Reheating prime rib question

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I put half of my roasted-to-medium-rare Christmas prime rib in the freezer, to save until my father could join me. It's vacuum sealed.

What is the best way to reheat it, so that it is warm, but doesn't overcook it?

Can I do sort of a DIY sous vide or something?

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
you need an excellently controlled temperature.

how's the oven? does it have a warm setting? what is the lowest temp you can set?
(and check that with a thermometer - ovens are notoriously wild at low temps....)

any heat more than the 130'ish for med rare will cook it to 'more done'
the theory of hot broth/stock works but only if you can control the temp - most of the time the liquid goes to a simmer or even light boil and the meat gets toasted.

put it in a low temp, takes time - thick slices 30-40 minutes.
and, sigh, you'll likely find it not as good as 'the original'

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, hey, Chowder - great idea!

My super swell toaster oven goes down to 120!

Maybe wrap the meat in Saran?

Lee

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Possibly, take out of freezer and put in fridge 24 hours before for slow defrost as well.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I took the whole chunk, still in it's Foodsaver vacuum seal bag, wrapped it in foil and put it in a 130 oven with a probe thermometer. Had to keep kicking up the oven temp, ending up at 250. Took out the meat when the internal temp. was 118.

Sliced it, and the center was still a bit pink, so call it medium-well.

Still moist, tender and delicious - just not red.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm not sure it's possible to re-heat and "keep" the same doneness.

but anything edible gets labelled a success!

Johnny West

I use the leftover prime rib to make hash using old Joy of Cooking recipe - the best. I also fix bacon and eggs on thee side.:heart:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I've read on the Instant Pot FB page that people reheat cooked meat using Sous Vide and it is never overcooked because you set the temperature you want and it never goes above.
I have an Instant Pot Ultra and can do Sous Vide but I haven't tried it yet.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
nice theory, isn't it .... but it does not work out for many dishes. to wit:
prime rib / any roast: you want the outside crunchy/crisp. for prime rib I like the outer layer of meat a bit more done and rare in the middle - that takes a temperature gradient hot-to-warm - which bringing everything to the same temp does not do....

one of the "problems" with high heat and prime rib (et.al.) is that temp gradient. it's too much at high heat - the outer layers are over done before the inner - especially for bone in - are in the 130-135 range.