Do you have a Kitchen Aide?

Archdean

"It would be nice if more of this modern stuff was built to last."

Jim, a wishful statement and is the main reason I would much rather repair things like this then buy the latest and greatest cheap Wiz bangs!!

waybomb, GF the :chef:thinks your flames are terrfic but on second thought the Jolly Roger should be on hers!!:hide:

images.jpg

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
"It would be nice if more of this modern stuff was built to last."

Jim, a wishful statement and is the main reason I would much rather repair things like this then buy the latest and greatest cheap Wiz bangs!!

The only thing modern manufacturers have down pat is making sure the product lasts through the warranty period. The day after it expires all bets are off. :hammer:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sad but true Jim.

Funny they offer all kinds of colors for these things. Adding flames to it is downright funny. :yum: Good one Fred. Is that yours? :D
To get a Kitchen Aid in white it would have cost me 86 bucks extra. I was able to get the "Liquorice" for $299. All the rest were 386 includeing white. Go figure. :pat:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Almost 23 years and my K'Aid K45SS Stand Mixer still going just as strong as ever!!

I like it so much that I bought the slightly larger K-5SS!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Wow...this is an old thread! I have the Kitchen Aide Epicurean 6-qt. 475 Watt that I have had for about 15 years and use on a pretty regular basis. Never had any problems. Does everything I ask it to do.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Yeah, but I didn't want to start another one when two old ones are already here.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I have a 600 Pro and I love, love, love it! I have had no problems with it and I use it a lot. Mine is meringue (white), which was the color on sale at the time, but I would have been thrilled with any color!

FryBoy

I have a 600 Pro and I love, love, love it! I have had no problems with it and I use it a lot. Mine is meringue (white), which was the color on sale at the time, but I would have been thrilled with any color!
I have the same model, only mine is Pearl Metallic. I wasn't crazy about the color at first (although I've come to like it), but it was all Macy's had in stock, and they made a mistake in their ad, which said it was $99.99, so I wasn't about to squawk. Not only did they honor the price, but they gave me another 10% off on a "Friends & Family" deal AND I got a $50 rebate from Kitchenaid. Bottom-line cost was a bit under $50, including tax.

Anyway, it's been great, especially with the BeaterBlade+ and the smaller Combi Bowl & Whip.

41DIg1E7JjL._SS500_.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have the same model, only mine is Pearl Metallic. I wasn't crazy about the color at first (although I've come to like it), but it was all Macy's had in stock, and they made a mistake in their ad, which said it was $99.99, so I wasn't about to squawk. Not only did they honor the price, but they gave me another 10% off on a "Friends & Family" deal AND I got a $50 rebate from Kitchenaid. Bottom-line cost was a bit under $50, including tax.

Anyway, it's been great, especially with the BeaterBlade+ and the smaller Combi Bowl & Whip.

41DIg1E7JjL._SS500_.jpg

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::thumb: What a deal!!!!!!!!!!!!

GotGarlic

The sisters brought it up in particular when the potatoes needed mashed and we just have the standard old mixer. :hide:

I don't use a mixer for mashed potatoes anyway - it's too easy to overmix them and end up with gluey potatoes. That's what guests who offer to help are for :tongue:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
That's the best deal I've ever heard of, Doug! It must make it even more pleasurable every time you use it!

gadzooks

Had one. A nice old K45, gifted to me. I passed it on, after walking into my favorite local thrift shop and fining a Hobart N50 for $7.

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I have a large, older Sunbean mixer.

I hear the best potatoes are riced, not mashed in a mixer or food processor.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I have a ricer and a masher. It just depends upon whether or not you like lumps in your potatoes. A ricer will get rid of all the lumps.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have a kitchen aid mixer--a must for anyone who bakes and a cuisinart food processor. I use it too to bake at times.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I have a 14cup KA Food Processor, love the thing to death! Even got the accessory package including the juicer.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I've had my KA for about 30 years. At the time it only came in white and almond. With all the great colors and various models out now, I'd love to get a new one to match my kitchen, but since mine still works as well as it did when I got it, I just can't seem to justify a new one.

The older ones were made by Hobart, and they just don't die.

Shermie

Site Supporter
I've had my KA for about 30 years. At the time it only came in white and almond. With all the great colors and various models out now, I'd love to get a new one to match my kitchen, but since mine still works as well as it did when I got it, I just can't seem to justify a new one.

The older ones were made by Hobart, and they just don't die.

