Moral conflict...

Constance

My teeth used to be OK...not outstanding, but healthy and acceptable. But by age 62, they are worn out. The enamel is gone off my front teeth, and the composite repair did not last.
Most of my back teeth have already been capped, thanks to insurance, but now we have no insurance and are going to pay for it out of our own pocket.
That means 8 porcelain crowns, which will cost $6,000.

Here's the thing...I started doing my math, and I could feed a family of four for a year on 6 grand.

So how vain am I, really?

Biskit

Not vain at all.
I'm not comparing you to a horse at all but........
When horses teeth go bad, they can't eat right. Chewing their feed is painful and soon the all but stop eating. They get skinny, get sick, and need to be put down.

People's teeth go bad. That makes it hard for them to eat healthy foods like fruits, veggie, or meats. They end up eating "easy" food that isn't as nutritional. Soon, their bodies start to go downhill.

To sum it up: It's not vanity to try to protect your health by fixing your teeth.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Personally, unless you’re very active with the public and intermingling all the time, I’d take functionality over vanity any day. No pain and good chewing is far better than a trophy smile.

Still, it is bothering you since you bring it up, so you have to consider self esteem…..one of the single most important things in anyone’s life. If you are going to feel bad by not doing it……and if you will feel great and have confidence and self esteem by doing it……then heck yeah! Do it.

Self esteem and inner confidence are often over-looked and are the root of many problems and worries. So money be damned, if it makes you feel better, it will show in the long run..…not just in your smile, but also in the way you carry yourself and interact with others.

So the real question is, how is your self esteem, and how will this decision (Yes or No) affect how you feel about yourself? Think about it……if you start feeling low and bad, it will cost more money to get yourself happy in the long run than it will cost to do the dental work now and protect your self esteem.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
To be clear….are we talking about dental work to keep teeth healthy and functioning…..or dental work to look pretty?

If it is functionality, then there is no question. Do it!

If is just to look pretty, then please see my previous post.

homecook

My teeth used to be OK...not outstanding, but healthy and acceptable. But by age 62, they are worn out. The enamel is gone off my front teeth, and the composite repair did not last.
Most of my back teeth have already been capped, thanks to insurance, but now we have no insurance and are going to pay for it out of our own pocket.
That means 8 porcelain crowns, which will cost $6,000.

Here's the thing...I started doing my math, and I could feed a family of four for a year on 6 grand.

So how vain am I, really?

Speaking from experience..........not at all!!

Here's my story, not to be repeated. I'm 55. Four years ago I had to have "all" but two of my teeth pulled and get dentures. I had terrible teeth and gum disease. I was sick alot and it was attributed to my teeth, so I had them pulled. The dentist I went to made the dentures. For 6 months they just wouldn't fit right and I was going in every week for adjustments. I couldn't eat, literally. I lived on ramen noodles. In that 6 month period I had lost almost 40 lbs. Not good!! I was at a loss on what to do. We also had no insurance. This dentist finally told me I would have to live with the way the dentures fit, he couldn't do anything else. I wouldn't go any where or go out to eat because they didn't fit right.
Fortunately my Dh wasn't going for that because he could see how miserable I was and withering away. We went to another dentist who suggested implants. $10,000, no insurance. I said "no way in hell could I justify that". Hubby said "Hell yes" and that's what I did. It wasn't pleasant, it hurt like hell and I couldn't eat too much for a good month afterwards.
I can now eat anything and everything. No problems whatsoever. The best thing I could have done for myself. I got my life back! I wasn't so self-conscious Vain...no.......Health.....yes.
The funny part of this is after I had it done my mother said to me one day...."Wow, you're really vain to have had all that done." It blew me away because she knew how sick I had been. If she wasn't my mother, I probably would have cold-cocked her.
So I say....Go For It if you can afford it. If it has anything to do with your health do it and down the road it could affect your health.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Speaking from experience..........not at all!!

