Your best roast beef recipe, please?

buckytom

Grill Master
my friend omega boy (who joined here a few weeks ago, and even with multiple certs like master cne, ccna, mcse, and others, doesn't seem to be able to log in...) asked me for a good roast beast recipe.

i usually make a simple rub, then roast the thing on a rack over oiled spuds and veggies at 400, until a probe thermometer jammed into the center reaches 130. rest for 15 minutes, then slice.

i've been thinking about setting up the rotisserie on my grill and trying that way soon.

but, what is everyone's favourite recipe or technique for a delicious roast beef?

chowhound

My favorite way would be however my father cooks it. Sometimes in the oven, sometimes on an electric rotisserie. I don't think he goes crazy with the seasoning, but oh man.... are they tasty with beautiful color. BTW, these are rib roasts I'm talking about. I think he has the butcher tie on the bones. Maybe I'll give him a call and see if he remembers how he cooks them.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Like my friend Roxanne makes it, pot roast with garlic,red wine a lot of sliced onions on top and sprinkled with thyme.

buckytom

Grill Master
that sounds good, sass. i love a good pot roast braised in vino. also a fan of thyme with roasts.

but omega boy and i are looking for a rare roast beast. ya know, as can be had sliced thicker for dinner, then thinly the next day for sammiches.

Love2"Q"

probably not surprising but ..
i season them as i would a steak and sear on a hot grill
then cook indirect in a foil pan with a touch of beef broth
till desired doneness ..
i am going to try an italian beef this way
next weekend on the smoker ..

smoke king

Banned
I'm with you BT. I like a nice bottom round on the grille or in the smoker until 130 deg, then slice it thin and pile it high for sammies.

I have a rotisserie, but every time I use it I end up wishing I hadn't. I should probably get a better one. Also, I don't know if this qualifies as a "recipe", but when I was younger and didn't have a lot of groceries, I put a roast in my crock pot. Not having a lot to add to it, I chunked up a Keilbasa and threw it in as well. I do that all the time now, and I don't know which one I like better, the roast or the sausage!

Lefty

Yank
I think basic is better.

8 slivers of garlic
salt pepper olive oil

make 8 slits in Boneless Rump Roast
insert garlic
drizzle a little oil over Boneless Rump Roast
rub with salt and pepper
375 first 1/2 hour
225 for about 3 hours or until internal temp is 130
rest it 20 minutes serve

buckytom

Grill Master
q, whaddya mean by "indirect on a foil pan"? do you mean on the grill? foil pan? at what temp? sounds eenterestink.

i think this will be a future attempt, using my new bobby flay brand smoker box. available at kmart.

you owe me, bobby. :cool:

sk, that sounds curiously good. i think i'd have the same dilemma. i did something like that using pork chops, peppers, and pepperoni a while ago. looks like vomit, but tastes really good.

as far as the rotisserie goes, the one that came with my grill is ac powered, so i have to run a long extension cord out to my grill situated at the back corner of my property. dad was a fireman, so i'm anal about heat sources. i'm hoping the torque is sufficient... on the motor. not my butt.

my eldest sis, (the one who helped my mom care for me in my infancy, who happens to have cancer, mama :glare:) makes a great kielbasa in the crock pot.

it's weird but good. just a browned kielbasa, chunked up and put in the crock pot with duck sauce, and a pinch of hot pepper flakes.

thanks, lefty. i like the garlic and evoo thing. and thanks for the time and temp specifics.

ok, so, i think some trials are in order. rotisseried, grilled/finished indirectly, and oven roasted.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I think basic is better.

