Around the World - First stop - GERMANY

cara

the Spaetzle recipe I got from my sister from the suebian Alb just says 100g flour, one egg and a inch of salt per persons and then add water until you get a smooth batter.
Not so easy to get the right texture.
Grate spaetzle dough over boiling water:
place a small amount of the batter on a cutting board and grate as shown here:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y[/ame]

llooll.gif

cara

so, I finally managed to translate this goose recipe - or at least I hope I managed :D

german goose roast
1 goose
2 apples
2 pears
300g mixed dried fruits, e.g. prunes, figs, apples, dates, raisins, peaches etc
Salt
pepper
100 ml Calvados
200 ml applejuice
water

soak the dried fruits with Calvados and applejuice for at least three hours.
peel apples and pears and cut into quarters.
rub the inside of the goose with salt and pepper
mix the soaked fruits with the giblets (?) of the goose, stuff the bird and stitch it.
place the goose with breast down on drip pan in lower section of a cold oven.
Turn on at 160°C/320°F.

After 45min remove fat from pan and add a cup of water, do this about every hour for about three times.
Collect the fat/water and place at very cold (fridge etc).
After three hours turn the goose on its back and roast for another 1,5h.
shortly before the goose is ready you may brush with ice-cold water, it gives the skin a shiny crusty note.

After 5h the goose should be brown all around, if not raise the temperature to 250°C/480°C and keep the oven door slightly open.

Meanwhile take the roastjuice out of the cold an place in casserole, heat and thicken with flourbutter or cornstarch, taste as you like.

I have to admit, I don't like goose so much, it's too fat for me - and if I want to eat I visit the restaurant, at thus time of the year you get the goose roast almost everywhere.

cara

and one of my favourite red cabbage recipes to go with the goose:

heat lard in pot, add and saute finely chopped onions, apple and some sugar.
Add the cut cabbage and fill with red wine and apple juice.
season with salt, cinnamon and clove.
To add a fruity taste add preserved cranberries or likely.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Thanks for the video, Cara - I tried to do it that way, but just didn't have the technique down! That flat board looks like something my mother had, but the important thing is the wrist action, isn't it? I think I'll have to look for a small cutting board with a handle like that, and practice.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Tonight was Sauerbraten & Spatzle night - along with the leftover Rotkraut.

I used Leni's recipe for sauerbraten. It was unlike anything I had ever eaten. It wasn't too sour; it was more complex that I had imagined. It might be an acquired taste. We also thought it seemed dry. I was sure to keep the braise below a simmer, so I'm not sure why it seemed dry. The gravy helped.

The spatzle was fun, messy, and good. I used Karen's method with the grater, Then browned it up a bit with butter in a skillet. It was a good foil for the sourness of the meat.

The cabbage was leftover from yesterday, and reheated nicely.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 217

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, you guys have done magnificent jobs with this!

All of your stuff looks luscious! I'm very impressed with all the spaetzle (sp?) results!

Great job!

I'm making my sorta "German" dinner tomorrow.

Lee

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I can't wait to see it, Q.

Tomorrow I want to make the potato pancakes. I have leftover meat from today and yesterday, so I'll serve up one of those with the pancakes.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Your meal looks really tasty, SS! Nice presentation. The meat looks very good...my mother made sauerbraten only once. I remember waiting days for it, and we all had great expectations...but my dad was the only one who really really liked it. Of course, she may not have done it right, I don't know. It tasted pretty sour to me. My mom used to serve spaetzle like Peeps did - with green beans, Yours looks great, Peeps. And I agree with SS that making it is really fun. I'll do it more often, as an alternative to potatoes, rice or pasta. Fried in some butter, it is really good. I am looking forward to making some bierochs, which are alot like Russian runza, that I made a few months ago. We love portable food.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Peeps, pork, potatoes & sauerkraut all in one - that's really tying the strong German standards together. Nice going.

Karen, I had to google bierochs. They look interesting. "Portable food" - almost every culture seems to have one. Please share the recipe for those when you make them.

