Salty Bacon?

Shermie

Site Supporter
How many of you love bacon but hate the excessive amount of salt that's in it? I do!

You can beat that problem. I use the thick sliced bacon to do it though. It won't tear up like thin sliced bacon might.

I parboil the bacon in about an inch of water by letting it simmer for a few minutes in the hot water. I then pour the water off and let the bacon pan-fry slowly on a very low heat to keep it from ever burning.

And presto!!, you've got the best tasting crispy brown bacon that you ever had with far less salt than it had when you bought it!! It tastes better and you won't have as much salt in it! And it isn't burnt either!

This is good! I no longer have to deal with all that salt in the bacon. :)

Shermie

Site Supporter
I could and have, but it doesn't come in the thick sliced bacon.

And even THAT is sometimes overly salted. :yuk:

chowhound

I used to hate salty bacon and always bought the low sodium version, now regular bacon doesn't seem as salty as it once did. I think that's because I either buy Sugardale, which is very smoky and great for making ABTs, just the right amount of thickness to wrap tightly so you don't need toothpicks. And I've been buying this cheap bacon the local store has. It's $1.50/lb and tastes like bacon, but isn't overly flavored or salty. It's a lot better than some cheap bacons out there.

That's a neat method you have there Sherman.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks. Thought that someone would like the idea.

But for the life of me, I just can understand why smoked meat has to be made so blasted salty! And it has been given the bad rap for years and years.

Top health experts & officials have even linked smoked meat to cancer. Maybe because of the process used in smoking the meat. But I've eaten smoked meat ever since I was a kid! Not on a daily basis, but once in a great while.

Guess like everything else, it has to be eaten in moderation though. But it IS true though, that too much salt can raise your blood pressure to astronomical levels.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Salt is the natural way to cure bacon but with that said the brands I buy don't seem as salty as they did a few years ago.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Salt is the natural way to cure bacon but with that said the brands I buy don't seem as salty as they did a few years ago.

exactly...or you could make your own..its not really that hard just takes a little while

all you need is salt,sugar,and some mortons tenderquick

Shermie

Site Supporter
Salt was also kind of an addiction with Mom & Pop.

My mom battled HBP for years, and now some of her children are sharing the curse, as it is by inheritance. The things that she had, WE are now getting.

We lost a brother five years ago this coming Christmas to HBP, diabetes and alcoholism. He was only 43.

My oldest brother & I have diabetes and HBP. I was diagnosed almost three years ago with CHF and almost died. Twice! Mom, I was told by one of my sisters, had it before we lost her. My oldest sis has HBP as well. We all have to try to eat healthy if we want to be around much longer to continue to see each other.

Pop died in '86 from pancreatic cancer. it was a sudden shock to us all. He didn't want us to worry. No one even knew that he was sick!! I went to my niece's grad party yesterday eve. Some of my brothers (one of them her dad) were there. It was certainly great to see them there!! We all shook hands, hugged and shared a few laughs and talked about fond memories in the family. Kind of like a mini family reuinion (starting to cry)! Haven't seen them in years!!

I told them all that we all have to try to do better than Mom, Pop and our dear brother who died. They agreed with me. But I want then around for a long, long, long time and I don't want to lose any of them!

This is part of why and where stamping out excessive amounts of salt & fat comes in. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I cut a lot of salt out of my diet by mixing my own herb/spice blends. If I use a recipe like say Emeril's Cajun I leave the salt out the same with other mixes I use. This gives me a lot more control over the salt in my diet. I also use either good sea salt or kosher salts and stay away for the standard iodized table salts. I also go for the low sodium boxed stocks as well as soy sauce. I also never salt anything using soy sauce even if low sodium is used. Another good tip is avoid restaurant food as a recent survey of most high end restaurants a single meal could give you the required salt needed for a couple of days. The better Restaurants tend to over salt more than the inexpensive ones for some reason.