Here's my story, not to be repeated. I'm 55. Four years ago I had to have "all" but two of my teeth pulled and get dentures. I had terrible teeth and gum disease. I was sick alot and it was attributed to my teeth, so I had them pulled. The dentist I went to made the dentures. For 6 months they just wouldn't fit right and I was going in every week for adjustments. I couldn't eat, literally. I lived on ramen noodles. In that 6 month period I had lost almost 40 lbs. Not good!! I was at a loss on what to do. We also had no insurance. This dentist finally told me I would have to live with the way the dentures fit, he couldn't do anything else. I wouldn't go any where or go out to eat because they didn't fit right.
Fortunately my Dh wasn't going for that because he could see how miserable I was and withering away. We went to another dentist who suggested implants. $10,000, no insurance. I said "no way in hell could I justify that". Hubby said "Hell yes" and that's what I did. It wasn't pleasant, it hurt like hell and I couldn't eat too much for a good month afterwards.
I can now eat anything and everything. No problems whatsoever. The best thing I could have done for myself. I got my life back! I wasn't so self-conscious Vain...no.......Health.....yes.
The funny part of this is after I had it done my mother said to me one day...."Wow, you're really vain to have had all that done." It blew me away because she knew how sick I had been. If she wasn't my mother, I probably would have cold-cocked her.
So I say....Go For It if you can afford it. If it has anything to do with your health do it and down the road it could affect your health.

Wow! Did you get the full denture implants? The ones with the two bolts/rods that the dentures click and attach too? I’ve seen those and thought they were really cool. My Grand Father would NEVER wear his dentures, but I bet he would have with these new implant techniques!

homecook

Wow! Did you get the full denture implants? The ones with the two bolts/rods that the dentures click and attach too? I’ve seen those and thought they were really cool. My Grand Father would NEVER wear his dentures, but I bet he would have with these new implant techniques!

Yep, those are the ones. I got four implants on top. The bottoms are just connected to the two remaining teeth I have. lol

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Yep, those are the ones. I got four implants on top. The bottoms are just connected to the two remaining teeth I have. lol

That's cool! It's really an awesome technique they came up with. Granted, the first few months look rather painful as you're putting in the bolts and waiting for everything to heal. But in the long run - awesome!

homecook

That's cool! It's really an awesome technique they came up with. Granted, the first few months look rather painful as you're putting in the bolts and waiting for everything to heal. But in the long run - awesome!

Oh, you should have seen me. :shock: My whole face was swollen and black and blue from under my eyes all the way down my neck. It looked like I went 10 rounds with Tyson. lol It was not fun to say the least.
In the long run it was worth it and they do look awesome if I do say so myself! And I can eat. :thumb:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Oh, you should have seen me. :shock: My whole face was swollen and black and blue from under my eyes all the way down my neck. It looked like I went 10 rounds with Tyson. lol It was not fun to say the least.
In the long run it was worth it and they do look awesome if I do say so myself! And I can eat. :thumb:

That is so cool! I'm tickled for you! Excellent!! :thumb:

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Lets get back to the no insurance; We were in a dental emergency last year.
Same thing no insurance. Check out this company- It is credit card just for health isues.
http://www.carecredit.com/
2. Where can I use CareCredit?
Your CareCredit card can be used at over 100,000 participating healthcare practices nationwide for services including LASIK, Veterinary, Dentistry, Cosmetic Treatments, Cosmetic Surgery, Hearing Care and more. Once you have CareCredit you can use it over and over without reapplying for you, your family, and even your pets!
I haven't been to the Dentist in over 10 years. Care Credit gave me enough Money for both My Wife and My total dental needs. I am paying them back about $75. A Month.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Same thing no insurance. Check out this company- It is credit card just for health isues.
Your CareCredit card can be used at over 100,000 participating healthcare practices nationwide for services including LASIK, Veterinary, Dentistry, Cosmetic Treatments, Cosmetic Surgery, Hearing Care and more. Once you have CareCredit you can use it over and over without reapplying for you, your family, and even your pets!
I haven't been to the Dentist in over 10 years. Care Credit gave me enough Money for both My Wife and My total dental needs. I am paying them back about $75. A Month.

Not bad! Nice tip Dan!!

homecook

My daughter Heather has that. She got it for her pets when she had to get 4 or 5 of them fixed. She didn't realize at the time she could use it for herself. lol I had never heard of it at the time I could have used it. Figures!

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
I can attest to the lovely smile and great looking teeth that Barb enjoys. I would never have guessed they were implants. I just thought you were among the luck few to be blessed with perfect teeth.

Regarding the insurance, see if a local college or university nearby has a dental program. My wife had 3 wisdom teeth removed at Case Western Reserve Dental College in Cleveland for less than $100. All work is supervised by the faculty, and the fee is just to cover the consumable items used in your procedure. I would imagine they do implants as well.

Our local junior college has a degree program for dental hygiene, and we can get out teeth cleaned for $7.50...just the cost of the consumable products used. They practically have to beg people to utilize this service because it is not advertised. We will be using them when my DW loses her job this summer, and the insurance goes away.

