Cherry jam question

Mr. Green Jeans

I put up sweet and sour cherry jam last weekend <still trying to get the stickiness washed off me>. In researching sweet cherry jam recipes, I noticed several called for pits to be saved, wrapped in cheesecloth, crushed and steep in the fruit/sugar mixture while it came to a boil. Wha't the reason behind this? Is it flavoring or do the crushed pits release pectin?

Where's Alton Brown when you really need him?

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
It is flavoring and I would skip this step. They provide a bitter almond flavor and it is not healthy as they contain cyanide. You were reading European recipes. It is still done but I wouldn't do it. You could substitute a tiny bit of almond extract if you wish.

Mr. Green Jeans

Thank you Susan. That makes sense as almond, peaches and cherries are all in the same genus; Prunus. The dark or bing cherry jam recipes were all European as a matter of fact. I will say that that evening after a day of picking and pitting I was not thrilled with converting kilos of sugar to US measure.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have made lots of different jams in my day. Even posted some of my recipes here.