Goodbye to Cricket

SilverSage

Resident Crone
A few years ago, a small dog was ht by a car and left for dead in the road in Sarasota. A couple of women vets took her into their clinic and operated. They saved her life, but she was hopping around on three legs and had her belly all in stitches. She was a mess!

These women were treating one of our other dogs and asked us if we'd take her home for a while to recuperate. Needless to say, we've had her ever since.

Of all the dogs I've had, I've never seen one try harder to please. She really worked for your love and affection. I don't know how old she was or what her life was like before she adopted us, but she could never seem to give enough love & kisses. All she wanted was to be with you.

Well, over the years, it turned out that Cricket was epileptic, developed breast cancer and had pancreatic disease. That poor dog got dealt a real bad hand in life. The last few days she has been seriously declining. Today we had to say goodbye and put her down. The hardest part is when you hold her and she looks up at you while the vet is injecting the stuff. I felt like a traitor, assuring her that everything was going to be OK.

I don't know for sure why I'm posting this, except that I wanted to record somewhere that Cricket was a real god dog and I'm going to miss her.

Attachments

• Nov 2007 003.jpg
    Nov 2007 003.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 142

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Aww, what a sweet looking little girl!! I'm sorry SS! It's hard to lose a furbaby!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
I'm so sorry to hear about Cricket.

They have such a short time here with us.

This is one of my favorite poems:

LEND ME A PUP

I will lend to you for awhile,
a pup, God said,
For you to love him while he lives
and mourn him when he's dead.

Maybe twelve or fourteen years,
or maybe two or three.
But will you, 'till I call him back,
take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories
as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,
since all from earth return
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true,
And from the folk that crowd life's land
I have chosen you.

Now will you give him all your love
Nor think the labour vain,
Nor hate me when I come to take
my sweet Pup back again?

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord Thy Will be Done,"
For all the joys this Pup will bring,
the risk of grief we'll run.

We'll shelter him with tenderness,
we'll love him while we may,
And for the happiness we've known
forever grateful stay

But should you call him back
much sooner than we've planned,
We'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
and try to understand.

If, by our love, we've managed,
your wishes to achieve
In memory of him we loved,
to help us while we grieve,

When our faithful bundle
departs this world of strife,
We'll have yet another Pup
and love him all his life.

~author unknown~

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I'm so sorry for your loss SS. The hand she was dealt was not as bad as you may think...there are lots of dogs who never get to experience the amount of love that you gave her over the past few years.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
she was a beautiful Chi... my heart goes out to you... i dont know what i would do if something happened to my lil girl

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I can feel for you SS. I've had to do it a few times in my life and it is never easy.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You did good, Silver ... in all ways.

She was a beautiful girl.

Lee

Lefty

Yank
I am so sorry for your loss. I truly understand the loss you are dealing with. It is always hard to say goodbye to a true friend. The dog I have right now would be the hardest thing to say good bye to. My dog just wants to be part of this family which is what would make it so hard.

Please accept my most sincere condolences. I understand how difficult a time you must be going though.

L

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Awww, Silver, I'm so sorry. Cricket sounds like she was the epitome of Man's Best Friend. If there's a doggy heaven, I hope she's romping around on 4 legs and in perfect health, waiting til she sees you again one day.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sorry for your loss SS. I've had to do it also, hold them as the shot is administered. It's devastating. Sure tore me up too. You did what had to be done though. Remember the good times ...reading "Lend me a Pup" the poem Jim Slagle posted, did help me out. Hope it helps for you.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I know how hard it is to put down an animal that you love to be let her suffer would have been even worse. You were there to hold her paw, comfort her and ease in her to the after life. Yes, I believe all living things go to Heaven. You absolutely were a good mommy in all ways to your furbaby. She was a beautiful girl, inside and out.
(((((SilverSage)))))

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Silver sage - It is hard to say goodbye to a member of the family. I only hope this is true and we will all be together with them again.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

IamSam

The hardest part is when you hold her and she looks up at you while the vet is injecting the stuff. I felt like a traitor, assuring her that everything was going to be OK.

I don't know for sure why I'm posting this, except that I wanted to record somewhere that Cricket was a real god dog and I'm going to miss her.

Wow, does this bring back an awful day. I had to do the same thing for\to\with my buddy, Bert. I swear I went through a myriad of emotions, all in a millisecond -- guilt for doing it, relief that he was no longer suffering, joy for my memories he gave me, wistful that I would have no more .... The list goes on and on.

Blessings to you, yours and Cricket .....

And on another note, great sig. Perhaps Cricket is the embodiment of Mr. Thompson's view and right now she's barking to all the other puppies that she has, in fact, had a great ride .....

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Sage, I was doing OK reading your message until you said you were looking into her eyes when it was being done and then I lost it. :cry:

Its hard to tell you how bad I feel for you. I bet you loved Cricket a HUGE amount. Im horribly sorry Sage :cry: