Opps! Raw Penuts

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I went out tonight because I had a bad taste for peanuts in the shell. I picked up this brand.... Jimbos Jumbos. I figure I would give em a try. I got home and tore into the bag.... broke open the shell..... CHOMP! :ohmy:
BLECK! what the heck!?!? I looked at the bags ingredients... RAW peanuts! You would think they would have it in a big font or something. Anyhow... I searched and found this:

Peanuts are susceptible to molds and fungal invasions. Of particular concern is aflatoxin, a poison produced by a fungus called Aspergillus flavus. Although better storage and handling methods have virtually eliminated the risk of aflatoxin ingestion, aflatoxin is a known carcinogen that is twenty times more toxic than DDT and has also been linked to mental retardation and lowered intelligence. To help prevent aflatoxin ingestion, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also enforces a ruling that 20 parts per billion is the maximum of aflatoxin permitted in all foods and animal foods, including peanut butter and other peanut products. If purchasing raw peanuts, it is still wise to ensure that the peanuts have been stored in a dry, cool environment (the fungus grows when the temperature is between 86-96°F (30-36°C) and when the humidity is high). Roasted peanuts are thought to offer more protection against aflatoxin, plus roasting is also thought to improve peanuts' digestibility. If roasting peanuts at home, do so gently--in a 160-170° F (about 75°C) oven for 15-20 minutes--to preserve the healthy oils. For more on the effect of high heat roasting on nuts, please see the following article.

The Tourist

Banned
Yikes! I know the fear and the terror of impending doom!

It is at times like this I seek solace upon the wisdom of WC Fields. He, too, was afraid of injury, poison and death. He opined:

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Sage words, indeed. I endeavor to always have a few sips of Don Julio at the ready. While venomous snakes cannot live in the tundra that is Wisconsin, Al Gore's predictions have me overly cautious.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
:lol: Well I didnt have anything to drink but I DID roast the peanuts in the oven. Pretty darn good I must say! :thumb: