Too many canned pears

Peggy

Recently someone gave a lot of canned pears. Any suggestions on what to do with them? I'm really not much of a pear fan, neither is my son. If I can't come up with something, going to give them to someone else! Thanks!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'd make this! I'm sure canned pears would work fine.

pear-crisp-ck-344091-l.jpg

• 6 cups Anjou or Bartlett pears, cored and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 3 pounds)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/3 cup regular oats
  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Preparation
  • Preheat oven to 375°.
  • Combine pears and lemon juice in a 2-quart baking dish; toss gently to coat. Combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon; stir with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to pear mixture; toss well to coat.
  • Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, brown sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add chilled butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add oats and walnuts; pulse 2 times. Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over pear mixture.
  • Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until pears are tender and topping is golden brown. Cool 20 minutes on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe from: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/harvest-pear-crisp-10000000344091/

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
use pureed pear instead of applesauce to replace some of the fat in baked goodies

a chunky apple-pear puree w/ cinnamon & sugar.

they would be great in cooked cereals

u could give them to someone w/ an infant if they're not packed in syrup so they can make babyfood

maybe give to a food pantry

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love canned pear halves filled with cottage cheese. But, I may be the only one who does.

And how many of those can one eat? LOL!

Lee

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Nope, Lee, you're not the only one! I love pears with cottage cheese as well as peaches with cottage cheese.

Mr. Green Jeans

I echo Lee's comment on cottage cheese. If they are halves, place a tablespoon of mincemeat in the pocket and put under a broiler for about 5 minutes.

Carolina Cooking

I like pears. i don't know about canned tho. I buy fresh.

I stuff boneless chicken breast with a hunk of brie & pear's.

Pork chops or loin or country ribs with kraut & pears, instead of apples.

Over pancakes & waffles. Saute'd first with brown sugar.

upside down cake.

Over ice cream..

BTW a smoothie . :yuk: don't bother lol.