What's for dinner tonight, 1/22/09?

chowhound

Funny you should ask :biggrin:

I had a pretty big lunch, I grilled a couple burgers, made some french fries and heated up some goulash that I made last night, so didn't have anything laid out or planned for dinner.
Sooooo, I took out some frozen pulled pork from a butt I smoked a while ago and plan to heat it through in a pan with lots of butter. Then sprinkle a little flour in there and cook that for a while. Then I'll add some corn, peas (if I have them), chicken stock and let that simmer for a while. I plan on serving it on mashed potatoes. I'm hoping it comes out OK. My only worry is the smoke taste might be a little overbearing. I'll let you know....

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
We had black bean soup made with red peppers, yellow peppers, onions, chicken, chicken stock, celery and corn. It was based on a recipe from Panera Bread, and it was good!

chowhound

I have to explore more beans. I think the closest I came to black beans was a can of refried beans that said it was made from black beans.

chowhound

And reach down and give that dog a hug for me..... I can't take it anymore looking into those old hound eyes! lol

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I am not sure, but I think I can post the recipe since we changed it up some... maybe Doc will chime in on that so I know for sure.
And she is a sap isn't she? My Beagle that is LOL. Kids name her Lassie in honor of our collie, LOL.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Heck yeah, if you changed it feel free to post it. :thumb:
I agree, very cute beagle. :D We had a dachshund that was 1/2 beagle. The barking and running away half. :yum: She would run across the street to bark at people that were just walking up the sidewalk. :hide:

Tonight we had leftover spaghetti. Spaghetti is one of the few leftovers that is as good or better the 2nd time around. (maybe we should start a thread on that ...)

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I think the same is true for soups and stews, better the second time around!
I will go find the soup section and post it up, it really was tasty!

And our Beagle is pretty good, until she starts braying!! Holy cow that will drive ya nuts! LOL.

chowhound

Ehhhh, that didn't come out bad. It was smokey tasting, but the sweetness of the corn and peas balanced things out on the fork. I'd make it again.
And no, this isn't a saucer. This is a full sized plate with a lot of mashed potatoes and pork butt gravy on it :pig:

Attachments

• 1-22-09 mashed potato dinner.jpg
    1-22-09 mashed potato dinner.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 132

chowhound

Always, Mav. Me and mashed potatoes always go overboard.

Pretty much what I described Giant. Smoked pork butt heated in butter, with a little flour, corn, peas and chicken stock.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Ahhhh.. there are the pics I have been missing!!! Thanks chowhound!!! Good to see ya back (you know what I mean!)

I made some terrible Indian chicken tonight... hubby and I both are a bit green right now with upset tummies. Wont be doing that again!

chowhound

Moose meatloaf. Cool.
You know, I never hear anybody saying they make a meatloaf out of ground venison. I wonder why that is.... I never had moose so can't compare the two.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Yea that's a good point, about the venison. And I wonder how moose tasted? Never had the chance to try it, or Elk.

chowhound

I heard somewhere that elk is the best meat of the deer family.
I don't know if that's true..... but that what I heard.

And here's one for you. Did you know you can boil moose nose and make a jelly out of it after it's chilled? Google it. lol