I'm curious!

Locutus

I'm curious! :D

My sainted mother always said that recipes and measuring devices were only for people that that were just learning how to cook! She said that an experienced cook "remembered" how to make a dish, and measured by "eyeball" and taste.

What are your thoughts on following written recipes and using measuring devices??? :tongue:

I generally use a "calibrated tongue.":mrgreen:
(OTOH, there are those misbegotten souls that would tell you that I'm not a great chef! :whistle: )

The Tourist

Banned
Ahhh, "zen" cooking.

I believe in the concept, in principle. That is, while I'm not much of a cook, there are things I do without gauges or directions.

For example, in all but the most critical aspects of assembly (like torqueing a bolt on an aluminum head) I don't use a torque wrench much. Techincally I probably should. But I know a certain degree of "feel."

I set reloading dies by feel. I certainly replace spark plugs by feel--finger tight and a 1/4 turn.

I do most of my sharpening by magic marker, a good loupe and a trusty "dragon."

I have often said that if a client ever watched me sharpen he'd grab the knife out of my hand is stark terror.

I get water, swarf, pumice, chrome paste and amaretto latte' all over everything I touch. Most people say, "Was there a bar fight in here or did someone lose the pin in a frag grenade..?"

I'm sure if my Aunt Clara would have trusted me in here kitchen I would be a whirlwind. However, my method of accomplishment might have also appeared as a train wreck.

KKsMom

Blond Member
I will always, ALWAYS use measuring devices!! Maybe this is because my depth perception sucks a$s or maybe it's because I truly can't tell the difference between 2/3 cup and a half a cup by eyeballing it. I never taste test my recipes before they are done either (unless you count licking the bowl of brownie batter).

joec

Gold Site Supporter
With me it depends on what the ingredient is I'm measuring as well as what I'm making. For example my pasta sauce I never measure anything since I've been making it for years however I sometimes use recipes that I acquire which I follow pretty closely the first time. Then if they worked out I will then mess with them a bit to make them fit my tastes better in some cases.

Locutus

I sometimes use recipes that I acquire which I follow pretty closely the first time. Then if they worked out I will then mess with them a bit to make them fit my tastes better in some cases.

Ahhhhhh So, glasshopper! :thumb: Another "Zen" chef! :chef::chef:

I also follow the recipe closely the first time, then I adjust to my taste. :)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
If the recipe is in my collection (computer based) I will make a note of what I changed or substituted with as well as the amount. Now I do a lot of measurements such as teaspoons and tablespoon in the palm of my hand which is pretty close most of the time. I also like my foods a bit hotter than most people would like so when it comes to adding hot peppers and such I will say to taste when I pass along a recipe instead of my exact measurements in most cases.