went flying and he ran off! LOL!! I am really surprised my crazy neighbor didn't call the police. Still can't find that lighter! :yum:

Mr. Green Jeans

Our next door neighbor back in Ohio fed the evil little creatures. it was not unusual to see a dozen at a time in our yard. We kept having flea issues with our dogs and our vet asked if we had squirrels in the area as they are a vector for fleas. He said as long as the furry tailed rats were present, the dogs would be miserable and we'd dipping, spraying fogging you get the drill. That's when I broke out the pellet gun and did a little population control.

Leni

I've always called them rats with furry tails. I'd love to do what you did, Mr. Green Jeans but I live in the San Fernando Valley and I'd probably get a visit from the police.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Cooksie, you jinxed me!!!! I went out on my front porch late last night and guess what was there waiting on me? A huge, ugly possum, just eyeballin me! :shock:

I screamed, my lighter went flying and he ran off! LOL!! I am really surprised my crazy neighbor didn't call the police. Still can't find that lighter! :yum:

:lol::lol: how funny!

Mr. Green Jeans

I understand Leni. For us, desperate times called for desperate action. Fleas are easy to eradicate and our pets were suffering.