Advice on a food processor

smoke king

Banned
I'm in the market for a food processor. The one I have now is a kitchen aid, one of those small ones. It has been a little workhorse for me over the years, but thats the problem. Its just a little workhorse. I need something bigger.

Being a guy, and left to my own decision making process, I'll come home with whatever one is the most space age looking with a lot of buttons, and then likely suffer buyers remorse for months.

What do you all use/recommend? I'd like to say money is no object, but since I'm eyeballing a new german guitar, I need to watch my pennies!

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I have a Kitchenaid 9 cup. It only has three buttons, and those seem to work for me. I did invest in the 6 blade expansion pack though.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Over the years, I've had a Robo-coupe (a long time ago), a Kitchen Aid (large), a large Cuisinart (current) and a mini Cuisinart (also current).

The best of the bunch was the KitchenAid. If I were in the market to replace, I'd go back to a KA. Now they even have a mini built right into the big processor!

gadzooks

I have tried a number of food processors. KitchenAid 12 cup, Cuis' 7, 11 and 14 cup. I didn't like the feel of the KA, and it was hard for me to clean. The Cuis' are all powerful and quiet, easy clean, but the dlc 10 (7 cup) is a bit small and the dlc 7 (14 cup) a bit large for my use. Like Goldilocks, I settled on the dlc 8 (11 cup). Nice size, found all the accessory discs and whisk attachment in a thrift store for next to nothing. I use most of the discs, haven't used the whisk thing. Cuis' made a chute attachment for only the 11 cup model, and I bought one. It replaces the work bowl, and shoots shredded/sliced foods out the side into a separate bowl or pot or pan. No stopping to empty the bowl when shredding cabbage for sauerkraut or potatoes for hash browns for twenty hungry folks. My preference is clearly the Cuisinart DLC 8+, 11 cup. Two buttons, ON and PULSE/OFF. Makes crust for two two crust pies in about a minute. The only thing I liked better about the larger DLC 7 (14 cup) is that an 8mm slicing disc is available for it. Thickest available for the others is 6mm. The Cuis' all have a combination wide/narrow feed chute, very nice. The KA did have a smaller work bowl for very small chopping jobs, but I have knives for small chopping jobs. The accessory discs are expensive if bought separately from a dealer or Cuisinart, but can be had for a reasonable price as a full set on eBay, or occasionally at a thrift shop or yard sale. Of the full set, the only one I never use is the 2mmx2mm julienne cutter.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
Oh, and I never get white appliances anymore - too hard to keep clean. MIne is silver and black, like the rest of my kitchen !!

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have this one, Kenmore Elite 14 cup:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00890002000P
I am happy with it but not thrilled. It works great, has several discs that allow me to do almost anything with it, is extremely powerful, and has the membrane covered buttons (I hated cleaning the gunk from around the buttons on my old one). What I don't like about it is that the design could be better in the work bowl. There are lots of little crevices where food gets stuck so it's a pain to clean. Anyway, it retails for about $140 but I got it on ebay for $60, so I'm less annoyed with the tedious cleaning than if I had paid full price for it.

leolady

I have tried a number of food processors. KitchenAid 12 cup, Cuis' 7, 11 and 14 cup. I didn't like the feel of the KA, and it was hard for me to clean. The Cuis' are all powerful and quiet, easy clean, but the dlc 10 (7 cup) is a bit small and the dlc 7 (14 cup) a bit large for my use. Like Goldilocks, I settled on the dlc 8 (11 cup). Nice size, found all the accessory discs and whisk attachment in a thrift store for next to nothing. I use most of the discs, haven't used the whisk thing. Cuis' made a chute attachment for only the 11 cup model, and I bought one. It replaces the work bowl, and shoots shredded/sliced foods out the side into a separate bowl or pot or pan. No stopping to empty the bowl when shredding cabbage for sauerkraut or potatoes for hash browns for twenty hungry folks. My preference is clearly the Cuisinart DLC 8+, 11 cup. Two buttons, ON and PULSE/OFF. Makes crust for two two crust pies in about a minute. The only thing I liked better about the larger DLC 7 (14 cup) is that an 8mm slicing disc is available for it. Thickest available for the others is 6mm. The Cuis' all have a combination wide/narrow feed chute, very nice. The KA did have a smaller work bowl for very small chopping jobs, but I have knives for small chopping jobs. The accessory discs are expensive if bought separately from a dealer or Cuisinart, but can be had for a reasonable price as a full set on eBay, or occasionally at a thrift shop or yard sale. Of the full set, the only one I never use is the 2mmx2mm julienne cutter.

