Freezing herbs

GotGarlic

Some can; it depends on how you want to use them. When I have a lot of basil in the garden, I whiz it up in the blender with water, then freeze the mixture in ice-cube trays. Pop the cubes out and use them in tomato sauce, etc., all winter. Or I make pesto and freeze that. It doesn't work so well with some other herbs.

You can also dry herbs; some lose flavor that way, but sometime the flavor intensifies, as with woody herbs like rosemary, sage and thyme.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've frozen basil before by simply putting the leaves between pieces of wax paper then putting it into a plastic bag. It seemed to work great though I've have frozen peppers before though they lose their texture a bit but if cooking with them no problem.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
You can freeze most herbs with a little water in ice cube trays.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I have some fresh dill that I can't use right away - can that be frozen? If so, how???

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've never frozen dill but have dehydrated it as well as basil, pepper (all types), oregano, thyme, tarragon, dill, cilantro, parsley and even cat nip just to name a batch. I actually love having a dehydrator.

GotGarlic

I needed to dry some mint for the kibbee recipe I posted this morning. I preheated my toaster oven to 200 degrees, spread out the mint on a cookie sheet, and put it in the toaster oven for about 15 minutes. Worked perfectly :smile: You could do it in a regular oven, as well, but I only needed a small amount (1 tbsp.). Remember that dried herbs are much stronger than fresh, so you only need to use 1/3 the amount of dried as you would fresh.

You could also use the method posted previously to freeze it - put the dill and water into a blender, blend, put into ice cube trays, and freeze. Pop out the cubes and store them in the freezer in a ziptop bag. When you want to use some, take it out and let it thaw in a bowl at room temperature. Drain and use.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
The only problem with dehydrating in a conventional oven is most can't go low enough to work for everything. Hence me buying an inexpensive dehydrator a few years ago from Wal-Mart which has served me well for everything from jerky to herbs and pepper as well as fruits. Mine is a Nesco which is easy to use with from 90 deg up to 150 deg in small steps. I forget what I paid for it now as I got it a few years ago but worth what I paid for it and a cheap coffee grinder as well as spice bottles.

Attachments

• Nesco Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator.jpg
    Nesco Snackmaster Express Food Dehydrator.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 173

David C

I have frozen herbs successfully. I first picked the herbs from the stalks if required, then washed them and dried them using kitchen towel. When dry I chopped in a herb mill. Then spread them on a tray in the freezer. Once frozen I put them in a self seal bag ready to be taken out and used as you would fresh herbs. They do not need defrosting before use. I have used this method for parsley, dill, thyme, coriander, chives, garlic and basil. Small freezer tubs (500ml ice cream tubs) are also useful.

buckytom

Grill Master
I have frozen herbs successfully. I first picked the herbs from the stalks if required, then washed them and dried them using kitchen towel. When dry I chopped in a herb mill. Then spread them on a tray in the freezer. Once frozen I put them in a self seal bag ready to be taken out and used as you would fresh herbs. They do not need defrosting before use. I have used this method for parsley, dill, thyme, coriander, chives, garlic and basil. Small freezer tubs (500ml ice cream tubs) are also useful.

good info david. thanks, and welcome.

so, how is scarborough these days...

(please say "fair", please say "fair",...)

this is an herb thread, afterall.

did no one else notice the new guy, from the land of freakin' parsley, sage, rosemary, and i certainly have too much thyme?