Keltin's Random Cooking

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
gimme gimme gimme!

man that looks freakin' delicious, k!

btw, i was reading back about your semi-boneless ham posts.

there are starving people in jersey, you know. i can give you my, err, i mean their address.

no ham though.

what?

they said they like fried chicken.
Make sure you get my address right!! :brows:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ok, time to offload the pics from the camera from last night. Found a pic of the final plating for my fried chicken I made the other night. I meant to grab it the other night and forgot, but here it is now. Better late than never as they say.

Last night, I made enchiladas for dinner. Served Spanish Rice as the side. It’s actually my first time ever making enchiladas. Turned out well, and was fairly easy to do. I’ll be doing these again and experimenting with the “stuffing”. :thumb:

Attachments

• aen1.jpg
    aen1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 196
  • aen2.jpg
    aen2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 207
  • aen3.jpg
    aen3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 200
  • aen4.jpg
    aen4.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 197
  • aen5.jpg
    aen5.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 202
  • afc1.jpg
    afc1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 199

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Another typical day here, didn’t get home till 6:50 PM, but on my way home, I stopped at Publix and picked up some baby potatoes to make those fried potatoes Lee (Qsis) posted about.

http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18481

I was wrong about the price of these potatoes at Publix – they are $4.49 for 1.5 lbs.

Can’t wait to try these. To be continued……

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 195
  • bb2.jpg
    bb2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 209
  • bb3.jpg
    bb3.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 194
  • bb4.jpg
    bb4.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 197

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Keltin how did you get my plate? LOL

I like to make beef, bean and cheese enchiladas.

Yummy chicken and enchiladas.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
God, K, I could eat those little (cooked) potatoes like M & M's!

When you cook them, would you please post a copy of your results in my potato thread, too?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s the end of it. Spatchcocked Cornish hen, grilled with a Russian Dressing glaze, fresh green beans, and the recipe from Lee (Qsis) for Cuban Fried Baby Potatoes.

Turns out, I had some Sazon Goya in the spice rack! Lucky day! I think mine might be different from their’s since they had “with azafran” and mine was with (“con” in Spanish means “with”, "y" means and) other things. I think “Sazon Goya” might be a brand/product name?

Mine (the Sazon Goya spice pack) turned the batter a bright orange, and DW remarked it looked like cheese dip. :lol:

IMHO, the batter recipe, as written, is entirely too thin. I even added a little extra flour (just under a 1/4 cup) and it was still very thin. It was hard to get it to cling to the potatoes, and you had to sit over the hot grease rolling the potatoes in this mix and then hurriedly drop them in and hope enough batter stuck.

This led to a LOT of drippings and “crunchies” that formed as the very liquid batter rolled off my hands into the oil. But hey, I love crunchies!

The seasoning was a bit off. Even though that Sazon Goya turned everything a color, there wasn’t a lot of flavor. I’d suggest a good dose of salt (that you can do after they fry) and some pepper. Maybe some chile powder as well.

The batter, once it fried, was doughy like a pancake, and not crispy like fried chicken, so keep that in mind.

All in all, these were fun. I’ll make them again, but next time, I’ll use a very dry batter. Probably an egg & milk bath then onto a roll in flour for a dry and crispy crust instead of the soft and soggy dough crust this recipe produced. But, looking closely at the pics of the battered and fried potatoes in the original recipe, their crust and mine seem the same. I can tell their’s was doughy as well, so maybe that is part of it?

These potatoes really remind me of potato wedges. So if you’ve ever had battered potato wedges, then you pretty much know what these are about. Except these are cute, small, and round! :biggrin:

I’ve got about a half bag of these baby potatoes left, so I think I’ll fry them naked tomorrow and see what happens!

Attachments

• ach1.jpg
    ach1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 190
  • abb2.jpg
    abb2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 192
  • abb1.jpg
    abb1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 206
  • ach2.jpg
    ach2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 195
  • abb7.jpg
    abb7.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 193
  • abb5.jpg
    abb5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 204
  • abb4.jpg
    abb4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 198
  • abb3.jpg
    abb3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 201
  • ap1.jpg
    ap1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 189
  • ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 206
  • ap3.jpg
    ap3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 193
  • ach3.jpg
    ach3.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 187

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
We did surf-n-turf last night. Grilled Ribeyes, Tempura Fried Lobster Tails, Panko Breaded Fried Shrimp w/Sweet & Sour Sauce, Grilled Chicken Salad, and Garlic Bread.

The lobster meat I took out of the shell and then ran a bamboo skewer through it so that it wouldn’t curl when frying. The Tempura batter is the McCormick brand.

We had a leftover chicken breast that had to be cooked. Since the grill was fired up, I covered the breast in a GrillMates Applewood Rub and tossed it on with the steaks. I sliced the breast and used the meat as a salad topper.

Attachments

• s8.jpg
    s8.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 182
  • s7.jpg
    s7.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 167
  • s6.jpg
    s6.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 171
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 176
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 182
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 182
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 176
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 177

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks. Kinda neat little bowls huh? Plastic, and inexpensive, but they do the job well. DW got them at a thrift shop a while back. I like them for salad because when you look at it, you can't tell where the salad ends and the bowl begins! :lol:

Nancy-MD

That food looks awesome Keltin.

