1/4 C. butter
1/8 tsp. pepper
Parmesan cheese and paprika
8-in. pie shell, unbaked
1 C. sour cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper

Pre-heat oven to 425F

Peel onions. Cut each in half, then cut crosswise, then sliced as thin as you can get them.
Melt butter in large saucepan and saute' onions until limp; do not allow to brown.
Combine sour cream and eggs in bowl. MIX WELL!!!
Add onions, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Pour into pie shell.
Sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese, then lightly with paprika.
Bake for 20 min.
Reduce heat to 325 ºF and bake 20 min. longer.​

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Lucky, I'm trying to eat fewer carbs. What do you think of making this in a glass pie dish, without the crust?

I love the recipe!

Lee

SRL

Lucky, I'm trying to eat fewer carbs. What do you think of making this in a glass pie dish, without the crust?

I love the recipe!

Lee

Onions, especially sweet varieties, are really high-carb. :sad:

There are a number of other sweet onion varieties if Vidalias or Bermuda Sweets aren't available in your area: Walla Walla Sweets, Oso Sweets, Texas Sweets/1015s, Imperial Sweets, Maui Sweets, etc.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Bummer, SRL! Thanks for the info. I have seen all but the Imperial Sweets in my area. I may have those, too, but haven't noticed.

Well, I can't give up onions, but I can cut down on breads, rice, potatoes and processed sugars.

I think I'd like to try this pie without the crust!

Lee

SRL

I think I'd like to try this pie without the crust!

Lee

Normally, onion pie has flour in the filling to help bind it. This recipe does not, so I don't know if it will hold together without the bottom crust. One suggestion that occurs to me is to bake it without the crust and then spoon it into individual tarts made using little crispy Parmesan bowls. Those are simple to make and the tarts will present nicely, once you garnish and/or finish them as desired.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Maybe you could substitute this crust.............

Low-Carb Pie Crust​
1 1/2 C. pecan halves
3 T. melted butter
2 packets Splenda
Grind the pecans to as close to a powder as you can get them in the food processor, being careful not to turn it into
pecan butter. Meanwhile in microwave melt butter in a glass 9 inch pie plate. Combine all the ingredients in the pie plate
and mix well and then press evenly up sides and over bottom of plate. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes and​
then cool thoroughly and chill.

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
Normally, onion pie has flour in the filling to help bind it. This recipe does not, so I don't know if it will hold together without the bottom crust. One suggestion that occurs to me is to bake it without the crust and then spoon it into individual tarts made using little crispy Parmesan bowls. Those are simple to make and the tarts will present nicely, once you garnish and/or finish them as desired.

The parmesan bowl idea appeals to me as well...........:heart:

Tickle Me Elmo

We made the onion pie this weekend with the last of our Vidalias. Delicious. Very like a quiche and I think next time we make it we'll add some chopped cooked bacon. What's not better with bacon? Thanks for the recipe Luckytrim.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Oh, SRL and Luckytrim .... both great solutions!

Thank you!

Elmo, you didn't take pictures????

Lee

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
I think the bacon idea is great......... Try it, and we'll adjust that there recipe Elmo !