Need some ideas with pork roast

American Woman

My 12 yearold spent the night at a friends house over the weekend, and all I hear about is how good his Momma cooks :yum:
I have to admit I am not a cook. I throw a lot together. When my in-laws get together we all bring a dish and my MIL, SIL, even the BIL! have a dish they bring to all the family stuff that everyone brags on. I have been in this family for 18 years and they have never said anything about something I brough :cry: That's because they are catty. I'm not THAT bad:evil:
So my son's friend's Momma fixed a pork roast with cord golden apples when he was over there. She said she put a little water at the bottom of the crock pot with cored apples on top and left it all day. It sounded easy and good so I tried it. I put the pork roast in the pot over night (our main meal is around 1pm) This morning I threw in a bunch of cored apples to cook until lunch. I added brown rice also. It was good. I was thinking pineapples would have been good too. Then I thought maybe a melody of fruits (in a fruit cake kind of way) with the pork roast and brown rice in the crock pot for a Thanks Giving bring along to the family "stuff". What do y'all think? Any other ideas for it?

The Tourist

Banned
This always presents a problem for guys like me. Most recipes begin with something like, "Take a sharp knife and clean dish."

The knife is no problem, but I haven't seen a clean dish for, let's see now...

I do now one thing about pork from pig roasts, and I went to a lot of them as a wayward lad. The longer and slower the little piggie spins, the better the meal.

My Mom was one of those "pineapple and cloves" girls from day one, and that's how I grow up as a boy.

So to my horror I watched a group of clearly insane young deviants dig a very deep hole, burn wood for hours and hours, and then toss the little oinker into the ashes and embers. I spent most of the night just breathing the aroma.

...then I ate some...

My opinion is that you can rub the slow-roasted little peccaries with just about anything you have on the shelf--from grape jelly to Vaseline--and the meat will be a delight as long as it's slow and low.

Now I'm hungry for pork, and I've become a Seventh Day Adventist...

American Woman

I don't know if I want to cry for the little piggy or shut up and eat it. I prefer to buy pork at the store already in unrecognizable pieces. :yum:
The jelly suggestion reminded me of a "must bring" for one of my SIL....can you beleive they insist she bring her special smoked mini wieners slow cooked in a crockpot of grape jelly and mustard? :eek: eh....it's good though. So I got some big shoes to fill :yum:

The Tourist

Banned
my SIL....can you beleive they insist she bring her special smoked mini wieners slow cooked in a crockpot of grape jelly

Ya' know, this might be an odd coincidence, but your SIL isn't a redheaded biker chick by the name of Irene with a "Hot Stuff The Little Devil" tramp stamp and the habit of running her tongue over her front teeth when she says "gotcha" would she?

If so, tell her she broke my heart...

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Ya' know, this might be an odd coincidence, but your SIL isn't a redheaded biker chick by the name of Irene with a "Hot Stuff The Little Devil" tramp stamp and the habit of running her tongue over her front teeth when she says "gotcha" would she?

If you know her, get me her number! :wink:

Hey, American Woman, did you make your pork dish yet?
What cut of meat were you thinking of and for how many people and what type of occasion is it?

American Woman

:yum:
I wish I could say I did, She sounds VEEERRRRYYYY interesting :shifty:

Sorry about the broken heart part of it though :blush:

American Woman

If you know her, get me her number! :wink:

Hey, American Woman, did you make your pork dish yet?
What cut of meat were you thinking of and for how many people and what type of occasion is it?
Well....my DH brought home the roast pork to use. I think the wrapper said it was a loin. (I mentioned I don't do a lot of cooking , right?) So I put a little water in the bottom and covered the hunk of meat with cord apple halves. Then threw in some brown rice for the last hour in the juices.
It was good. My DH ate a lot and then went to work.
I found out later it gave him diarrhea .:shock: So I guess that will be out for the family gathering.....unless......I do it anyway, and I tell only the one's I like about the pork dish:shifty: :yum:

RNE228

So I put a little water in the bottom and covered the hunk of meat with cord apple halves. Then threw in some brown rice for the last hour in the juices.

Poke that hunk of meat with a knife in a few spots, Shove some peeled and halved cloves of garlic in there. Toss it in a baking dish. Quarter some apples and place around it. Toss some diced garlic cloves around it; heck I'd use a head of garlic but we love garlic:clap:. Getcha a honkin big ole jar of sauerkraut, and pour it all around that roast. Now toss that in a 325-350F oven; I might cover it for a while maybe. Baste it now and then. Use a thermometer, and pull it out of the oven when done(most thermometers are labeled with temp, and range of done-ness for various meats).