My K-45SS is also Hobart-made. :clap:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I don't use a mixer for mashed potatoes anyway - it's too easy to overmix them and end up with gluey potatoes. That's what guests who offer to help are for :tongue:

I am guessing you use a potato masher then? I have two, a coarse one and a fine one. I like to use them to make my homemade mashed potatoes. It always leaves just the right amount of lumps in it.
And I like to leave just a bit of the skins on em as well.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
You're right about this, GG. It's really easy to end up with gluey potatoes (but I take my chances anyway, usually.:blush:)

Shermie

Site Supporter
Usually, if you let the potatoes get even luke warm, that is when they'll get gooey or gluey.

Whipping them white they are still piping hot is key, I think.

If I like them kind of lumpy, I will use the potato masher. For really smooth, I use the ricer.

GotGarlic

I am guessing you use a potato masher then? I have two, a coarse one and a fine one. I like to use them to make my homemade mashed potatoes. It always leaves just the right amount of lumps in it.
And I like to leave just a bit of the skins on em as well.

Yes, Mav, I have a masher. I used to do them in the food processor, but once I found out that mixing too vigorously causes the starch granules to break and spill out, I stopped doing that.

FM, probably because I'm usually cooking for two (although I make enough for four, for the leftovers), and because I have a relatively small food processor, it works better for me to just mash the potatoes in the pot, rather than move them to the food processor or get out the mixer.

Sherman, I haven't seen anything that says the temperature of the potatoes has anything to do with it. It's just that breaking open the starch granules releases the starch, which causes the gluey texture.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Before any of us left the nest and when most of us were teens, my sisters used to take turn making supper, and somtimes make mashed potatoes for supper.

They wouls wait too lomg to mash them, and by the time that they did, the potatoes were all gluey. Mom & Pop used to yell at them and say;

"Don't you know that you're supposed to mash the potatoes while they're hot and right after you drain of the hot water? That keep them from getting gluey!!"

But I DO always mash them in the pot right after the boiling water is poured off.

homecook

I've always used a hand masher. We (mom, grandma) never used anything else. My sil used a hand mixer and she ALWAYS had gluey mashed potatoes.

And to keep on topic........I don't have a KA.

Shermie

Site Supporter
You should think about investing in one though.

It'll pay for itself in practically no time, and you'll start to reap the benefits tenfold when you've made those luscious breads, cakes and quick breads!

You'll be wondering how you ever got along without it!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
[SIZE=-1]From- What's Cooking America site[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
Gluey or gooey mashed potatoes are caused by vigorous over mashing, as anyone who has tried to make the side dish in a food processor can attest. When potatoes are boiled, their starch granules swell. If those granules are broken too vigorously, the cells release copious quantities of starch, resulting in a potatoes with the consistency of wallpaper paste. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NEVER use a blender or food processor to make mashed potatoes. There are starch packets inside the potato cells and the blender blades rip right through them, releasing the starch and this makes the potatoes into library paste. The cells of the potato flesh contain a very fine starch. Mashing gently leaves most of the cells intact. Processing in a blender or a Food Processor acts like a cell homogenizer and releases all that starch into the liquid. Adding any liquid early just makes the process more efficient.[/SIZE]

All this should be done as quickly as possible so the potatoes never have a chance to get cold - that is the secret of delicious mashed potatoes! :flowers:
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Shermie

Site Supporter
[SIZE=-1]From- What's Cooking America site[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Gluey or gooey mashed potatoes are caused by vigorous over mashing, as anyone who has tried to make the side dish in a food processor can attest. When potatoes are boiled, their starch granules swell. If those granules are broken too vigorously, the cells release copious quantities of starch, resulting in a potatoes with the consistency of wallpaper paste. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]NEVER use a blender or food processor to make mashed potatoes. There are starch packets inside the potato cells and the blender blades rip right through them, releasing the starch and this makes the potatoes into library paste. The cells of the potato flesh contain a very fine starch. Mashing gently leaves most of the cells intact. Processing in a blender or a Food Processor acts like a cell homogenizer and releases all that starch into the liquid. Adding any liquid early just makes the process more efficient.[/SIZE]

All this should be done as quickly as possible so the potatoes never have a chance to get cold - that is the secret of delicious mashed potatoes! :flowers:

Thank you, Mama, for clearing that up!!

And I THOUGHT that never letting the potatoes get cold played an important role. Also, the butter has to melt in order to blend it in rather quickly. :smile:

homecook

You should think about investing in one though.

It'll pay for itself in practically no time, and you'll start to reap the benefits tenfold when you've made those luscious breads, cakes and quick breads!

You'll be wondering how you ever got along without it!

Since I started baking bread it is now on my "Wish List".