Thin and Crispy Pizza Dough

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Lol--Can anyone tell me how to do this? I was thinking that I would use my pasta maker to help me get the dough thin enough. I have used packaged mixes for dough, but I have never been able to get it thin enough. It always just pulls back together and is too thick. Any dough recipes or ideas/tips?

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
JoeV will be able to help you lots on this subject... i have given out his recipe many times to people looking for a good pizza dough recipe and they have all said it was great... but when it pulls back from me, i usually add a little more flour or i start with some cornmeal on the counter and that solves the problem

hope he doesnt mind this..lol

http://flyfishohio.us/No%20Knead%20Pizza%20DOugh.pdf

GotGarlic

I've read that if pizza dough won't spread out easily, cover it and let it rest for about 15 minutes, and it should relax. HTH.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
A friend of mine swears by King Arthur Dough Relaxer. She buys it from their website.

I've never tried it, but she insists it solves that problem.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
When it's warm enough and has proofed, just gently pull it. I don't recommend rolling it; that tends to toughen the dough. If you hold it with your fingertips above the counter, you'll see that the majority of the dough hangs down. Picture a record album....and gently rotate the dough, using your fingers to manipulate it larger and larger and you move the dough.

Avoid pulling from the center. If the center is too thin you'll have a mess when you lift a slice.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips, Vera. I have seen that done, but I have never attempted.

lilylove

Paul makes great dough...
I make great sauce! lol... we're a good team.

I won't make crust since it has YEAST in it!!! I'm afraid...

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
when i make pizza dough i also use the hang method and just push dough out turning it to get an even circle. what helps me is once it get it thin and round (i only like thin crisp crust) i brush it with olive oil and that keeps it in place while i top it. hth

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
The method Vera described is the way to do it. That being said, I roll my dough out with a rolling pin, and it comes out very thin. I allow the dough to relax a couple of times because it will pull back otherwise.

I use a pizza dough recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, but I have no applied for permission to reprint it because I own the book. But, a resourceful lady has permission to reprint, so I will direct you to her website for the recipe. I actually freeze the dough, and have good results when I thaw it out, and it crisps up nicely on my pizza stone.

Joe

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
The method Vera described is the way to do it. That being said, I roll my dough out with a rolling pin, and it comes out very thin. I allow the dough to relax a couple of times because it will pull back otherwise.

I use a pizza dough recipe from The Bread Baker's Apprentice, but I have no applied for permission to reprint it because I own the book. But, a resourceful lady has permission to reprint, so I will direct you to her website for the recipe. I actually freeze the dough, and have good results when I thaw it out, and it crisps up nicely on my pizza stone.

Joe
Joe, I hate that pizza dough recipe! I don't like that it calls for cool water instead of traditional warm. It takes hours for my dough to rise. You like that recipe??? I tried it twice, different times of the year, different weather conditions...and it leaves me wanting...

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Alrighty......dough is mixed and resting. :confused: At this point I'm not sure if I mixed it enough or not. I was afraid to mix it too much because I've heard that overmixing/handling makes it tough. IDK--we'll just have to see tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed :wink:.

3641938593_e2aa6595ef.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Alrighty......dough is mixed and resting. :confused: At this point I'm not sure if I mixed it enough or not. I was afraid to mix it too much because I've heard that overmixing/handling makes it tough. IDK--we'll just have to see tomorrow. Fingers and toes crossed :wink:.

3641938593_e2aa6595ef.jpg
you can never over knead yeast dough!! you will wear your arms out and the dough will be fine.

AllenOK

We have a "Crispy Pizza" on our appetizer menu at work. I cheat, and use a 10" Lavosh for the crust.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
We have a "Crispy Pizza" on our appetizer menu at work. I cheat, and use a 10" Lavosh for the crust.
hmmmmmmmmmmm sounds good!! i love thin crust pizza. i am thinking of trying a split pita for the crust once to see how it would be. i'm thinking toast each half of pita first then go easy on topping so it will be handle-able (not a word but i know what it means LOL). in therory it sounds do-able but ....................

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Joe

Yum-ola, I used this dough recipe, and my pizza was better than I ever expected. I am as full as tick right now, so I will post pic's tomorrow. Thanks for the link/recipe, JovV.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Yum-ola, I used this dough recipe, and my pizza was better than I ever expected. I am as full as tick right now, so I will post pic's tomorrow. Thanks for the link/recipe, JovV.
Glad you enjoyed it.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
well i cheated last night when i made my pizza(focaccia)... the grocery store closest to us makes pizza dough and freezes it... its where i buy all my fresh italian bread and its actually pretty good.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Bam, I use the frozen dough balls all the time when I don't have the time or inclination to make my own dough. Lately, they've even been carrying a fresh dough, never frozen. It's an excellent product.

Cooksie, I'm so happy you had such good results with the cold water pizza dough. Maybe I just don't have the patience to wait for it to rise. You'll make dough again now, yes???

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Bam, I use the frozen dough balls all the time when I don't have the time or inclination to make my own dough. Lately, they've even been carrying a fresh dough, never frozen. It's an excellent product.

Cooksie, I'm so happy you had such good results with the cold water pizza dough. Maybe I just don't have the patience to wait for it to rise. You'll make dough again now, yes???

Oh yeesssss! I always thought making the dough was so much trouble, but it's really not. We've already started discussing what else we want to try.......calzones, strombolis.....:)

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Oh yeesssss! I always thought making the dough was so much trouble, but it's really not. We've already started discussing what else we want to try.......calzones, strombolis.....:)

around here we have panarotti's.... have made many many thousands of them... roll your pizza dough out as usual... put sauce and toppings on half...fold in half...seal...bake.... then how we do it around here is to dip it into the deep fryer for a couple of minutes so that it gets a nice color and a sheen to it

Cooksie

Site Supporter
JoeV will be able to help you lots on this subject... i have given out his recipe many times to people looking for a good pizza dough recipe and they have all said it was great... but when it pulls back from me, i usually add a little more flour or i start with some cornmeal on the counter and that solves the problem

hope he doesnt mind this..lol

http://flyfishohio.us/No Knead Pizza DOugh.pdf

OMG, I am so embarrassed. I used this recipe for the dough, not the other. :blush:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I've never made pizza dough before but I will now! That thin crust is exactly like the pizza I had in France. I was pregnant and I found a little restaurant in the tiny town of Biot. They made the most fabulous pizza with the thin crust just like you made, Cooksie (which you have posted pics of in another thread). I think I had it every other day for a month because it was soooo good. Thanks for starting this thread!

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
We like the Thin Crust here (Lo Carb thing for us) Or just build a pizza using
a Portabello for the crust!