Creamed Soup Question

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Have any of you ever made a cream based soup recipe that calls for running it through a food processor as the final step, but didn't use that method?

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Are you just curious or do you have a specific recipe you want to do this with? I don't see any problem with not doing it, especially if you don't have a FP large enough. All you are doing is emulsifying (probably wrong word here) it so none of the ingredients are recognizable any longer, and probably entraining the soup with air to make it appear lighter. Personally, I like hearty soups with recognizable ingredients.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Are you just curious or do you have a specific recipe you want to do this with? I don't see any problem with not doing it, especially if you don't have a FP large enough. All you are doing is emulsifying (probably wrong word here) it so none of the ingredients are recognizable any longer, and probably entraining the soup with air to make it appear lighter. Personally, I like hearty soups with recognizable ingredients.

That's what I'm talking about Joe.
I see no reason to take a perfectly good soup with all the wonderful chunkiness, and break it down into a creamed texture.
I like a soup I can eat with a spork, if need be :brows:

homecook

Have any of you ever made a cream based soup recipe that calls for running it through a food processor as the final step, but didn't use that method?

Thinking about this it occurred to me I do this with my broccoli soup. It says to put in FP to get creamy. I don't I like the pieces of broccoli for the texture.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thinking about this it occurred to me I do this with my broccoli soup. It says to put in FP to get creamy. I don't I like the pieces of broccoli for the texture.

Well, the creamy turnip soup recipe I posted calls for using a FP.
Think I'll try it without that step and see how it turns out.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Some cream soup recipes don't require thickeners, like a roux. If it only uses cream, it may not get thick enough. The purpose of running it through a processor or using a stick blender is to thicken it to what is considered normal for a cream soup.

Having said that....it's your soup, Dolly...if you want a thinner base with larger cuts of what's inside, don't process it. Enjoy it just the way it is.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
You can also increase the amount of veg you are using, and pull some out with a slotted spoon. Blend the soup (I would use a blender, because soup would just run out of my FP), then put the remaining chunks back in. Viola, chunky soup with a thick flavored base!