Gotta go with Gadzooks on this one. :tiphat:

I have all sizes of the cuisinarts and have used KAs also. I also own two commercial Robot Coupes.

For most home uses I recommend the Cuisinart in the 11 or 14 cup sizes.:a1:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
DW got me a 14cup KA for my birthday last year. Love the thing, has two mini bowls built in plus a wide mouth feeder. Silver/black finish so fits my kitchen theme. Also came with the expansion pack including a juicer and whip. I think she bought it at BB&B on sale and got a great deal on it.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Gotta go with Gadzooks on this one. :tiphat:

I have all sizes of the cuisinarts and have used KAs also. I also own two commercial Robot Coupes.

For most home uses I recommend the Cuisinart in the 11 or 14 cup sizes.:a1:

I agree, I love my Cuisinart--the replacement parts are easy to obtain and it is a really good workhorse. I make pie dough in mine and even certain cakes.

Mr. Green Jeans

Bob, love my Cuisinart it along with the KA mixer we have are the 2 essential electric appliances in the kitchen. My only regret (just sometimes) was not spending a few extra $ and getting the big unit. Comes in handy making soups etc for a crowd.

leolady

Bob, love my Cuisinart it along with the KA mixer we have are the 2 essential electric appliances in the kitchen. My only regret (just sometimes) was not spending a few extra $ and getting the big unit. Comes in handy making soups etc for a crowd.

Now you have to get a Vita Mix blender! :in_love:

Those three pieces of equipment - Vita Mix, KA mixer, and a Cuisinart are in my opinion essential pieces of the kitchen. They are the "holy trinity" and with them you can do about ANYTHING in the kitchen.:thumb:

It does not matter if you get good working vintage ones or brand new ones everybody should have all three IMHO.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also use a hand blender for soups and sauces. Mine is a Braun type and love it.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's one of the reasons I got the one I ended up with - the bigger capacity is a real time saver when cooking for a crowd. I just wish I had looked at the bowl design first so I wouldn't have to use a toothpick to get all the little bits of food out of all the crevices every time I use it.:angry:

gadzooks

Ummmm, yes, but like a regular blender on steroids. The motor is powerful enough, and turns at a high enough speed, to generate enough heat to cook soups in the blender. Like pesto? While your pasta rests, make it in the Vita Mix, and it's ready to serve, warm, in less than five minutes. I like fresh flax meal in smoothies...dump an ounce of flax seed in the Vita Mix and pulse it a few times on high...flax meal, ready for the rest of the ingredients. I have the older 3600+, chrome base with stainless steel container, and the newer 5200, plastic base and clear Lexan container(s). The newer ones are more powerful, but nothing looks cooler than an old 3600 or 4000 on the kitchen counter. And they last forever. I've been lucky enough to find 'em for pennies on the dollar in thrift shops, but those days are passing, I'm afraid. I've reconditioned at least twenty old 3600's and passed them on over the years. When I phone Vita Mix for parts, they know my voice.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I have the K'Aid Pearl Metallic KPFP850PM 16-Cups Food Processor.

It's their top-of-the-line model, and it is really amazing! It really Gets the Job Done!!

Last edited:

gadzooks

OK. Is the drive shaft end on your VM the older, six point end or the newer twelve point end? If it is the old six point end, I will get the shaft conversion piece as well. You will have to put it on with the supplied tube of Loc-Tite. Easy little job. Or, oops, darn...this would be a second container, and they're both going to need the same set-up. If it is the old type, I'll see if I can get a six point kit. If twelve, easy. Let me know, please. Thanx.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Honey, I broke the food processor.

Hopefully, I won't have to buy another food processor ever again. The one that I have now sure looks like it'll be around for a long, long time to come!