Eat that with some spatzle, and a tall glass of Marzen.

Maybe we'll do that this weekend:bounce:

AllenOK

I haven't done a pork roast at home in years. Here's the last one I did:

Onion Mustard Crusted Pork Loin
Yields: 4 servings

2# pork loin, trimmed of most of fat, boneless
3 T Dijon-style mustard
2 t soy sauce
1 T garlic, minced
½ onion, chopped
½ t rosemary
1 T olive oil

Place pork roast on a roasting rack in shallow pan. In a small bowl, combine the mustard, soy sauce, garlic, onion, rosemary and olive oil. Spread mixture over the entire roast. Roast, uncovered, at 350ºF for about 1 ¾ hours, or when the internal temperature reaches 160°F. Allow the roast to rest and redistribute the juices, then slice and serve.
Good served with oven-roasted potatoes or spicy rice, green beans and a tossed salad with vinaigrette dressing.

If you want to just try a plain roasted pork loin, rub the roast down with salt, pepper, rosemary, and garlic. Place it in a roasting pan, and roast at 350 degrees F for about an hour. Check the temp with a probe thermometer. If it's not reading 150 - 155 degrees F internally, cook it a little longer. When you take it out, carry-over cooking will finish it off.

Be sure to make a gravy from the drippings.

buckytom

Grill Master
'merican woman,

i've made a delicious pork roast a few times in the past year in the crock pot with apples, onions, and herbs. i used a loin end standing rib roast. sort of a prime rib roast, but of pork.

render some maple bacon in a sautee pan, then brown the s&p seasoned roast on all sides in the fat. be sure to get good color, so take your time. this isn't supposed to be a sear. it's for the color/depth of flavor.

deglaze the sautee with a cup of chicken stock, and set liquid aside.

in the bottom of the crock pot, add a layer of 1/2" ringed sweet onions. place the browned roast on top, then surround with 3 to 4 peeled, cored, and sliced apples. nestle about 5 fresh sage leaves, and 8 sprigs of fresh thyme into the apples and around the roast.

pour the deglazing liquid over everything, then dot evrything with small cubes (about 2 tbsps) of butter. add a few splashes of worcestershire and maggi sauces.

cover, and cook on high for about 3 to 4 hours. check to see that the meat is fork tender. if it goes too long, it'll fall apart and the apples will disintegrate. it's not really a problem: just more gravy.

remove and plate the roast and any apples and onions that are still intact. pick out the thyme stems and large pieces of sage leaves, and discard them.

pour liquid from the crock pot into the sautee over high heat, and when bubbling add a corn starch slurry to thicken into a gravy.

btw, hope that no one noticed that the bacon disappeared...

Last edited:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I made this not long ago, and it was probably the best pork I've ever made.

Horseradish Pork Loin Roast
c:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CAll%20Users%5CDocuments%5CMy%20BigOven%20Recipes%5CData%5Chtm%5Cimages%5Cstar0.gif

Roated pork loin with horseradish coating
Yields: 4 Servings

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds Pork loin roast
1 tablespoon Olive oil
2 tablespoons Horseradish drained
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons Mayonnaise

Instructions
Preheat oven to 475°. Heat oil in a medium skillet and brown pork on all sides and transfer to a roasting pan with a rack. Mix mustard, mayonnaise and horseradish together, coat the top and sides of the roast. Cook 25 to 30 minutes in the middle of the oven until internal temperature reaches 145°. Remove and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut into ¼" slices.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I do a pork roast in the Pressure Cooker that DW loves. I start with a Boston Butt and brown it on all sides. Then add 1.5 to 2 cups liquid. I use 50/50 water and Apple Cider Vinegar. Bring it to pressure and let it cook 1 hour to 1.5 hours.

Now cool it, open the cooker and add chopped carrots, potatoes, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Return to pressure and cook another 30 minutes.

Cool, then remove the veggies to a bowl and keep warm. Take the meat out and shred/pull it and keep warm. Finally, make a slurry of flour and water and add it to the liquid in the Pressure Cooker to make a gravy. Plate the meat and veggies, then pour gravy over the meat (and veggies if you like). Pretty good. We like the vinegar flavor, but you could use plain water or some other flavored liquid.