I was laughing to myself as I was reading your descriptions - surf, turf, and barnyard (the chicken)! Hahahaha!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Man, K, you sure do cook up a beautiful storm!

Thanks for posting all your great stuff!

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
That food looks awesome Keltin.

I was laughing to myself as I was reading your descriptions - surf, turf, and barnyard (the chicken)! Hahahaha!

:yum::yum::yum:

Man, K, you sure do cook up a beautiful storm!

Thanks for posting all your great stuff!

Lee

Thanks Lee. The tempura lobster I owe to you! That thread you started about tempura batter had me rummaging through the pantry and wanting to use the last bit of McCormick I had. Turned out well.

Although, honestly, I like lobster better naked and in butter & lemon. But it was good in the tempura. Not quite as good as shrimp (different texture & bite size), but still good. I'd do it again (it's not bad at all!), bit if I had my druthers, I'd go naked with simple butter & lemon.

Learning all the time! :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I did these ribs back on Memorial Day of 2011 of this year.

The old smoker had been sitting around since we moved to this house for a while, so I gave her a 4 hour cleaning and got her going again. She’s looking pretty rough (she is 6 or so years old now) but still works like a champ.

I started with a full slab of pork spare ribs, cut & trimmed them down to St. Louis style, then smoked for four hours using an Apple Wood Rub and Cherry Wood for smoke.

To monitor the temp, I put an oven thermometer on the grate and can watch it through the smoke vent in the top of the unit. I use the two slide controls on the firebox to control temp.

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 153
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 144
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 144
  • step4.jpg
    step4.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 150
  • step5.jpg
    step5.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 140
  • step6.jpg
    step6.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 144
  • step7.jpg
    step7.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 146
  • step8.jpg
    step8.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 143

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
....more pics.....

Attachments

• step9d.jpg
    step9d.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 136
  • step9g.jpg
    step9g.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 135
  • step9f.jpg
    step9f.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 132
  • step9e.jpg
    step9e.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 135
  • step9c.jpg
    step9c.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 139
  • step9b.jpg
    step9b.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 140
  • step9a.jpg
    step9a.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 140
  • step9.jpg
    step9.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 149
  • step9h.jpg
    step9h.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 141

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh my gosh, those ribs look SO perfect. Wish I could grab one right now (all I had for dinner was ice cream and peaches). Good job, amigo.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Those are some beautiful ribs, Keltin!

Do you apply any BBQ sauce while you are cooking, or do you just let the rub stand on it's own?

Lee

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Thanks everyone. Qsis, no, I didn't sauce those. That is just the rub and smoke on there. When smoking ribs, I rarely sauce them......can't remember the last time I did. If I do ribs in the oven though, I do sauce them since there is no smoke flavor in the oven. :biggrin:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
food looks delicious, keltin!
those taters, i found some similar awhile ago here,) a combo of various sorts in a bulk container, for merely $1.99/lb! suffice 2 say, i bought them.

Attachments

• IMG_0886154.jpg
    IMG_0886154.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 115

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
food looks delicious, keltin!
those taters, i found some similar awhile ago here,) a combo of various sorts in a bulk container, for merely $1.99/lb! suffice 2 say, i bought them.

Nice find luvs!!! Those little guys are great in roasts, battered & fried, green beans, and on, and on! Love 'em! Have you cooked your's yet? What did you do?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a few went bad so i trashed 'em. i'll be searching 4 them soon. i often get grade 'b' taters (they'll were $0.99/bulk, then the priced jumped drastically when apparantly the owners realized they were practically giving away redd potato of a way better quality than the others of the non-bulk sort)
i like 'lil taters boiled/chilled, then covered w/ some kinda oil - truffle being my preferrential 1, & a sprinkling of a finishing salt or kosher salt. they make great roasted potato, when halved. simply dressed w/ a vinagrette, or potaoto/onion. w/ roast; or hollowed & stuffed- i haven't thought of green beenz in years! yum. thx!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I can’t find this cut often, a “Beef Shoulder Filet”, but when I do, I always grab it (Publix had it today). It cooks up very tender and is LOADED with beef flavor. One of the more flavor beef cuts I’ve had. Very nice.

Odd thing is, even though it looks like a tenderloin in the pack, once you open it, it is typically 2-3 pieces of meat. That’s fine though. Grill ‘em up and slice them for serving. If you can find this cut, grab it and try it, you won’t be disappointed.

I made my shake-n-bake potatoes to go with this. Very easy to do, just cube the potatoes, put them in a bowl, add olive oil, spices, then cover and shake to coat. I heated a CI skillet on the stove top and poured the potatoes into it to get them started and then put the CI into a 425 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

Recipe is here, although tonight I used Curry Powder, Smoked Paprika, Garlic Powder, Italian Seasoning, Salt, Pepper, and Olive Oil.

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1902

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 156
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 145
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 151
  • step4.jpg