Napa Cabbage Salad

Constance

You don't have to do anything, except pay taxes and die.

I love raw cabbage...try soaking it in salt water overnight. That makes it real crispy and good.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
really? OK! I just wasnt sure if Napa variety sould be cooked first before eaten. I think I just need a good nights sleep so I can think strait. ;)

Napa is very good raw. Has a very mild cabage flavor, and the leaf texture is more lettuce-like than cabage-like. Can use it in a regular salad, or do a salad with an asian twist adding water chesnuts, bean sprouts, snow peas, sesame seeds..... make a ginger or sesame dressing ..

Deadly Sushi

Napa is very good raw. Has a very mild cabage flavor, and the leaf texture is more lettuce-like than cabage-like. Can use it in a regular salad, or do a salad with an asian twist adding water chesnuts, bean sprouts, snow peas, sesame seeds..... make a ginger or sesame dressing ..

That sounds great! Now I need a ginger dressing recipe! :thumb:

Mr. Green Jeans

Sush, I've got a great recipe for Szechuan spicy pickled cabbage that calls for napa. Only problem is I'm in OR and the book is in WA. Gimme til Friday night.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 piece fresh ginger (1 inch long), peeled and grated
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
salt and pepper

1/2 medium napa cabbage--cored and cut into bite-size pieces
1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
1/4 cup cilantro
1/4 cup chopped peanuts

Directions

1. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, mustard, ginger, and oils until dressing is smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, bell pepper, cilantro, and peanuts. Add dressing to taste, and toss to combine. Serve!

Mr. Green Jeans

Re ginger: It will keep "fresh" if peeled & cubed. Pack into a jar and cover with <dry sherry not cooking sherry>. Cover and place in the refrigerator. It keeps for many months that way. Plus the sherry is great to use in stir fry sauces.

Mr. Green Jeans

Szechuan Pickled Cabbage

1 head napa cabbage (about 1 1/2#) coarsly chopped
1 1/2 Tbsp sea salt
4 Tbsp. sugar
4 Tbsp. white vinegar
Fresh ginger (2, 1/2" square cubes)
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. hot, red pepper flakes (more if you want heat)

Salt the chopped cabbage in a collender and allow to drain for about 1 hour. Rinse. Finely chop the ginger. In a small skillet, heat the oil and red pepper about 1 minute or until flakes start to brown. Transfer cabbage to a bowl, add vinegar and sugar. Pour the oill through a strainer onto the cabbage. Toss, cover and place in refrigerator for 2 - 4 hours.

SRL

I generally use the outer parts of the Napa Cabbage leaves raw and the inner white stems cooked. I actually prefer the outer parts of the leaves to lettuce for salads as it's less bitter. Here's a Filipino style Adobo Tuna Salad that I toss with chopped Napa Cabbage...

1 can solid white tuna in water, drained
1 T. Soy Sauce
1 T. Rice Vinegar
1 clove of Garlic, crushed and minced
1/4 t. ground Bay Leaf
1/4 t. Black Pepper
1/4 t. Salt
1/2 t. Sugar
1/4 c. Mayonnaise

Blend all until tuna is broken up and incorporated. Let stand in refrigerator for a few minutes. Toss with 1 lb. chopped Napa cabbage, greenish parts of leaves.

Last edited:

Deadly Sushi

I generally use the outer parts of the Napa Cabbage leaves raw and the inner white stems cooked. I actually prefer the outer parts of the leaves to lettuce for salads as it's less bitter. Here's a Filipino style Adobo Tuna Salad that I toss with chopped Napa Cabbage...

1 can solid white tuna in water, drained
1 T. Soy Sauce
1 T. Rice Vinegar
1 clove of Garlic, crushed and minced
1/4 t. ground Bay Leaf
1/4 t. Black Pepper
1/4 t. Salt
1/2 t. Sugar
1/4 c. Mayonnaise

Blend all until tuna is broken up and incorporated. Let stand in refrigerator for a few minutes. Toss with 1 lb. chopped Napa cabbage, greenish parts of leaves.

Thanks! (and welcome! :wave: )

Do you take the bay leaf out at any point?

SRL

Thanks! (and welcome! :wave: )

Do you take the bay leaf out at any point?

Thanks for the kind welcome. I do not remove the bay leaf for this recipe, since it uses ground spices because it's neither marinated or cooked.

A regular traditional Filipino Adobo (pork or chicken) uses whole spices - bay/laurel, peppercorns and garlic, which are removed after a slow cooking stage, prior to finishing by pan-frying to crisp.

Deadly Sushi

Thanks for the kind welcome. I do not remove the bay leaf for this recipe, since it uses ground spices because it's neither marinated or cooked.

A regular traditional Filipino Adobo (pork or chicken) uses whole spices - bay/laurel, peppercorns and garlic, which are removed after a slow cooking stage, prior to finishing by pan-frying to crisp.

Oh! Thats sounds wonderful! How much do you know about Filipino foods? I thing we all would be interested in learning more recipes.

dansdiamond

Food Sound Eng.
Gold Site Supporter
Napa Cabbage works great in Lumpia.
Lumpia Rolls

yield: Makes 8 rolls, enough for 4
This well-known Philippine starter combines attributes of many of the wrapped foods of other countries. It's filled like an egg roll, has an egg... more ›

images

subscribe to Bon Appétit Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons corn, grapeseed, or neutral oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 pound pork, chicken, shrimp, or a combination, minced
  • 1/2 cup grated or shredded carrot
  • 1/2 cup shredded Napa or other cabbage
  • 1/2 cup sliced fresh or canned bamboo shoots, drained if canned
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons Shaoxing wine or dry sherry
  • 8 Lumpia Wrappers
  • 8 green- or red-leaf lettuce leaves
  • Sweet Garlic Soy Sauce

Preparation

1. Put the oil in a large skillet and turn the heat to medium. A minute later, add the garlic and shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 15 to 30 seconds. Add the pork and cook, breaking up any lumps and stirring occasionally, until the meat loses its pinkness, about 3 minutes. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, and wine and remove from the heat.
2. Lay a lumpia wrapper flat on a work surface and place a piece of the lettuce on top. Line 2 heaping tablespoons of stir-fry mixture on top of the lettuce. Fold in the sides and roll tightly, sealing the seam. If necessary, with a few drops of water spread with a brush or your fingertip. Serve with either or both of the sauces.