1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1/8 tsp. Ground sea salt
Dash Ground peppercorns
Hot chili sesame oil - to taste
Fresh ginger - 2 -3 thin slices - or to taste - optional
1 - 2 cloves fresh garlic - or to taste - optional

2 packages of wonton wrappers
Water to seal wrappers

1 (48 oz.) Box Swanson Chicken Broth or homemade chicken stock (I used 1/2 homemade chicken stock)
2 TBSP soy sauce
3 - 4 drops Sesame oil - or to taste
Bok choy leaves - chiffonade
2 scallion chopped white and green parts
Thin slivers of roast pork - to taste - optional
Hot chili sesame oil - to taste - optional

To make wontons

Place green onions, garlic and ginger in mini food processor and pulse to a fine chop or chop fine by hand.
Place pork and other filling ingredients in bowl and mix thoroughly.
Place 1 tsp. filling in center of each wrapper.
Fold over at center to make a triangle. Wet with water along edges & press together.
Gently press indent in the middle of the long side.
Pull the two tails together and fold over each other, press together and seal with a little water.

To cook wontons

Bring pot of water to a boil.
Drop wontons in and stir.
Cook for about 5 minutes or until they float to top of pot.
Remove with spider strainer and set aside.
***Alternately may cook wontons in stock/broth till they float to top of pot then continue with soup instructions.

For Soup

In a large sauce pan bring chicken stock/ broth to a boil.
Add soy sauce, wontons and bok choy, return to a boil.
Garnish with green onions, slivered roasted pork and a splash of sesame oil and/or hot chili sesame oil if desired and serve.

050211_wonton_soup_prep.jpg

Made with canned chicken broth. Wontons cooked in water, drained then added to broth

050211_wonton_soup.jpg

Made with homemade chicken stock. Wontons cooked in the stock.

051911_wonton_soup.jpg

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I had a hankering for wonton soup tonight, and had two opened bags of wontons in the freezer (pork and mushroom, and pork and leek) that I wanted to use up.

I used Peep's recipe for the broth, but didn't have bok choy or green onions. I just used some fresh parsley.

This hit the spot! Peep's broth recipe is excellent!

Lee
Wonton soup.JPG

Last edited:

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
wow they both look good... i need to make some wontons soon...maybe wonton soup....deep fried wontons..oh great i am hungry..lol

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Made this again, with frozen "pork and leek" wontons from the Asian supermarket.

It's SO easy, so good, so comfort-food!

This time I had baby bok choy, which I chopped up. I have green onions for garnish, but since the dumplings have leeks in them, I'll just use a couple for presentation and texture.

YUMMMM!

Lee
Wonton soup with bok choy.JPG

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
P.S. Peeps, I love your dish and spoon! Must get a set for myself!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
P.S. Peeps, I love your dish and spoon! Must get a set for myself!
YUMMY Lee!! I may make homemade wontons next weekend. Filling only takes about 5 minutes or less to zap the add ins in the mini chopper then mix with the meat. My DD and I can fill and seal a package of wontons in about 20 minutes or less. Really quick meal.

I also want to try my hand at homemade egg rolls.

PS Lee the bowls are square corelle bowls (I love the fact that they don't break to easy LOL) and the spoons I got many years ago when DD#1 was just starting to feed herself. That one in the picture is ceramic. BUT I let her use the plastic ones.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, BTW, Peep, I'm glad I looked back at your broth recipe as I was making this batch!

I thought I remembered it, but your addition of "hot" made a big difference in the flavor! I used a tiny bit of Sambal Oleck (sp?) and it was perfect!

I gave half of this batch to my wonderful friend and neighbor, Kathy, who has a cold and she adores this soup!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Oh, BTW, Peep, I'm glad I looked back at your broth recipe as I was making this batch!

I thought I remembered it, but your addition of "hot" made a big difference in the flavor! I used a tiny bit of Sambal Oleck (sp?) and it was perfect!

I gave half of this batch to my wonderful friend and neighbor, Kathy, who has a cold and she adores this soup!

Lee
I love adding a splash of sesame oil and/or hot chili sesame oil to the soup and just about ALL my asian inspired dishes. I love adding them to my jasmine rice and stir fry. It gives them a nice asian flare of flavor AND heat.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
heyyyyyyy, peepz, care to take a trip to pittsburgh & make dinner together~ hehe. sounds so good. & i'm starving.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
heyyyyyyy, peepz, care to take a trip to pittsburgh & make dinner together~ hehe. sounds so good. & i'm starving.
So long as you have a grilled medium NY strip with blue cheese butter on top for me. LOL :brows:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
peepz, it's a meal & it's a deal. i have 2 strip steaks, 1 thawed, & bleu that i could whip w/ butter in the kitchenaid stat. the butter's 'awaitin, see u soon! ;)

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
peepz, it's a meal & it's a deal. i have 2 strip steaks, 1 thawed, & bleu that i could whip w/ butter in the kitchenaid stat. the butter's 'awaitin, see u soon! ;)
Damn!! I have to work tomorrow!! Shoulda told me this on friday night. I also have some nice blue cave aged blue cheese from TJ's.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
well ur just gonna hafta call in sick w/ the bleus, hehe. peepz, you're the best.
I called out 2 days last week. AND I STILL can't shake this freaking bug!! Still have aches and a wet annoying cough.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
awwww. u know, sometimes u just can't shake it. i was rather ill for 7 months before they found the problem when i finally caved & went to the 'piddle.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
awwww. u know, sometimes u just can't shake it. i was rather ill for 7 months before they found the problem when i finally caved & went to the 'piddle.
YUP and having other health issues (known or unknown at the time) makes it harder for anyone to shake a simple cold. :sad:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Will be making this tonight, as it's a cold and blustery November day.

Dad is visiting me, and he requested it.

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Will be making this tonight, as it's a cold and blustery November day.

Dad is visiting me, and he requested it.

Lee

Enjoy Lee. I don't have a clue what dinner will be. I want wonton soup.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
New pictures plus add-ins

Add-ins were Baby bok choy chiffonade, snow peas, sliced scallions, enoki mushrooms, bean sprouts, toasted sesame oil, hot chili sesame oil, soy sauce, black and white sesame seeds.

attachment.php

Homemade pork wontons (I used ground pork shoulder and fresh wonton wrappers, it tasted really good. The wontons were cooked day before) heated in chicken broth. Wontons and boiling broth added to bowl on top of veggies. The veggies were nice and crisp.

attachment.php