Sherman, Cooksie: You going into work today???

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Or are you lucky enough to sit out the blizzard at home?

Since I manage a hardware store, I have to go in (storms are big business for us). But I'm going to lobby the owners to close the store by noon, or early afternoon, since that's when the state of emergency begins.

Best of luck to you guys, and to the others in the Northeast who will be hit with this storm!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Lol, there's no blizzard here. It's probably going to get into the 70's today.

Take care all who are going to have to endure this storm. I don't mind an inch or two of snow, but big snow storms with lots of accumulation scare me.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
We're expecting 12 - 14 inches. DD#1 is at work till 4:30 which I am not going to be happy driving in to get her. DD#2 got out of school 1/2 day and says it is really icy out.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lol, there's no blizzard here. It's probably going to get into the 70's today.

LOL! Cooksie, I keep thinking you live in Boston!

I might be mixing you up with another member who has a similar name.

Enjoy your 70's weather, and thanks for the good wishes!

Lee

Shermie

Site Supporter
Sorry that I missed this thread.

I'm just now finding out that it was posted.

I stayed home that day. I'm unemployed and on SSDI plus 2 pensions. When weather like that hits, I do the only thing that anyone else would do; Stay home and be nice & warm, comfy and dry!!

It's beautiful to watch, but only from the inside. I don't like being out in it unless I absolutely positively have to, and that is very rarely. :bounce:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yet another snowstorm is headed our way tonight at midnight!!! Starting off as snow, then turning to messy sloppy sleet and rain!!

Shermie

Site Supporter
Boston's schools are closed again today, adding to the ultra-long weekend since Friday!!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I gave myself a snow day tomorrow.
That's mighty nice of you Andy. :D Enjoy.

We got the rain yesterday pretty much all day. Still got up to 50. Sun today and in the 40's. This season the snow has went south of us and north of us ...we have gotten a little but not even enough to break out my tractor to plow the drive. Lucky lucky lucky. I'm enjoying it while I can. Next season that can all change, and most likely will change.

For those with snow ..cheer up ...spring will be here in TWO days. While you still might get snow you know it won't last long.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks.

I would hate to have to burst your bubble, but you are NOT free from the forces of Mother Nature out there.

There are landslides from heavy rains, massive brush fires and earthquakes out there.

Leni

Didn't say that I was. The landslides start after the fires and the rains. In the meantime we are reseeding the slopes to prevent that.

We haven't had a big earthquke since Northridge. Haven't even had one wake me up for several years. Tornados happen every year. Big earthquakes maybe every twenty or thirty years or even more. My house is solidly built and has survived several quakes. Still I have a generator and plenty of supplies in reserve. That includes stuff for the cat. I think that is better than facing huge snow storms every winter or tornadoes every summer and fall. Should also remember hurricanes.

Shermie

Site Supporter
We've has a few close calls with a quake, especially the one that occurred in West Virginia two summers ago!

I was with a friend visiting Washington, DC. We went to visit the Washington Monument and went to the observation deck.

Two weeks later, at 2pm, I was home and felt the building shaking! Thought that I was getting sick because I felt a little dizzy. Found out about two hours later, there was an earthquake that shook the entire Eastern Seaboard!!

It was felt as far north as Maine and as far west as Detroit and Chicago!! The Washington Monument was damaged from it, causing it to be closed for repairs! It is still closed even today!

In downtown Boston, skyscrapers were swaying, causing workers to flee the buildings and run out to the streets!! It was a harrowing experience! One that you wouldn't ever want to have to witness or go through again!!

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Luckily we don't have to deal with too much snow other than just enough to enjoy for a day or 2 maybe once a year...although we haven't had any in the past couple of years. Tornadoes and Thunderstorms are the big things here. We have felt a couple of very mild quakes here....just barely enough to feel and say "What was that?"...nothing to be alarmed about. I guess every area of the country has it's pros and cons when it comes to the weather.

Shermie

Site Supporter
We're always getting the leftover remains of a hurricane in the form of a nor'easter.

Hurricane Sandy was really a monster, dumping tons of rain, severely crippling New York City to a standstill and just making a mess of things elsewhere!!

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
We get some rare tornadoes at times. I would sooner deal with the snow and cold than heat. Speaking of cold---we are at 18 degrees with a wind chill of 0. Got another 1-2" of snow last night. They don't expect any big change for us till into April. I am tired of the wind this winter. Everybody is complaining about their heating bills this winter. We have had a little snow and a LOT of wind.

Shermie

Site Supporter
The bad weather is over now here, though it is still cold. Was sunny today with highs in the mid 30s.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Another snowstorm is coming yet again!! But this one is said to be very light. Not much. Only about an inch for Boston.