Peeps, like I mentioned, my sauerbraten really wasn't too sour (I don't think), but I've never eaten it before so I don't have anything to compare it to. I expected sour, yet I still found it a little unsettling. This is one of the wonderful reasons for exploring the cooking of other cultures. In our American kitchens, if you smell a sourness in meat, it is usually an indicator of spoilage. We then discard it. But in German cooking, they intentionally introduce a sourness to the meat. Being unused to it, each bite caused me to really think about it not being spoiled. It was just different. I think I'd like to try the dish made by someone who really knows what they're doing. Then I would be better able to decide if I liked it or not.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We are going to my SIL's for Christmas Eve, and she is having a German theme for the food this year in honor of her DIL who is from Germany. I have been asked to bring the "Brot" (surprise, surprise) in the form of different types of rolls for sammies and food pushing, so I'll be doing them later in the week. Waiting to hear from my nephew's frau as to any special requests from her upbringing in Germany. Watch this space!:chef:

FWIW, the Polish Sourdough Rye that I make, is also made by the Germans and the Poles and the Hungarians. I guess there's not too much that is unique in Europe.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Joe, please take pictures! It would be extra nice if you could describe the dishes, the flavors, and what appealed to you or what didn't.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Peeps, pork, potatoes & sauerkraut all in one - that's really tying the strong German standards together. Nice going.

Karen, I had to google bierochs. They look interesting. "Portable food" - almost every culture seems to have one. Please share the recipe for those when you make them.

Peeps, like I mentioned, my sauerbraten really wasn't too sour (I don't think), but I've never eaten it before so I don't have anything to compare it to. I expected sour, yet I still found it a little unsettling. This is one of the wonderful reasons for exploring the cooking of other cultures. In our American kitchens, if you smell a sourness in meat, it is usually an indicator of spoilage. We then discard it. But in German cooking, they intentionally introduce a sourness to the meat. Being unused to it, each bite caused me to really think about it not being spoiled. It was just different. I think I'd like to try the dish made by someone who really knows what they're doing. Then I would be better able to decide if I liked it or not.
Thank you SS. The chops pan fried then are simmered in the kraut, potatoes, onions, caraway & fennel seeds (I like both flavors so I use both) and pork gravy till tender.

cara

Thanks for the video, Cara - I tried to do it that way, but just didn't have the technique down! That flat board looks like something my mother had, but the important thing is the wrist action, isn't it? I think I'll have to look for a small cutting board with a handle like that, and practice.

Karen,
I can't do it that fast either - Frank & I watched the video and had great fun, that woman is talking with a very strong Alb-Accent :lol:

for the board:
don't you have a simple cutting board? That's just what she uses.. and a knife

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
There are a few different ways to make spaetzle aside form the cutting board method. If you have a potato ricer you can use that or just a plain colander with holes in the bottom. Here are a couple YouTube vids I found to show how easy it is. Here is the plate method;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8brHIfPrnE&feature=related[/ame]

Here is with a commercial spaetzle maker;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwcU80lKkzQ&feature=related[/ame]

For the colander method just put a spoonful of dough in the bottom of the colander and force it through the holes with a spoon or a spatula. There are dozens of YouTube videos showing how to make spaetzle.

Leni

SS the problem may be your marinade dish. It left a lot of the veggies out of the liquid. I do mine in a large ziploc or a bowl where everything is submerged.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Well, you folks inspired me to replace potatoes with spaetzle with my pot roast dinner. I used the back of a grater like Karen did.

P1030021.jpg

Gave them literally seconds in the water before pulling them out so they don't get tough.

P1030022.jpg

Then they were given an ice water bath to stop the cooking.

P1030023.jpg

drizzled a bit of EVOO to prevent sticking then put them in the fridge before finishing them in the frying pan just to warm them up.

P1030024.jpg

I then took some for myself and tossed them in caramelized onions and bacon.

P1030029.jpg

Here was dinner, which was also posted in the dinner thread.

