Lebanese Kibbee (spiced ground beef or lamb with bulghur)

GotGarlic

Kibbee Patties (spiced ground beef or lamb with bulghur)

This is a variation of Lebanon's national dish. The traditional way to make kibbee is to make the meat mixture shown below, then make another meat mixture to use as a filling; then the kibbee is baked or fried. I skipped the filling and grilled them instead. You have to be very careful when grilling these; the bulghur wheat makes them very fragile. But it works!

1 cup finely ground bulghur wheat
1/2 medium onion
3/4 tsp. kibbee spice (see below)
2-1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. finely ground beef or lamb
2 rounds of pita bread
tzatziki sauce (cucumber/yogurt sauce)

Kibbee Spice
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground allspice
1 tbsp. crushed dried mint
1-1/2 tsp. ground black pepper

Combine thoroughly in a small bowl; transfer to a spice bottle and keep in a cool, dry place.

For Kibbee

Rinse the bulghur wheat in cold water twice and drain. Cover by half an inch with fresh water and let soak. Finely mince the onion in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and add the kibbee spice and salt; combine thoroughly. Add the ground meat to the bowl and mix completely by hand.

Squeeze excess water from the bulghur wheat and add to the meat mixture. Mix by hand until well blended. Add ice water if necessary, to maintain a soft consistency.

Form meat into eight 3-inch patties, and press in the center with your thumb to form a dimple. Grill 3-4 minutes on both sides until cooked through.

To serve: Serve kibbee patties over tzatziki sauce or in pita pockets. To serve in pita pockets, briefly grill pita rounds to warm a bit; cut in half. Put a few tablespoons of tzatziki sauce in each pita half and place two kibbee patties on top of sauce.

Attachments

• kibbee.jpg
    kibbee.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 339

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Actually, when I was a little girl, I was at my parent's friends house and we ate kibbee raw and it was amazing! My mom was surprised that her fussy eater loved it!

GotGarlic

Actually, when I was a little girl, I was at my parent's friends house and we ate kibbee raw and it was amazing! My mom was surprised that her fussy eater loved it!

Yeah, the first serving idea in the cookbook is serving it raw drizzled with olive oil, topped with yogurt, with pita chips. I'm not going to risk eating raw ground beef, but if anyone else wants to, it's your tummy.