I can't stand this, but I will eat that!!!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
This was something that I thought about a long time back and found interesting. There are certain foods I can't stand, but then there could be a variation of it that I do like.

For instance, I HATE peas, but I like split pea soup. Peas done in any other form or fashion I will not touch. Peas in anything but split pea soup, I dig out and discard.

Another one is ketchup... can't stand the stuff but I will eat tomatos... in fact I love them!!!

I can't stand milk, even the sight of milk makes me queasy... but I will drink buttermilk... love the stuff!!!

Share yours!

The Tourist

Banned
The only thing I can think of in that category is "prime rib." Perhaps I got a bad serving once, but I don't like it. Now, I'll eat steak or beef tips until they throw me out.

Oh, one other thing. I don't like redheads or candy, but I like candy red motorcycles.

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Yeah, I guess we all have our idiocentricities.
We are close to opposites Sattie. :yum:
I don't care for peas but will eat them. I sure don't like pea soup or split pea soup.
Ketchup is okay, I'll have it on fries sometimes. I'll never have a tomato on my burger ... and will eat a tomato ..but could do without them just as easily. But ketchup and tomatoes are indeed different. Liking one does not mean you'll like the other.
I don't care for broccoli or cauliflower, but if my wife fixes them with cheese of them ummmm I like them.
I like milk. Drink some every day or two (usually with a snack) but buttermilk does not tough my lips. yuck! I like butter, and I like milk but NOT Buttermilk. :yum: :D
Good thread Sattie!!!

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Another I thought of is peanuts/peanut butter. I like them both, but I have met folks that hate peanuts but love peanut butter. Or vice versa.

Chico, prime rib maybe one of my least favorite cuts of meat... I'm like you, maybe I have not had it served right, so I don't know a good one if it bit me in the butt!

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
Another I thought of is peanuts/peanut butter. I like them both, but I have met folks that hate peanuts but love peanut butter. Or vice versa.

Chico, prime rib maybe one of my least favorite cuts of meat... I'm like you, maybe I have not had it served right, so I don't know a good one if it bit me in the butt!

Good thread!!!
Hmmmmmm.... lets see. I dont care for peanut butter much... but I can eat th heack out of peanuts! Youre right!!!! :ohmy:

Whats that sandwich with ham but its also French Toast? HATE that thing! Its evil! But I dont mind a ham sandwich and french toast is good too.

Tripe.... dont like that at ALL.... there HAS to be other combinations I dont care for. Give me time and I'll think of em!

The Tourist

Banned
Tripe.... dont like that at ALL!

Does art mimic life or life mimic art?

Of all the obtuse recipes I have ever come across, certainly "haggis" is at the top of the list. So I googled the recipe:

1 cleaned sheep or lamb's stomach bag
2 lbs. dry oatmeal
1 lb. chopped mutton suet
1 lb. lamb or venison liver, boiled and minced
2 cups stock
sheep heart and lights, boiled and minced
1 large chopped onion
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

This is the most traditional of all Scottish dishes, eaten on Burns Night (January 25th, the birthday of Scotland's national poet, Robert Burns, 1759-1796) and at Hogmanay (New Year's Eve). It is really a large round sausage; the skin being a sheep's paunch. The finest haggis of all is made with deer liver, served to the skirl of the pipes, cut open with a traditional 'sgian dubh' (black stocking knife) and accompanied by small glasses of neat Scotch whisky. This recipes dates from 1856.

Now, as you'll notice, I highlighted the name of the knife, sgian dugh. Phonetically, it is more rightly pronounced "skeen dew."

The amazing part of this story and thread is that I just sold this very knife to a client this past weekend. True! I never thought that he might be a haggis afficionado!

http://www.coldsteel.com/braveheart.html

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Well after trying local dishes for 93 countries I sure have a long list of things I never want to eat again. With that said here is a good example in that I for one have never seen enough onions to hide the taste of liver. I can't even walk into a house if it is cooking just makes me gag. Now on the other hand I absolutely love a local rice sausage made in Louisiana called boudin. It is basically 4 lbs of pork shoulder and 1 lb of pork liver boiled down with spices, herbs and scallions. It is then ground added to rice, more scallions, herbs and spice then stuffed into sausage casing then blanched again before storing. Hot spicy taste that will clean out your head for sure but I've tasted it with out the liver and it losses something and just isn't any good. The same with dirty rice another Cajun dish that uses liver with rice. Go figure.

