Pieces of Emerald

Here's a recipe perfectly suited to St. Patrick's Day!

2 cups of white sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. peppermint extract
4 to 5 drops green food coloring
confectioner's sugar

Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet with butter. Put the white sugar, corn syrup and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches 302 degrees - hard crack stage. You will need a candy thermometer for this process. Remove the saucepan from the heat and
quickly add the peppermint flavoring and the green food coloring. Stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate into sugar mixture. Then pour mixture into the middle of the prepared cooking sheet. Mixture will spread into a wide pool.

Lightly sprinkle with confectioner's sugar before the mixture is fully set then let it cool completely. Using your hands, lift the candy from the cookie sheet and crack it sharply on the edge of the cookie sheet to break it into bite-sized pieces. Toss pieces with a little extra confectioner's sugar to prevent pieces from sticking together. Store in an airtight container. :wow:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I am always impressed by people who are not intimidated by making homemade candy!

Nice going, Fallon!

Lee

Oh, Lee, don't be too impressed with the fact that I can make this silly kid's candy. I tried making some truffles at Christmas and it was a total (not to mention expensive!) disaster. I can't make fudge worth a hoodinky! And the one time I tried to make a red velvet cake my entire kitchen looked as though I'd been butchering hogs! And don't ever come to my house expecting pancakes! All you'll get is manhole covers that even the dog won't touch................even the ever-faithful Bisquik doesn't save panckes from me! :neutral:

Fallon