Planned outage this weekend.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
FYI ....
I am planning an outage for this weekend. This is part of the server upgrade process. I have to switch IP's and that can take some time to propagate the network.
I am planning to shut things down around 5 am EDT Sunday morning. With luck all will be back up by noon on Sunday. The new IP address will not get to everyone's router at the same time. Some will have access sooner than others. That is something I have no control over. The last time I did this I was one of the last ones to be able to connect, and I was only 40 miles away.

Net Tractor Talk will be up during this time and I will post updates there as time permits.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
No problem for me I won't be near a computer from early Friday morning to Sunday evening. That is also great as I won't have to go through so many posts when I get back on line.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Net Tractor Talk will be up during this time and I will post updates there as time permits.

I think we should all just go over there and crash their party! We could have topics like "Tractor Motor Salmon", and "How Much Dough Can You Knead With Your PTO"! :yum::yum::yum:

chowhound

I think we should all just go over there and crash their party! We could have topics like "Tractor Motor Salmon", and "How Much Dough Can You Knead With Your PTO"! :yum::yum::yum:

At PTO speed? That would be 82 lbs. You can use your UDS as the mixing bowl and need only set the PTO shaft into the drum to start kneading. No implements needed. Tip over onto an oiled tarp and wrap it up for two days (+ or -). Bounce your loader on it a few times to knock down after the first rise. Yep.

Thanks for the head's up, Doc.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Doc - Do you have the new IP so that I could access it via IP instead of DNS?

The IP will be assigned tomorrow so I'll have it then. But I run multiple sites on one server all via that one IP, so accessing it via IP will not work as far as I know. Try to access via the current IP and let me know if you figure out a way to get there.

Sounds like a GREAT plan to me. :yum: :yum: The tractor site is gaining new members like crazy but they all want to read and not post. I can't figure that one out.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I'm weening users away from the cpanel crutch. The server running these forums is not running cpanel. cpanel is rather expensive plus it can be a resource hog.

edit to add:
Anything that can be done within cpanel can be done outside of cpanel. So with the right info maybe you could connect via IP. If I figure that out before Sunday I'll post the info here.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Lefty - www.nettractortalk.com
Doc, et al - If one were to edit their hosts file and put in the new IP. the http 1.1 protocol would send the full url with the request to the new server, which is how the server knows which site to send it ot. The trick is to take it out of the hosts file after the DNS starts working.

Andy

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Andy, there will be some other 'stuff' going on so that the server will not even be hooked up to that IP until 11am or after. I believe it will be resolving before it's hooked up, so the IP stuff should not be an issue. I will share the IP once I get it though.