Finnish Honey Mead

Saliha

4 liters of water
450 g of honey
2 lemons
a pinch of yeast

Boil half of the water and pour it on top of the honey. Add the remaining water and the juice of lemons. Add the yeast in lukewarm mixture, about 1/5 teaspoon. Let it ferment at room temperature until the following day. Strain and pour mead into bottles. Add a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle.

Mead completed in a cool place for about a week, at room temperature for about three days.

Note: The pressure in the bottle increases when fermentation continues, so do not use too tight cap. Keep the mead in a cool and use within about a week.

Source: http://www.hunaja.net/resepteja/juomat/hunajasima/

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Had mead once in Ireland - sweet, sweet!

Saliha, the pastry squares pictured in the link look good - are they honey? Lemon?

Lee

Saliha

Those squares are comb honey.

If you mean this:

Kennohunajaa.jpeg

We usually make mead with sugar or brown sugar, but honey mead is tasty too. At the summetime I also add some leaves of blackcurrant to give more flavor to mead.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ah, honeycomb!

I thought they were a baked good, like lemon squares.

Thanks, Saliha!

Lee

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
honey in the comb is a bit tricky to find anymore. years back it was no problem - we had several orchards (with hives) in the area and we could buy comb honey by the pound. bring your own jar, they'd cut the comb right out of the frame.

anymore I buy a couple chunks at country fairs - everything in stores is pasteurized. I wonder if it would even ferment.... we do have a couple local residences with honey set out for sale.

Johnny West

We got some good local honey in Canada and will try a batch this next weekend. Adding yeast should make the pasturized honey ferment.