The Tourist

Banned
That sounds just horrible!!!!

Technically, haggis is placed in the realm of "sausage." And to be fair, there are numerous types of sausages that use animal intestines as casings for the minced and seasoned filler.

Having said that, I'm not sure I feel any better about haggis, or the English "blood pudding."

I will be more than happy to sell you the oddball knives it takes to slice this stuff.:yuk:

Locutus

Many years ago, (more than 40, actually) when I was a very young soldier, I ate a large serving of liver. Shortly thereafter, I had "more than my share" of Scotch whiskey.

To this day, I still love Scotch whiskey, but I almost gag just at the thought of liver! ;)

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Many years ago, (more than 40, actually) when I was a very young soldier, I ate a large serving of liver. Shortly thereafter, I had "more than my share" of Scotch whiskey.

To this day, I still love Scotch whiskey, but I almost gag just at the thought of liver! ;)

Good to see you over here Locutus :thumb: I'm with you on gaging over liver. Funny though as I have the same reaction to scotch whiskey as liver. :yuk:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter

Welcome to Net Cooking Talk Locutus!!!! I'm glad you found us. :thumb:

I'm with you on both counts. When I was young and dumb and in the US Navy (No f-ck VA.) I had a little to much scotch and ended up in jail over a weekend. Don't ya know they served LIVER for one of the meals. YUCK!!!! I still like scotch on occasion but the smell of LIVER reminds me of jail. I hate that stuff. :D

Locutus

Ahhh, if ye've ne'er had Haggis, ye've ne'er lived, lads and lasses! :chef::chef:

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! ;)

Now to those of you who don't like prime rib! I'm with you completely when it comes to restaurant prime rib! For some reason, unknown to me, restaurants seem to think that prime rib is the American sushi, so they serve it raw.

I cook it at home, and it's delicious once it's cooked! :heart: I love it!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You are so right on the way they server Prime Rib. America's Sushi!!! What a good way of saying it. :D

How do you cook yours at home to get it just right?

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
Now to those of you who don't like prime rib! I'm with you completely when it comes to restaurant prime rib! For some reason, unknown to me, restaurants seem to think that prime rib is the American sushi, so they serve it raw.

I cook it at home, and it's delicious once it's cooked! :heart: I love it!

You are so right on the way they server Prime Rib. America's Sushi!!! What a good way of saying it. :D

I'm with you guys. Lot better cooked instead of raw. :bounce:

Locutus

Either in the oven with a meat thermometer until it hits 175-180 degrees, or I will slice it raw and cook it on the charcoal grill like a steak. :chef:

I've also seen folks slice prime rib thin and fry it in a black iron skillet that's blazing hot, but I've never had any luck with that method. Mine come out tasting, and chewing like fried round steak. :cry:

Locutus

This thread's too good to let die! :punk::punk:

So let me ask you about the only cheese that gags me.

"Bleu cheese"

What say you, lads and lasses??? :chef: good, or bad??? :bangin:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Limburger cheese, can't even stand to be around someone else eating it.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
That and liver smell like a result of the same thing, a bad bowel movement. Just plain make me gag.

Calicolady

This thread's too good to let die! :punk::punk:

So let me ask you about the only cheese that gags me.

"Bleu cheese"

What say you, lads and lasses??? :chef: good, or bad??? :bangin:

Love blue cheese or gorgonzola.
Limberger, not to be confused with Liederkranz, which doesn't exist anymore, NOT! Oh! That's gotta be the ripest cheese I've ever smelled!

Raisins. I love the brown ones out of a box. Put them or worse, the gold ones in anything; rice pudding, danish,
and I'll spit the whole thing out.
I don't like surprises in my food.

lilylove

I love raw salmon on sushi but really don't care for it cooked at all...

Love most cooked cabbage but hate really really hate and can't spell sourkrut..lol

Calicolady

I'm the opposite, Trish. Forgot about cabbage.
Will eat coleslaw and kraut, but not cooked, except cabbage rolls- like JoeV's.

homecook

I love lima bean soup but don't serve me lima beans as a side dish. Yuck!
I love banana pie, banana pudding but don't give me a banana just to eat..........it makes me gag. (get you're mind out of the gutter)

Barb