Cooking cheese question

chowhound

I'm going to be making a casserole style dish in the oven. About 40 minutes or so at 400F. I'd like to put some shredded cheddar cheese on it and have it slightly crust up with a tinge of brown. You know the look I'm going for. Is that time and temp OK to put the cheese on in the beginning? Maybe wait til the last 20 minutes? I am clueless as I don't make much in the oven, let alone stuff with a cheese topping.

Any advice?

:)

FryBoy

You could put it on in the beginning IF the dish is covered tightly with foil, then remove the foil the last 10 minutes or so to get it browned and crusty.

If you want, however, add the cheese the last 10 minutes or so, then turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to get the crusty effect. Just keep a close eye on it as it can go from melted to charcoal rather quickly.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
You could put it on in the beginning IF the dish is covered tightly with foil, then remove the foil the last 10 minutes or so to get it browned and crusty.

If you want, however, add the cheese the last 10 minutes or so, then turn on the broiler for a couple of minutes to get the crusty effect. Just keep a close eye on it as it can go from melted to charcoal rather quickly.

thats what i do

think lasagna everybody..lol

chowhound

Thanks, Doug.

I only put Parm on top of my lasagna, Jeff. The rest of the cheese is incorporated into the layers. I thought there might be a difference between a soft cheese like cheddar and a dry cheese, or even green can "cheese", like parm.
ETA: and leaving it cook on top. Sorry. I had to put the chops on (lol).

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Do it from the beginning. Have it covered then uncover it during the last 20 minutes.

chowhound

Thanks, Vera. Next time I'll give it a try covered at first, since that's how I cooked the dish anyway, covered.