8 slivers of garlic
salt pepper olive oil

make 8 slits in Boneless Rump Roast
insert garlic
drizzle a little oil over Boneless Rump Roast
rub with salt and pepper
375 first 1/2 hour
225 for about 3 hours or until internal temp is 130
rest it 20 minutes serve

I do it pretty much like Lefty does and really like it basic myself. I've never counted the slits though but 8 to 10 sounds about right to me as well. I usually figure about 20 minutes per pound at about 350 average temp but always use an oven thermometer till the same of 130 then rest it also about 20 to 30 minutes. I have a Waring Pro slicer that I love to cut it on so I get really good sandwich slices.

chowhound

BT, Q means to set the roast in a foil roasting pan like you see in the grocery store aisle (easier cleanup just to throw out the pan), then set it in your grill NOT over a burner..... indirect heat it's called, like beer can chickens are cooked. Or if your grill is charcoal, move the coals to the outside of the grill and set the roast in the middle, or you could also pile them to one side and set the roast over the other side.
Can't help ya on the temp, but I would assume oven type temps.

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks, josie.

i'm thinking of looking around for a slicer, on ebay, bonanzle, le gourmet chef, and such. can you recommend any brands or models, besides yours?

i'm not sure though. a slicer would be nice to go with my barely used dehydrator. but i keep having that seinfeld episode with the slicer pop into my head, and my wife is cutting down a pair if shoes. :bonk:

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks chow. i assumed as much, about indirectly on the grill. i never thought of using a foil tray like you might use with a lasagna or baked ziti.

good stuff.

Love2"Q"

q, whaddya mean by "indirect on a foil pan"? do you mean on the grill? foil pan? at what temp? sounds eenterestink.

i think this will be a future attempt, using my new bobby flay brand smoker box. available at kmart.

you owe me, bobby. :cool:

i mean i pull it off of the direct flame and use the grill as an oven ...
put it to the cooler side of the grill ...
chow explained it much better than me ...
and i try to stay around 350 for the beast ..

joec

Gold Site Supporter
thanks, josie.

i'm thinking of looking around for a slicer, on ebay, bonanzle, le gourmet chef, and such. can you recommend any brands or models, besides yours?

i'm not sure though. a slicer would be nice to go with my barely used dehydrator. but i keep having that seinfeld episode with the slicer pop into my head, and my wife is cutting down a pair if shoes. :bonk:

This is the only one I've owned and was about $100 when I bought it. My main thing when I purchased it was it to be easy to clean and safe that my wife didn't cut off her fingers when using it. I also wanted it to slice in various widths which it does from 1/32 inch to 1/2 inch slices. Even Home Depot carries them and parts are easy to get as well. You might find a used one on ebay or Craig's list but like I said this is the only one I've ever owned. Oh and I've had it about 8 years now and use it a lot since I by bologna, salami, boiled ham etc in bulk packs the same as the deli do.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a couple of the Krups coffee grinders and love them for grinding spices as well as coffee.

Mr. Green Jeans

For a Dutch Oven indoors or out:

Approx 3# roast or London Broil
1 12 oz. bottle of Chili Sauce
3/4 cup DARK brown sugar
1 large sweet onion sliced (here in the PNW we favor Walla Walla sweets)
1/4 cup white wine
3 whole cloves
2 bay leaves

Whisk together the chilisauce, wine, spices and sugar. Heat the DO add 1 -2 tbsp olive oil season the meat with S&P then sear on both sides. Add onions and cover with sauce. Bake @ 300 for 3 hours.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm going to try that next time I make a London Broil MGJ. It sounds pretty good to me.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, well if you are going with prime rib or beef tenderloin, then Joy of Cooking's technique, cooked to 125-130, can't be beat.

beeftenderloinpw6.jpg

However, if you are using a cheaper cut of meat, America's Test Kitchen's method is phenomenal! I've done it twice with a blade roast and it's kinda miraculous!

Lee

ATK’s Slow-Roasted Beef with Red Wine Pan Juices

If you have time, refrigerate the roast on a wire rack and set over a paper towel-covered plate for four days. This aging process delivers and tender, more flavorful roast. Make sure, however, that before roasting, you trim off the parts of the roast that have dehydrated and turned leathery. Tying the roast makes it compact and evenly shaped.