Other than that, I typically smoke my Boston Butts for about 8 hours and then pull them. Serve on buns with your favorite BBQ sauce and coleslaw.

For a small sirloin roast (1-2 pounds) I just grill them with direct low heat. Takes about 30-35 minutes. Let it rest, then slice. I swear it is some of the best, most flavorful and tender pork slices I’ve ever had. Hmmm….makes me want to grill another one tonight. Guess I know what’s for dinner now!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Poke that hunk of meat with a knife in a few spots, Shove some peeled and halved cloves of garlic in there. Toss it in a baking dish. Quarter some apples and place around it. Toss some diced garlic cloves around it; heck I'd use a head of garlic but we love garlic:clap:. Getcha a honkin big ole jar of sauerkraut, and pour it all around that roast. Now toss that in a 325-350F oven; I might cover it for a while maybe. Baste it now and then. Use a thermometer, and pull it out of the oven when done(most thermometers are labeled with temp, and range of done-ness for various meats).

Eat that with some spatzle, and a tall glass of Marzen.

Maybe we'll do that this weekend:bounce:

This is close to how we do pork loin too which is about every other week. The only thing is take it out of the oven when it is about 145 deg. then let it sit in no time it will get to 160 deg so it will still be moist and not over cooked.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
This is close to how we do pork loin too which is about every other week. The only thing is take it out of the oven when it is about 145 deg. then let it sit in no time it will get to 160 deg so it will still be moist and not over cooked.
You know, this is probably why my pork loins are always dry. I will watch the temp more closely next time.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife was making them that way for ever taking them right of the oven at 160 degrees before. I was watching Emeril Live one afternoon and he did one and mentioned to take them out at 140 to 145 degrees and by the time they rest for a few minutes it will get to 160 easily. We cover it with a piece of tin foil while it rests. It also lets the juiced flow back into the meats which is true even with a steak. One other tip be sure the meat again regardless of the kind is room temp before putting it to the heat.

mixfinder

Years ago, trichinosis was a real and present danger found in some home grown pork. Our grandmothers always said, "make sure that pork is done, we don't want to get worms. As commercial production of pork increased, the industry found a way to provide pork free from from pathogens. While Iowa Pork Producers attempted to give names like, Pork sirloin, Pork prime Rib and Pork New York Strip to their product they also tried to reposition pork as meat that could be cooked medium and pink and no one would have worms poking through their spine. Consistent fabrication of cuts applied to all meat, IE Pork Prime Rib, Lamb Prime Rib, Beef Prime Rib was supposed to make the week end chef comfortable cooking any one of three, by recognizing how to cook a steak or prime rib etc. Americans began singing to the reduced fat diet in the 70's and pork fell of the carving stand as a healthy protein option. To become competitive, the pork industry set to work developing meat, with less fat and marbling, just as the beef industry has done. What happens when you cook meat with no marbling? GoodYear invented it around the turn of the century and called it Vulcanized Rubber. Go slow and low or hot and fast, chasing it to the table. With today's center of the plate proteins, chickens and turkey cook faster, its harder to find a good pot roast in the store and Leg of Pork roast is all most impossible to find, even as a special order. Pork shoulder or Boston butt are affordable and savory choices for roasting and braising. The highlights or pork roast methodology have been covered; a sear to develop fond and flavor, slow cooking to allow meat fibers to relax while cooking and ample liquid to replace the richness and moisture fat once lent to both pork and beef. Cheaper cuts tend to stew or braise more successfully than the leaner cuts like loin, which can be well served by barbecuing or pan frying. Some pork such as Hormell and Farmland, which you see in Costco, Sam's and wholesale outlets has been injected with a savory base to insure moistness and to tenderize the meat, increasing it's tolerance to over cooking. Most injections in meat and poultry is drawn into the meat through vacuum or reverse injection which helps to penetrate and soften the muscles as it is drawn through. Some say it gives pork the texture of Spam, but its just about the only way a restaurant can land a loin chop on the plate in under 10 minutes and have it meet the customer's expectations. If you want to experience the evolution of preteins on the dinner plate, cook an organic turkey side by side with a Norbest 20% injected turkey. Some would say organic turkey has set the industry back 50 years, to the birds of our grand mothers.