Artichokes stuffed in the sicilian style

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
Grew up with this...usually for special occasions or when my mother was jonesing for them..

2 artichokes
2 garlic cloves finely minced
1/4 grated parmesan
1 c seasoned bread crumbs
1t lemon zest
1/4 c loosely packed chopped fresh parsley
S&P
olive oil

Cut stems and tops off artichokes. Gently seperate leaves and rinse under warm water. Combine all remaining ingredients except olive oil. Force breadcrumb mixture into artochoke leaves, pull them away from the center gently. Split crumb mixture between the two artichokes.

Put into saute pan with sides at least an inch high. Drizzle 2T olive oil over each artichoke. Fill pan with water, to come up half an inch to an inch. Cover and gently simmer for 20-25 minutes.

Artichokes are done when the leaves come off easily. Eat by placing a whole leave with breading into the mouth and scraping the contents including the tender heart from the leaf int the mouth.

When you get to the center, remove the hairy choke, sprinkle with S&P and any breadcrumb mixture you saved on your plate from the cooked artichoke and eat.

weekenddinner039.jpg

weekenddinner040.jpg

weekenddinner041.jpg

I'll post a picture of the finished artichoke when I get around to actually cooking them.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Those are so good and I've had them almost if not exactly the same way. Love artichokes.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
weekenddinner048.jpg

To me...these are better than the best caviar, the most expensive truffle!

I'll send these pictures to Marianne....she'll be on the phone in 5 mintues!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great pictures!

I make them the same way, but I bake them in a Corningware casserole dish, with maybe a half inch of water in the bottom of the dish, covered, at 350 for an hour.

I love these with chicken wings, since no knives or forks are needed. Just need individual bowls for bones and leaves.

One of my favorite meals!

Lee