1 boneless beef roast, 3 to 4 pounds, and tied crosswise and lengthwise (blade roast, suggested)
Salt and ground pepper
2 T olive oil
1/3 cup red wine
1 cup low sodium chicken or beef broth

• Heat oven to 250. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium -high heat in Dutch oven or large, heavy, oven-proof pot. Add roast and sear until brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
  • Transfer pot to oven and cook, uncovered, until meat thermometer registers 110, 45 minutes to an hour. Increase oven temp to 500 degrees and cook until internal temp reaches 130 degrees, about 15 minutes longer (cooking time will vary). Remove roast from pot and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
  • Meanwhile, set pot over medium-high heat; spoon all but 1 T fat from pot. Add wine, stirring pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen brown bits; simmer until wine reduces to a glaze, about 2 minutes. Add broth; simmer until sauce reduces and thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes longer. (For pan juices with a little extra body, juices can be thickened with 1 teas cornstarch dissolved in 1 T water).
  • Cut roast into thin slices, adding meat juices to pan juices. Pass sauce separately.
bladeroastslicedjj4.jpg

Last edited:

what cha got

John's favorite roast is the Eye of Round.
What I do is preheat the oven to 450.
Some times I put a clove of garlic in the middle of the roast.
place the roast in a pan fat side up DO NOT ADD Water.
cook for about 20 minutes per pound.
Wonderful for a special meal, and the left overs make great cold sandwiches, or hot roast beef with gravy sandwiches.

:heart:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Okay, well if you are going with prime rib or beef tenderloin, then Joy of Cooking's technique, cooked to 125-130, can't be beat.

beeftenderloinpw6.jpg

However, if you are using a cheaper cut of meat, America's Test Kitchen's method is phenomenal! I've done it twice with a blade roast and it's kinda miraculous!

Lee

ATK’s Slow-Roasted Beef with Red Wine Pan Juices

If you have time, refrigerate the roast on a wire rack and set over a paper towel-covered plate for four days. This aging process delivers and tender, more flavorful roast. Make sure, however, that before roasting, you tril off the parts of the roast that have dehydrated and turned leathery. Tying the roast makes it compact and evenly shaped.

1 boneless beef roast, 3 to 4 pounds, and tied crosswise and lengthwise (blade roast, suggested)
Salt and ground pepper
2 T olive oil
1/3 cup red wine
1 cup low sodium chicken or beef broth

• Heat oven to 250. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil over medium -high heat in Dutch oven or large, heavy, oven-proof pot. Add roast and sear until brown, about 4 minutes on each side.
  • Transfer pot to voen and cook, uncovered, until meat thermometer registers 110, 45 minutes to an hour. Increase oven temp to 500 degrees and cook until internal temp reaches 130 degrees, about 15 minutes longer (cooking time with vary). Remove roast from pot and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
  • Meanwhile, set pot over medium-high heat; spoon all but 1 T fat from pot. Add wine, stirring pan bottom with wooden spoon to loosen brown bits; simmer until wine reduces to a glaze, about 2 minutes. Add broth; simmer until sauce reduces and thickens slightly, 1 to 2 minutes longer. (For pan juices with a little extra body, juices can be thickened with 1 teas cornstarch dissolved in 1 T water).
  • Cut roast into thin slices, adding meat juices to pan juices. Pass sauce separately.
bladeroastslicedjj4.jpg

That is freaking incredible!! My God, you make me want to do a roast beef now!! Wonderful!!! :clap:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
John's favorite roast is the Eye of Round.
What I do is preheat the oven to 450.
Some times I put a clove of garlic in the middle of the roast.
place the roast in a pan fat side up DO NOT ADD Water.
cook for about 20 minutes per pound.
Wonderful for a special meal, and the left overs make great cold sandwiches, or hot roast beef with gravy sandwiches.

:heart:
Sounds good Jan.
When can I be expected? lol:smile:
Gretch and "the kids" can join us all at the table.:heart:

Jeff G.

Just like I do a pork loin.

Well season the roast and place on a rack. Get the oven really hot..500F.
cook at 500F for 15 minutes. Turn the heat down to 260 without opening the oven door. Let is roast at least 1 hour without checking it. Remove it from the oven when it is 5-8 degrees below the final temperature you want. For beef, I go with 140-145F so I take it out just above 130F.

It always has a nice crusting and it is VERY juicy inside.