Good luck.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have full dentures as does my wife. I have problems with the fit on the bottom do to so much bone. At any rate I've not had a problem eating with them but will have implants done on the bottom set later this year. My tops have never been a problem and as my dentist told me top teeth are fairly easy it is the bottom one where all the movement occurs. My advise is get your teeth taken care of as tooth problems can lead to many other health problems including the heart.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Constance, go for it. You'll be glad you did. I'm amazed at how much your overall health can be affected by the condition of your teeth and gums.
I have periodontal issues. They did a deep root cleaning on my gums a few years ago and that helped but did not get it all. Just yesterday I had another checkup / cleaning and they recommended a new laser treatment that takes the place of the cutting the gums back and scraping my roots. The laser treatment is supposed to be a lot less painful, quicker healing time and more effective overall. It is expensive though, $2000 or so. They sent the paperwork into my insurance to get an idea of how much insurance will pay on the cost of the procedure. My dental insurance is not so good so out of a 2000 dollar bill if they pay 500 I'll be lucky.
Barb, congrats to you. You did the right thing by getting those implants. Now you'll have years without issues where if you had not had it done I suspect you would have had all kinds of problems and probably paid out the same amount in the long run and still had to deal with the pain. Good decision on your and DH's part. :thumb:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
There is no moral conflict at all. For your own health's sake you need teeth to eat and you need to take care of your mouth. Often, a bad mouth can be a sign of other serious issues like heart disease. Please take care of your health.

smoke king

Banned
I have full dentures as does my wife. I have problems with the fit on the bottom do to so much bone. At any rate I've not had a problem eating with them but will have implants done on the bottom set later this year. My tops have never been a problem and as my dentist told me top teeth are fairly easy it is the bottom one where all the movement occurs. My advise is get your teeth taken care of as tooth problems can lead to many other health problems including the heart.

I also have dentures on top. Didn't like them at first (as my dentist told me, it will feel like a car hood in your mouth, and he was right) but after getting used to them, learning how to glue them in etc, it was the best thing I've ever done. I've had them for over 5 years without a problem, I eat anything I want so long as they are glued in properly. I was kind of young for dentures when I got them (44 y.o.) but quite frankly, I can't wait until I need bottoms!!

Oh, and I almost forgot the point of my diatribe. The upper set cost 1800$, so its a bit cheaper as well.

Last edited:

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Is there a family of four that needs you to feed them for a year...or is that a hypothetical family??

Okay, you're 62...do you want to go the next 30 years with your front teeth missing?? Vanity?? perhaps...but we're talking about quality of life issues. Will missing the front teeth for all those years interfere with your image of yourself? Will it interfere with how others interact with you? Will it change your life in a meaningful (to you) way?

Get the work done. Take good care of them and yourself so you can enjoy them for 30 more years, at least.:mrgreen:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
Joec is right, teeth with decay or infection can have some serious consequences. But I really understand your feelings - you think about that money and what it could do for someone else vs what it will do for you. I do the same thing when it comes to spending money on myself, even if it's something like this. But remember, you are the matriarch of your family and the light of Kim's life. You must take care of yourself for them and that includes your teeth.

waybomb

My wife had poor dental care while living in Poland. Net result is she had bridges. They kept coming loose, etc. Always having to watch what she ate, and how she ate it. Gum disease. etc

Finally, the dentist convinced us to spring for implants. If you have questionable teeth - go implants. Scraoe and save for the procedure. Well worth it.

Plus, it was fun startling everybody when I would announce my wife was getting very firm hard erect pointing-in-the-same-direction implants.

homecook

My wife had poor dental care while living in Poland. Net result is she had bridges. They kept coming loose, etc. Always having to watch what she ate, and how she ate it. Gum disease. etc

Finally, the dentist convinced us to spring for implants. If you have questionable teeth - go implants. Scraoe and save for the procedure. Well worth it.

Plus, it was fun startling everybody when I would announce my wife was getting very firm hard erect pointing-in-the-same-direction implants.

OMG!! That is so so bad!! :bangin: It is funny though. I remember when I first told people I was getting implants. The looks I got were priceless!! You know they weren't thinking "teeth". They were well worth it though!

waybomb

Ya, and if my victims looked at me wrong while I was having fun, I went on to say how crooked and loose they are now, pointing this way and that, and what an improvement this will be. Hand sculpted to exacting dimensions. And nice to have with dinner.

Really floored the prudes.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
OMG!! That is so so bad!! :bangin: It is funny though. I remember when I first told people I was getting implants. The looks I got were priceless!! You know they weren't thinking "teeth". They were well worth it though!
Well, after reading yours and Waybomb's descriptions, I'm craving implants now! (And not the dental kind....)