What's on your burger??

Locutus

The Pizza poll inspired me to ask.

I know in different parts of the country, hamburgers come anywhere from a bun with a meat patty, to fully dressed with lettuce, tomatoe, mayo, mustard, cheese, and onion. (My fave is fully dressed :in_love: )

How do you make them at home?? :confused:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
This should be of no surprise... but if ordering a burger out, I would get tomato, jalapeno and cheese!!!

Lately tho, I have been making mini hamburgers at home using those sweet hawaiian rolls. Cut the rolls in half, butter and grill. Then add mayo and some cracked pepper and the burger.... oh my oh my! OH... after I did that a few times, then I started adding the sliced fresh jalapenos....

The mayo thing was something I got off a Good Eats episode. It is really good.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
I love mayo on my burgers!

Yea.. I thought the dude (Alton Brown) was crazy when he said to put only mayo and cracked pepper on your burger. "Trust me" he says, "It will be one of the best burgers you have ever had!".

So we tried it... and man was that the bomb!! I don't even think of putting mustard on my burgers anymore.

The Tourist

Banned
Yikes.

When I need a burger, it's because I need protein--right now.

I go to a local Perkins where they know to serve me a large--dripping--bacon cheeseburger, and four eggs served "over easy" so I can dip the burger into them.

Yeah, I know. It's a gazillion calories and enough grease to lube a Ford truck.

But I must quell the beast. And it's certainly cheaper than a tranquilizer dart, three days in the slammer, 209 bucks in bail money and a government mandated MMPI2 test...

Locutus

Lately tho, I have been making mini hamburgers at home using those sweet hawaiian rolls. Cut the rolls in half, butter and grill. Then add mayo and some cracked pepper and the burger.... oh my oh my! OH... after I did that a few times, then I started adding the sliced fresh jalapenos....

Try oven, (or gas grill) roasiting those jalepenos whole and then putting them on the burger! :w00t:

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Ok.. I'm gonna have to roast me some peppers. And that is a good idea because my jalapeno and cayenne pepper plant are makin more peppers than I know what to do with. I just picked another peck the other day... I got pepper mash, dried peppers, pickled peppers.... now I suppose I will have roasted peppers.

How do you roast them????

Locutus

I was digging through the freezer yesterday, and I came across what was left of a loaf of home-made Rye bread. There was also a pre-made hamburger patty in there.

I had left over sauerkraut from the night before. (The wife won't even look at kraut, much less eat it.)

So, sez I ! I wonder how this would work. I cooked the burger and toasted the Rye bread in the oven. Put a thick slice of Swiss on it and let it melt. Then added the fried burger and the rewarmed kraut!

Well......... not the best burger I've ever eaten, but good enough that I'll do it again the next time I have left over kraut! :tongue:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Man I'm a kraut lover be it in the form of Kim Chee or good old sauerkraut. I've never tried it on a hamburger but have with corn beef, pastrami sandwiches, hot dogs or brats.

As for what I put in my hamburgers are I grind my own meats so I know exactly what I'm getting.