P1030031.jpg

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Spaetzle is made from the same recipe as pasta, and can be made many different ways to meet the requirements of a starch with your meal. i saw a YouTube video using spaetzle in place of commercial pasta when making homemade Mac-n-Cheese. It starts at about the 3:30 point.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv4wDmd6L60&feature=related[/ame]

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Well, I planned and shopped in order to make weinerschnitzle - breaded and fried veal cutlets.

Came home and Googled recipes, and in so doing, discovered that weinerschnitzle is really an Austrian dish!

Well, at some time in history, Austria and Germany's borders probably shifted and overlapped, so here's my entry! ;)

Weinerschnitzle, the ubiquitous red cabbage and American garlic mashed potatoes! It was DELICIOUS!!

And with the leftovers, I can make Italian Veal Parm!! :bounce:

Lee

Attachments

• Weinerschnitzle and red cabbage.JPG
    Weinerschnitzle and red cabbage.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 234

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Lee, it looks great!

What cut of veal did you use? I have trouble finding decent veal here.

What did you use for that gravy?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
SS, QBro bought a package of veal cutlets. They were nicely cut already, but I pounded them a little thinner, just to have a little fun POUNDING! LOL!

I drained all the oil from the frying pan, and leaving some browned bits (mostly of bread crumbs), added butter, Wondra and chicken broth, then seasoned. It was passable gravy.

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
>>weinerschnitzle is really an Austrian dish!

if you're wanting to go to Vienna, Austria,,,, follow the signs to "Wien" - that's the German name for Vienna hence the Wien(er)-schnitzel moniker - it's thought to have originated there - bu that's "up for grabs" as well - it certainly got "popularized" in Wien....

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I still didn't get to those potato pancakes. Instead we had brats & German potato salad. Sorry, I ran out of batteries for the camera, but here's the recipe and an older pic of the potatoes.

German Potato Salad

Cook about 2 pounds of small red potatoes. Don't overcook them - they'll crumble into a mess later if you do. Slice them neatly, about 1/4 inch thick. Some people like to cut them in cubes instead of slices. Set aside

Slowly cook 4 slices of bacon to render out the fat. Remove bacon, crumble it, and set it aside.

Chop about 1/4 cup parsley. Set aside.

In the bacon grease, sweat 1-2 T of chopped onion. Add about 1 1/2 T of flour, and cook for a minute or 2. (Don't let the onion or flour actually brown).

Stir in:
1/3 cup vinegar (I like apple cider, but white will do)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1-2 tsp salt (taste it!)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Coleman's dry mustard
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp crumbled rosemary leaves

Cook until lightly thickened.

Pour the dressing over the potatoes, toss in bacon and parsley. Toss gently - you don't want to break up the potatoes too much.

Attachments

• german potato salad.jpg
    german potato salad.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 352

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
SS, are those new potatoes in your salad? We love those when we can get them. My wife make this dish with new redskins when available. One of the unique things about German potato salad is that it's equally delicious hot or cold. When we have leftovers, I'll eat it like any other potato salad with a sandwich (I'm a carb lover) at lunch time.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lovely, SS!!

Almost has enough bacon in there to make ME happy!!

Nice job!

Lee

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Your weinerschnitzel looks perfect, Lee! The German restaurant here (owned and operated by people from Germany) serves weinerschnitzel, so I think you are probably OK as far as authenticity goes. My German grandma's signature dish was golabki (stuffed cabbage), and it turns out that she was actually probably Polish, but the borders in Europe have shifted so much over time that the cultural heritage is mixed. That's what makes this whole exercise so interesting!

Wow, SS, that potato salad looks really delicious. Not sure I can convince my very traditional husband to eat potato salad that does not include mayo, but I can almost taste the wonderful tangy sweet and sour flavor of this dish from your great picture. Thanks for posting the recipe.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Actually, in that pic (an old one) I used fingerling potatoes. Their long thin shape gave me perfect little discs of potato.

I live the sweet/sour flavors in German potato salad soooo much better than American style with mayonnaise or French style with a vinaigrette.

My mother, the Queen of Convenience Cooking, was half German. As a kid, I can remember canned Reese's German Potato Salad. We grew up on it. It was only a couple years ago that I tried making it from scratch and learned how much better it was. And easy!