Beef Cheeks - What to do?

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve always heard on cooking shows that cheek meat is the most flavor and tender meat if you can get it. Even fish have cheek meat, and the shows say cheek meat is highly prized.

I’ve never had it, or even seen it…….until today.

I went to Wal-Mart for a few supplies, and as always, I strolled by the meat counter. Shopping the meat counter is almost as fun as shopping for electronics for me! :lol:

While browsing, I found a couple packs of Beef Cheek Meat, so I grabbed one. It’s just over two pounds, so I’m going to open it up and split it into 1 pound packs for freezing in a little while. It looks like it’s going to be chunks of meat. So I’ll save a small chunk and pan fry it in olive oil to see how tender and flavorful it is.

So, now, my big question is……..what do I do with it? Anyone ever tried this or cooked with it?

I was thinking maybe a stew or Barb’s No Peek Casserole? Maybe shish kabobs or stir-fry if it is tender?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• bc1.jpg
    bc1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 271
  • bc2.jpg
    bc2.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 227
  • bc3.jpg
    bc3.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've never had them but I found this recipe from Epicurious that sounds really good ahd has some wonderful reviews:

Guancette di Manzo When braised, these beef cheeks become meltingly tender, with a rich, deep flavor. You may want to check with your butcher...
more ›
rd_buckets_divider.gif

• 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 (12-oz) beef cheeks, trimmed of excess fat
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
  • 1/2 celery rib, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 cups red wine (preferably a dry Lambrusco or Chianti)
  • 1 (28- to 32-oz) can whole tomatoes including juice, chopped (3 cups)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

rd_buckets_divider.gif

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in an ovenproof 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. While oil is heating, pat beef cheeks dry and season with salt and pepper. Brown beef, without crowding, on all sides, about 20 minutes total, and transfer with tongs to a bowl. Pour off fat from pot, then add remaining 2 tablespoons oil and cook onion, carrot, and celery over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Stir cocoa powder into vegetable mixture, then add wine and scrape up any brown bits. Increase heat to high and boil until liquid is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
Return cheeks (with any juices) to pot and add tomatoes with juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then braise, covered, in middle of oven until very tender, about 3 hours.
Cooks' note: • Beef cheeks improve in flavor if made up to 2 days ahead. Cool, uncovered, then chill, surface covered with parchment paper or wax paper and pot covered with lid. Remove any solidified fat before reheating.

Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Braised-Beef-Cheeks-107803#ixzz1TjHYZZaI

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that sounds good! Cocoa Powder? What a trip. I don’t have that but will pick some up.

This sounds a bit like a stew, and a yummy one at that. I’ll give this a whirl and let everyone knows how it turned out. Thanks!!!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I have put unsweetened cocoa powder in beef chili and it is good. But you have to let it sit overnight to marry and mellow the flavors.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
:yum::yum::yum:

So many jokes are waiting to happen here! :lol:

From la cabeza, the northen end of a north bound cow. :yum:
Ok thank you for the clarification.

BTW I posted the recipe for the egg noodles in creamy garlic sauce.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Keltin, you lucky dog! I've heard the same thing about cheek meat and have always wanted to try it, too! Have never seen it for sale.

Mama, that recipe looks delicious!!! I'm sure K can take it to new heights!

Lee

Norm

Cassie has a recipe for cheek and tongue- really. I'd prefer she just used the cheeks. She calls it barbacoa and different regions make it differently but the area where her grandmother lives makes it in an oven. Slow cooker is a good substitute. After cooked she shreds it and serves in on yeast rolls similar to French rolls.

Barbacoa recipe:

Approx. 3 lbs tongue and cheek meat. Cut it into strips about 2 inches wide. Season it with Adobo seasoning, garlic salt and pepper. Season generously. Place in crock pot with 1 large can of Las Palmas Red Chile sauce (or Red enchilada sauce), a medium size can of tomato sauce, along with a couple of bay leaves and cook on low for at least 9 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it gets!

Serve it with whole pinto beans, salsa, salad and rolls.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, so I tested it. I opened the pack, and there were two large hunks of meat. I trimmed out some fat and cut it down to cubes and froze them in two 1 pound bags. So I have two bags to cook with in the future.

I kept a chunk out and sautéed it in some Olive oil and S&P to medium / medium-rare.

Tough as nails! This is some tough and chewy meat. BUT……the flavor is great.

Ok, so that means braising! Soups, Stews, etc.

First up will be Mama’s recipe that she posted. I should get to that in the next few days.

After that, I guess a traditional beef strew with carrots, onions, potatoes, mushrooms, etc.

Maybe even a Brunswick stew if I add some other meat. Or maybe a Beef Pot Pie if I braise the meat before hand.

Or……I could grind it for patties. Hmmmm……

The flavor is great, but dang it is some tough meat.

Attachments

• test1.jpg
    test1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 185
  • test2.jpg
    test2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 196
  • test3.jpg
    test3.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 190
  • test4.jpg
    test4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 194

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Norm! Just what the Doctor ordered! I'll give this a shot with the second pack. I LOVE Pinto beans, so with some cornbread, this will be great. Awesome. Thank you so much! :thumb:

Cassie has a recipe for cheek and tongue- really. I'd prefer she just used the cheeks. She calls it barbacoa and different regions make it differently but the area where her grandmother lives makes it in an oven. Slow cooker is a good substitute. After cooked she shreds it and serves in on yeast rolls similar to French rolls.

Barbacoa recipe:

Approx. 3 lbs tongue and cheek meat. Cut it into strips about 2 inches wide. Season it with Adobo seasoning, garlic salt and pepper. Season generously. Place in crock pot with 1 large can of Las Palmas Red Chile sauce (or Red enchilada sauce), a medium size can of tomato sauce, along with a couple of bay leaves and cook on low for at least 9 hours. The longer it cooks, the better it gets!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Barbacoa recipe:

Holey moley, Norm - that one sounds fantastic, too!

Lee

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ok, so I tested it. I opened the pack, and there were two large hunks of meat. I trimmed out some fat and cut it down to cubes and froze them in two 1 pound bags. So I have two bags to cook with in the future.

I kept a chunk out and sautéed it in some Olive oil and S&P to medium / medium-rare.

Tough as nails! This is some tough and chewy meat. BUT……the flavor is great.

Ok, so that means braising! Soups, Stews, etc.

First up will be Mama’s recipe that she posted. I should get to that in the next few days.

After that, I guess a traditional beef strew with carrots, onions, potatoes, mushrooms, etc.

Maybe even a Brunswick stew if I add some other meat. Or maybe a Beef Pot Pie if I braise the meat before hand.

Or……I could grind it for patties. Hmmmm……

The flavor is great, but dang it is some tough meat.
Well with all the chewing they do no wonder it's tough muscle meat.